VaBeach_Eagle

Giants fans... Talk about the Giants

2 hours ago, boogyman said:

Giants should just trade the Jets to get Webb back. I hear he had all the tools.

He does have all the tools. Arm, feet, size, accuracy, etc

He just sucks. Happens quite often in the NFL that a player appears to have all the tools but sucks. They're called busts.

1 hour ago, vincent_NJG said:

He does have all the tools. Arm, feet, size, accuracy, etc

He just sucks. Happens quite often in the NFL that a player appears to have all the tools but sucks. They're called busts.

Oh. I never could have guessed he wouldn't make it.

2 hours ago, boogyman said:

Oh. I never could have guessed he wouldn't make it.

Far easier to bet on who won't than who will. 

14 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

Far easier to bet on who won't than who will. 

I agree. And for that matter, sometimes those that wont are very, very obvious.

9 hours ago, boogyman said:

I agree. And for that matter, sometimes those that wont are very, very obvious.

Yeah. Webb's truckload of NFL game footage made that abundantly clear

45 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

Yeah. Webb's truckload of NFL game footage made that abundantly clear

Yup. And it's also pretty clear why there is no NFL game footage. Almost the same reason there is no NFL game footage of you and I. Because all three of us, to different degrees of course, suck at playing NFL football.

1 hour ago, boogyman said:

Yup. And it's also pretty clear why there is no NFL game footage. Almost the same reason there is no NFL game footage of you and I. Because all three of us, to different degrees of course, suck at playing NFL football.

Oh yes. His lack of game footage had nothing to do with being drafted as a backup and developmental prospect behind the longtime franchise qb

I get the whole wanting to take extra jabs bit but this one is a bit weak 

21 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

Oh yes. His lack of game footage had nothing to do with being drafted as a backup and developmental prospect behind the longtime franchise qb

I get the whole wanting to take extra jabs bit but this one is a bit weak 

Oh come on, even Geno got a game.

11 minutes ago, boogyman said:

Oh come on, even Geno got a game.

And that came with no scrutiny and such whatsoever right?

Also reports were that Webb was supposed to get some starts post Geno's but the backlash made the brass buckle and put Eli back.

Again, does Webb probably suck? Sure.

Did he have all the tools? Also yes. On paper, combine, and college tape.

To say it was obvious to everyone that he was going to suck is disingenuous.

With your argument, I could have said that Mahomes was a bum at this point last year due to a lack of game footage.

Again, I get you want to take the extra jabs and all but there's no getting around the fact that this one was a weak attempt.

3 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

And that came with no scrutiny and such whatsoever right?

Also reports were that Webb was supposed to get some starts post Geno's but the backlash made the brass buckle and put Eli back.

Again, does Webb probably suck? Sure.

Did he have all the tools? Also yes. On paper, combine, and college tape.

To say it was obvious to everyone that he was going to suck is disingenuous.

With your argument, I could have said that Mahomes was a bum at this point last year due to a lack of game footage.

Again, I get you want to take the extra jabs and all but there's no getting around the fact that this one was a weak attempt.

So the coaches looked at Webb. Then at Geno. Then back and Webb. Then back at Geno. Said, man we need to see if someone else can play. I know we have seen Geno in almost 30 games over 4 years or so, and we know exactly what he is, but let's throw him in instead of the guy we just drafted and have never seen in a real game. Newsflash, they already knew Webb was a wasted pick.

16 minutes ago, boogyman said:

So the coaches looked at Webb. Then at Geno. Then back and Webb. Then back at Geno. Said, man we need to see if someone else can play. I know we have seen Geno in almost 30 games over 4 years or so, and we know exactly what he is, but let's throw him in instead of the guy we just drafted and have never seen in a real game. Newsflash, they already knew Webb was a wasted pick.

*Sigh* yep had nothing to do with Geno openly being McAdoo's pet and McAdoo was desperate to save his job and figured the experienced guy just might have a somewhat better shot than the third round rookie. McAdoo was hoping that Geno would at least be decent so he could just blame Eli for the offense.

To top it off, Webb was cut by a completely different coach and GM.

You know it was a weak jab but your pride won't let you admit it. It's all good though. I get it. Slow time of the year.

11 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

*Sigh* yep had nothing to do with Geno openly being McAdoo's pet and McAdoo was desperate to save his job and figured the experienced guy just might have a somewhat better shot than the third round rookie. McAdoo was hoping that Geno would at least be decent so he could just blame Eli for the offense.

To top it off, Webb was cut by a completely different coach and GM.

You know it was a weak jab but your pride won't let you admit it. It's all good though. I get it. Slow time of the year.

All I know if Geno is ahead of you in the pecking order, your career is likely to be short and uneventful.

I posted this over in 411, but I'll post it here also:

Eli Manning on Dealing With Eagles Fans in Philadelphia: 'It's a Different Culture'

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/27/eli-manning-giants-eagles-fans-trash-talk-different-culture

Be proud, Eagles fans, you're at the top of Eli Manning's list.

At an NYIT Center for Sports Medicine/Head Injury Association panel discussion moderated by Max Gomez, Manning talked about which NFL road venue was his least favorite to play at.

And the answer may not surprise you. It's Philadelphia.

But what makes Philly such a daunting place to play for a two-time Super Bowl MVP? Is it the noise? Is it the types of comments they yell? Do they throw snowballs at him as if he was Santa Claus and it's 1968 all over again?

"You go there, and that 9-year-old kid is giving you the double finger," Manning said, according to Neil Best of Newsday. "Not a thumbs-up. Not, 'We're No. 1.' And he said something about my mom; I had to Google what it was. It's just different. It's a different culture."

That's right. It's the kids that help throw Eli off his game at Lincoln Financial Field.

But it's been 15 years that Manning has taken at least one trip to Philadelphia each season. Is this something that changed over time? Has it always been this way? Did it get better or worse as he got deeper into his career?

"Now I see him and he's got his 9-year-old kid with him," Manning said. "Same deal. It runs in the families down there."

So it's generational.

Manning also mentioned during the panel that the hardest hit he took in his career came in his first ever game. It was in Philadelphia, of course, and the man responsible was defensive end Jerome McDougle.

"It was my welcome-to-the-NFL play," he said. "Fifteen seasons later I have not taken a bigger hit. That's a good thing. I do not know if I could take that hit now."

Add in the fact that Manning is 10-20 for his career against the Eagles in the regular season and 0-2 against them in the playoffs, it seems like Philadelphia really has his number.

Yeah, he alone has won twice as many Super Bowls as the entire franchise, but that's inconsequential to this conversation.

Think that’s still McDougle’s one and only career highlight. 

17 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Think that’s still McDougle’s one and only career highlight. 

By far.

With every passing day the OBJ trade looks better and better. I hate the idea of losing top end talent,  but I would repeat this trade 100Xs over. You can just tell he's bitter we shipped him off to Cleveland. He thought he was bigger than the team and the Giants said, nah. 

5 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

With every passing day the OBJ trade looks better and better. I hate the idea of losing top end talent,  but I would repeat this trade 100Xs over. You can just tell he's bitter we shipped him off to Cleveland. He thought he was bigger than the team and the Giants said, nah. 

This brings up an interesting question... what is the monetary value of a 1st round pick?

They got a 1st and a 3rd for him. The value of letting him walk before 2018 would be a 3rd round comp pick. So, they basically netted an extra 1st.

By my count, this pick cost the Giant ($17.5 million) - (2018 operating revenue generated solely by Beckham).

Conventional wisdom was that it was dumb to sign him. Is it actually dumb to spend 7 or 8 figures on a 1st rounder?

6 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

I think the Giants are and will be better off with OBJ not on their roster.

17 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

This brings up an interesting question... what is the monetary value of a 1st round pick?

They got a 1st and a 3rd for him. The value of letting him walk before 2018 would be a 3rd round comp pick. So, they basically netted an extra 1st.

By my count, this pick cost the Giant ($17.5 million) - (2018 operating revenue generated solely by Beckham).

Conventional wisdom was that it was dumb to sign him. Is it actually dumb to spend 7 or 8 figures on a 1st rounder?

They actually got a first, a third AND Jabrill Peppers, who was a first rounder a year earlier. Seems like a pretty good haul to me. Normally I would say the only bad part about this trade is that they should have done it a year earlier and avoided paying him the bonus but 1) who knows if this kind of deal was on the table last year. Remember he was hurt and a pest and 2) the cap hit is meaningless for a team that’s still several pieces away from the playoffs. Cap space is extremely valuable for teams looking to fill a few gaps, but you build through the draft. 

In regards to your question, I think you pay for guys that are worth it, especially if they play premium positions (QB, LT, DE, CB). OBJ is great, but the negatives outweigh the positives IMO.  

10 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

They actually got a first, a third AND Jabrill Peppers, who was a first rounder a year earlier. Seems like a pretty good haul to me. Normally I would say the only bad part about this trade is that they should have done it a year earlier and avoided paying him the bonus but 1) who knows if this kind of deal was on the table last year. Remember he was hurt and a pest and 2) the cap hit is meaningless for a team that’s still several pieces away from the playoffs. Cap space is extremely valuable for teams looking to fill a few gaps, but you build through the draft. 

In regards to your question, I think you pay for guys that are worth it, especially if they play premium positions (QB, LT, DE, CB). OBJ is great, but the negatives outweigh the positives IMO.  

You’re right. I completely forgot about Peppers and they would have traded OBJ last year. (Nick Foles leaving for nothing is fresh in my mind and I wasn’t thinking. Duh.)

My point was just that, in a vacuum, I’ll bet there are many owners who would pay $10 million for the right to draft 17th.

22 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

You’re right. I completely forgot about Peppers and they would have traded OBJ last year. (Nick Foles leaving for nothing is fresh in my mind and I wasn’t thinking. Duh.)

My point was just that, in a vacuum, I’ll bet there are many owners who would pay $10 million for the right to draft 17th.

Yup, there’s def a good number of owners and GMs that would pay $10M for a first rounder. 

6 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

Addition by subtraction.

One thing that might be fun for Giants fans this season, if the Browns are once again the Browns, bait him on Twitter by asking if he's a Cancer in the locker room yet. Of course, if the Browns win a bunch, there's no fun to be had there.

7 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

I loved OBJ on the field. He made the Giants watchable but him going off the rails today on Twitter brought back a lot of memories for Giants fans who felt obligated to defend his antics.

Gonna miss his spectacular play but not his nonsense. 

Kind of reminiscent of Shocked on a greater scale.

Every Giants fan's favorite or top 3 favorite player. Fun to watch. Got everyone pumped with his passion and highlight reel plays. After awhile though, his brash attitude, penalties, injuries and just all around annoyance grew thin on many even before he was traded.

OBJs Twitter rants today confirmed that the Giants made the right call.