Don Corleone

Raiders agree to trade Khalil Mack to Bears

Very rare that a top player gets traded days before the season starts so it's exciting. And I'm sure Bears fans are very happy. But damn that is a dumb move. I mean we don't know what the trade value is yet but it's going to be high. And that's a team nowhere near ready. 

Perhaps the Bears determined the Packers with Khalil Mack would further the talent gap in the division and felt the need to catch up in the arms race? On offense, you can see the influence of the Eagles 2017 offseason with what the Bears did in free agency so far.

If you look at what the Packers have been able to do this offseason with their new GM, it's pretty impressive for a guy in his first year in the role. Picking up an extra 1st round pick for 2019 and still draft two first-round caliber CBs in Alexander and Jackson, along with the free agency acquisitions of Graham and Wilkerson is pretty solid work for a rookie GM.

18 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

Curious how badly they just mortgaged their future for him

I think the current belief is two firsts and Trevathian. Huge price. Too great I think. 

7 minutes ago, Shocker54 said:

2 first round picks is ridiculous 

Wait till they have to sign him...... He is the best defensive ends in the game

2 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Wait till they have to sign him...... He is the best defensive ends in the game

Yeah I don't think anyone argues that. But they have a young qb, who I'm not sold on but let's see, and they need to build around him? They added receivers but enough quality? I don't think so. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the current belief is two firsts and Trevathian. Huge price. Too great I think. 

So they traded a LB for a DE

Why not trade an offensive player

1 minute ago, mike030270 said:

So they traded a LB for a DE

Why not trade an offensive player

They don't have any offensive players worth a damn other then maybe Jordan Howard

Just now, bwestbrook36 said:

They don't have any offensive players worth a damn other then maybe Jordan Howard

Great great point. And to me just further highlights that they needed those draft assets to help their young qb. 

4 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Would have been funny if Trey was the player

30 minutes ago, Shocker54 said:

2 first round picks is ridiculous 

Not just 2 first round picks, it's reportedly 2 first round picks + and a contract bigger than what Aaron Donald just received.

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Not just 2 first round picks, it's reportedly 2 first round picks + and a contract bigger than what Aaron Donald just received.

Troll

I like the move for Chicago.  Defense was decent to pretty good last year, now they just became top 10 borderline top 5.

If Roquan Smith becomes what he is projected to be, they could be scary good.

6 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

I don't understand what the hurry is on the Bears end.

They could eventually have just gotten him for cash... Raiders and Mack would have parted ways at some point. 

3 minutes ago, Shocker54 said:

I don't understand what the hurry is on the Bears end.

They could eventually have just gotten him for cash... Raiders and Mack would have parted ways at some point. 

It's not a bad move for the Bears, they have the capital and also Trubisky is only in his 2nd year in the NFL, so they have some time before he's due for a new deal.

3 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

:roll:

I just went and read through all of that lol. Just typical clowns obsessed with getting a certain player with no rational thought lol

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

It's not a bad move for the Bears, they have the capital and also Trubisky is only in his 2nd year in the NFL, so they have some time before he's due for a new deal.

It's still a steep price to pay given they don't know what they've got in Trub. He could be really good. He could go on to be a good nfl QB. My gut feel is that if he is then he's going to need help. In my opinion he's not a QB to improve those around him. And if I'm right then that's a problem given what they've given up. 

31 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

They brought in some pieces this year.

• Trey Burton
  • Allen Robinson
  • Taylor Gabriel

I am not sure how good they will be as an offense but they should be better. 

I know almost nothing about their O-line.

I think it all comes down to what Trubisky does in year 2 though.

Allen had 85.5 sacks in 6 years for Minnesota. I think that trade worked out for them.

Allen had 43 sacks in 4 years before that huge trade. Mack has 40.5 in 4 years.

I could see why Chicago thinks he is worth a high price (setting the bar on draft pick costs will always expose you to criticism)

I don't expect Cousins, Rodgers, and Stafford are happy about this.