VaBeach_Eagle

Giants fans... Talk about the Giants

On 3/15/2019 at 2:26 PM, BKLYNYG said:

There's been some really lazy reporting around the league recently (mostly from ESPN) and it started with the Raiders. Talking heads just bash a team for trading away or letting go of star players without looking at the full picture. Mack and Cooper are great players, but the Raiders sucked both with them and without him, so why not trade them and use the draft capital to build a more well-rounded team? Now the Raiders have 4 picks in the first 35! That's a proper rebuild. 

The Giants moves haven't been as dramatic, but they held back from making a one-dimensional safety the highest paid player at his position, traded an under performing DE for an above average G and then traded a WR for three valuable assets. Yes the Giants need a QB, but I'm sure that's part of the plan. How can it not be, this is Eli's last year in NY regardless of what happens in the draft. So they either draft his successor this year and use Eli as a mentor (I like Daniel Jones in that scenario) or draft a slightly more talented player next year and give him the keys right away. In the mean time they're building other areas of the team so when the new QB arrives the cupboard isn't bare. Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't sound like the worst plan. The biggest mistake they made so far was signing OBJ in the first place and paying his bonus. Oh well, ish happens. If they let him walk they would have got bashed for that as well. Oh and they also got bashed for signing a WR to a contract of that size. How can ya win? 

I would be real careful with assuming this is Eli's last year in NY.  It may be, it may not be.  I will say it "probably" is but I would have said the same thing entering last season.  It just depends on how things shake up with the draft.  I'll tell you what, if the Giants can get Murry I think they will.  If they do Eli won't start all 16 games.  The problem is I think he's going #1 no matter what and I don't think the Giants are interested in Rosen unless he comes on the cheap. 

12 minutes ago, Happyfoosball said:

I would be real careful with assuming this is Eli's last year in NY.  It may be, it may not be.  I will say it "probably" is but I would have said the same thing entering last season.  It just depends on how things shake up with the draft.  I'll tell you what, if the Giants can get Murry I think they will.  If they do Eli won't start all 16 games.  The problem is I think he's going #1 no matter what and I don't think the Giants are interested in Rosen unless he comes on the cheap. 

You think the Giants are going to draw up a brand new contract for Eli for his age 39-40 years? I’d put the chances of that at less than 1%. 

1 minute ago, BKLYNYG said:

You think the Giants are going to draw up a brand new contract for Eli for his age 39-40 years? I’d put the chances of that at less than 1%. 

5 years, $132 Million. Fully guaranteed!

:groovy:

34 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

giphy (6).gif

after all the crap this trash a** front office has done, i fully expect these morons to avoid drafting a QB again..

5 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

I really dont want to sound so jaded, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if they gave him another extension. Mara is still in love with Eli and seems content to live on past glories.

1 hour ago, Gmen4ever said:

I really dont want to sound so jaded, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if they gave him another extension. Mara is still in love with Eli and seems content to live on past glories.

The apple fell far from the tree, his father cut Simms even though he didn't want too, he understood the business..

19 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

5 years, $132 Million. Fully guaranteed!

:groovy:

Yeah but on the bright side, draft day will be fun for the next half decade

16 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

Yeah but on the bright side, draft day will be fun for the next half decade

Very true. During the season, we all hope we end up picking 32nd. After the season, we all wish we were picking 1st. 

As a football fan, I do feel a little sympathy for Giants fans since Dave Gettleman is their version of Chip Kelly when it comes to player personnel. As an Eagles fan though, I like it. If he keeps this up, it'll be 2 guaranteed wins per year for the Eagles, so here's hoping he does.

9 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

As a football fan, I do feel a little sympathy for Giants fans since Dave Gettleman is their version of Chip Kelly when it comes to player personnel. As an Eagles fan though, I like it. If he keeps this up, it'll be 2 guaranteed wins per year for the Eagles, so here's hoping he does.

Don't feel bad Pocahontas. I wouldn't take back one move he's made so far this off season. He's set the team up to have a bevy of picks this year and a ton of cap space next year. If he can find a solid QB in one of the next two drafts we'll be in really good shape. 

47 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

Don't feel bad Pocahontas. I wouldn't take back one move he's made so far this off season. He's set the team up to have a bevy of picks this year and a ton of cap space next year. If he can find a solid QB in one of the next two drafts we'll be in really good shape. 

I'm not quite sure how everyone is missing this. I'm not fan of DG but people running around declaring that there's no plan whatsoever are shortsighted at best.

1 hour ago, vincent_NJG said:

I'm not quite sure how everyone is missing this. I'm not fan of DG but people running around declaring that there's no plan whatsoever are shortsighted at best.

You build a team though the draft and plug holes with free agency. We're set up to do just that. 

I actually think the dudes on this board have been pretty fair when evaluating the Giants moves. It's the media that's cracking me up. The same guys that laughed at the Giants for putting up with OBJs antics are the same ones that think the franchise will crumble now that he's not on the team. People are acting like we traded Tom Brady in his prime. 

5 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

I wouldn't take back one move he's (Gettleman) made so far this off season. He's set the team up to have a bevy of picks this year and a ton of cap space next year. If he can find a solid QB in one of the next two drafts we'll be in really good shape. 

Then vincent_NJG Sez:  I'm not fan of DG but people running around declaring that there's no plan whatsoever are shortsighted at best.

I think it's mostly media types who say and do this sort of thing. It's what they do. 

Remember the dopes at the NY Post after Foles was Super Bowl MVP last year?

Almost the very next day they were yelling, "The Jets should sign him . . . NOW!!    No matter what it costs!!"

And they even continued it a bit by implying that the Giants were in the mix for signing Foles this year.   STUPID.

I knew as long as Eli was a Giant Foles would never be signed by them. Aside from the cost factor (huge) There's

no better 'bridge' QB on the planet than the one who's been there the last 15 years or so. Eli is in the last year of

his contract anyways which makes me think the Gmen will try to make a QB deal this year so Eli can mentor him. 

UNLESS  they've targeted someone they really like in next year's draft. But then they almost have to deliberately

tank the season to be in position to draft him . . . or at least get close. Giants fans (fanned by the rabid NY media) can

only tolerate so much losing before going ballistic so I don't know if option #2 is even an option . . . but I think not.  

6 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

I don't really feel that bad, lol. Gettleman has a pretty good record in the draft and the OBJ compensation was quite good, assuming Peppers works out. Even so, a lot is going to have to work out for this plan to come together. We'll see what happens, but shedding good young players usually doesn't work out exactly as planned. Finding Sheli's replacement is job #1 for the Gnats. Time will tell if they do. 

On 3/21/2019 at 12:45 AM, PoconoDon said:

We need to win at least the first game. We finally tied them in the all time series. Now we need a lead. 

What I don’t get is In these down years they used early picks on two pro bowlers with Collins and OBJ you had to have a terrible season to have been down low enough to get them only to eventually trade them away.

Collins is better than Peppers all day and OBJ is the best wr not named AB in the league and he was paid 21 milly for last year. Somebody def Fed up.

Now I will say Barkley is a beast and he looks to be an upcoming leader so don’t trade him, lol.

11 hours ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

What I don’t get is In these down years they used early picks on two pro bowlers with Collins and OBJ you had to have a terrible season to have been down low enough to get them only to eventually trade them away.

Collins is better than Peppers all day and OBJ is the best wr not named AB in the league and he was paid 21 milly for last year. Somebody def Fed up.

Now I will say Barkley is a beast and he looks to be an upcoming leader so don’t trade him, lol.

Different regime drafter Collins and OBJ.

Collins is a much bigger name than Peppers due to his monster all-pro 2016 season but he hasnt been close to that since and gets shredded in coverage. Peppers is about 90% of the player and better in coverage for less than 10% of the cost.

While OBJ is on par with AB as a player, there were reports that the Giants felt he was potentially on par with AB as a distraction and feared that he could eventually pull an AB which would crush the Giants leverage in a trade deal.

Eli Manning says Philadelphia is the toughest place to play: LINK

Manning said the hardest hit of his career remains the one he got in his first NFL appearance, in 2004, from the Eagles’ Jerome McDougle.

"It was my welcome-to-the-NFL play,” he said. "Fifteen seasons later I have not taken a bigger hit. That’s a good thing. I do not know if I could take that hit now.”

Speaking of playing in Philadelphia, Manning said it his most challenging road venue. In most places, young fans of the opposing team still are happy to meet a visiting NFL player.

"You go there, and that 9-year-old kid is giving you the double finger,” he said. "Not a thumbs-up. Not, ‘We’re No. 1.’ And he said something about my mom; I had to Google what it was. It’s just different. It’s a different culture.”

All I have to say is... Bravo!

image.png.779db0e1be9456f731b5c22b33518ed8.png

On 3/21/2019 at 10:05 AM, BKLYNYG said:

I am convinced the Giants are keeping Eli around strictly to tank this season. You just can't come out and say that, especially in New York. Signs seem to be pointing toward acquiring young talent for two years, then bringing in Russell Wilson and more high draft picks in 2020.  

I would be shocked if they have any interest, at all, in Josh Rosen. If they thought he was a QB worthy of leading a franchise they wouldn't have drafted a RB last year.

1 hour ago, SBorBust said:

I am convinced the Giants are keeping Eli around strictly to tank this season. You just can't come out and say that, especially in New York. Signs seem to be pointing toward acquiring young talent for two years, then bringing in Russell Wilson and more high draft picks in 2020.  

I would be shocked if they have any interest, at all, in Josh Rosen. If they thought he was a QB worthy of leading a franchise they wouldn't have drafted a RB last year.

I'm obviously a homer, but I don't think the Giants are going to be as bad as everyone thinks. They won't be playoff good, but they won't be in contention for a top 5 pick. The OL will be vastly improved and they still have plenty of play makers on offense. Hopefully they use the majority of their 12 picks on defense (13 if you count CB Sam Beal who they selected with a 3rd round supplemental pick last year). 

That's my guess. Part of me can't endure another lost season, but the other part of me wants Tua from Alabama (Russell Wilson is my favorite QB in the league, but why get him if you can get his 22 year old clone). I would take a flier on Josh Rosen for a second or third round pick. No way he was worth the #2 overall last year.