Sign in to follow this  
dawkins4prez

Best NFC ever?

7 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

In 86 the Bears and Gaints both went 14-2, that may be the season you're thinking of.

I was just off with the final W/L totals. I was referring to 1990 when they both faced off against each other at 11-1 and again in the playoffs

It stands out because they were both powerhouses and the Giants were undefeated walking into the Eagles game the week before 

The Birds won which is why they were 11-1

11 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Oh, ok, let's define juggernaut first.  Juggernaut is a team that should win 12+ games.  If you are doing it year in year out, you are a perennial juggernaut.

The only team that qualifies would be the Pats.  I would hesitate to even call them that.  I think of juggernauts like the 85 Bears, 86 Giants, 89 49ers, teams that were going to win no matter what and everybody knew it was coming and there wasn't a damn thing they could do to stop it.  There aren't any teams like that in the NFL right now.

8 hours ago, pdmkob said:

I believe there was a year in that time period where both the Giants and the 49ers won 14 games in the same season. 

In the ten years between 86-95 the only team to win a Superbowl that wasn't in the NFCE was the 49ers. 

Realistically it should have continued with the NFC onto another Packers dynasty with Favre and Reggie but they just got complacent 

Its kind of that experience that makes me think Doug will be on these guys after this Superbowl. The Packers GM was later quoted as knowing they would lose the minute they started casually strolling down the tunnel before the game. 

Even more fuel to Doug's fire is the repeated quotes from Shanny to his players who beat Doug's Pack, that if you want to be really special, you got to do it twice, in which they did. 

That season the Giants were 13-3 and the 49ers were 14-2.  The Giants were playing with a backup QB though and were really on house money.  They were the best coached team I've ever seen.  For fun look at their coaching staff.  They had an all time great defense and an offense that did just enough but I wouldn't qualify them as a juggernaut.  The Bills and 49ers were both more talented.  They just weren't as well prepared. 

The 91 Redskins were a juggernaut.

3 minutes ago, Happyfoosball said:

That season the Giants were 13-3 and the 49ers were 14-2.  The Giants were playing with a backup QB though and were really on house money.  They were the best coached team I've ever seen.  For fun look at their coaching staff.  They had an all time great defense and an offense that did just enough but I wouldn't qualify them as a juggernaut.  The Bills and 49ers were both more talented.  They just weren't as well prepared. 

The 91 Redskins were a juggernaut.

Looking back at those days just make me weep for my heros like Reggie and Randall. 

The teams they competed against and actually beat pretty regularly in the NFCE were so DAMN dominant throughout the league. 

If you put that same Eagles team on the field in the sorry arse late 90's and early 2000's when guys like Trent Green, Kerry Collins, Steve McNair, and Drew Bledsoe were the top tier QBs and Dilfer and Brad Johnson are hoisting Lombardis it would be a slaughter. Look at what Randall and Carter were doing in Minny with just fumes in their tanks. 

28 minutes ago, Happyfoosball said:

The only team that qualifies would be the Pats.  I would hesitate to even call them that.  I think of juggernauts like the 85 Bears, 86 Giants, 89 49ers, teams that were going to win no matter what and everybody knew it was coming and there wasn't a damn thing they could do to stop it.  There aren't any teams like that in the NFL right now.

Even the Pat's during the Belichick/Brady era have it easy when placed into context. Their division has been garbage throughout their reign, and the Steelers and Colts were pretty much locks every year with their weak divisions as well. 

The AFC West has been a muddled garbage pile since Marty Ball left San Diego until Mannings Broncos which underachieved

The Ravens may have popped up occasionally in the never ending quest for a serviceable QB

The Titans rode a defense once

But it was pretty much Manning preying on Jeff Fischer mediocrity, the always expansion Texans and Jags

The Steelers preying on the lowly  Browns and Marvin Lewis decades of medicrity while Baltimore crosses their fingers hoping not to waste that defenses career

And then the West trying as hard as they can to win a division with a losing record and back into the playoffs at 7-9, producing such formidable legends as Jake Plummer, Tim Tebow, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith, Trent Green and then there was the lowly Raiders

2 hours ago, pdmkob said:

Looking back at those days just make me weep for my heros like Reggie and Randall. 

The teams they competed against and actually beat pretty regularly in the NFCE were so DAMN dominant throughout the league. 

If you put that same Eagles team on the field in the sorry arse late 90's and early 2000's when guys like Trent Green, Kerry Collins, Steve McNair, and Drew Bledsoe were the top tier QBs and Dilfer and Brad Johnson are hoisting Lombardis it would be a slaughter. Look at what Randall and Carter were doing in Minny with just fumes in their tanks. 

I was talking about this last year at some point.  We have some of the best QB play in the history of the NFL right now.  It's absolutely ridiculous.  A lot of it is the rule changes, but a lot of it is these guys are just really good. 

The 90 Eagles teams probably could have done what the Ravens did in 2000.  They had Cunningham and they had arguably the best DL of all time.  But honestly, if McNabb weren't a putz they would have won a ring from 200 to 2004 anyway.  The what if games are really pointless. 

I would say at that time the very best QB's were Farve, Manning, McNair.. I'm sure I'm forgetting aobut someone.

2 hours ago, Happyfoosball said:

I was talking about this last year at some point.  We have some of the best QB play in the history of the NFL right now.  It's absolutely ridiculous.  A lot of it is the rule changes, but a lot of it is these guys are just really good. 

The 90 Eagles teams probably could have done what the Ravens did in 2000.  They had Cunningham and they had arguably the best DL of all time.  But honestly, if McNabb weren't a putz they would have won a ring from 200 to 2004 anyway.  The what if games are really pointless. 

I would say at that time the very best QB's were Farve, Manning, McNair.. I'm sure I'm forgetting aobut someone.

The way these QBs are protected today is crazy too. 

Randall took a lot of beatings partly due to a bad O line but also due to a Defense who literally held the philosophy of getting to know the back up QB. 

Some of the reason the infamous "House of Pain" game was so bad on the Oilers offense was because their defense was talking too much, so the Gang Green took it out on their boys to show them who was boss. Eric Allen said they were shouting over to the Oilers defense saying "You did this, you brought this on your guys!" and Seth Joyner yelled to the Oilers bench "Y'all are getting you people killed out here!" 

If you look at the Giants game that year, they knocked out both Kemp AND McMahon. 

I remember they had to call a used car salesman in from his house to warm up as a QB. 

I am sure there was a competitive drive between LT and Reggie. 

Kemp went out on a stretcher. 

Buddy's mouth made a lot of teams hate our Offense and a lot of teams Defenses tried to get back at us for what we were doing to their boys. 

Maybe I am too biased, but Simeon Rice, Warren Sapp, John Lynch, and Derrick Brooks shutting down Jake Delhomme, Kerry Collins, Aaron Brooks, Or Ray Lewis and Co. shutting down Cordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox, Tim Couch and Akili Smith, John Kitna is not on par with Aikman, Montana, Marino, Kelley, Simms, Young, Moon, or even Rypien. 

17 hours ago, pdmkob said:

The way these QBs are protected today is crazy too. 

Randall took a lot of beatings partly due to a bad O line but also due to a Defense who literally held the philosophy of getting to know the back up QB. 

Some of the reason the infamous "House of Pain" game was so bad on the Oilers offense was because their defense was talking too much, so the Gang Green took it out on their boys to show them who was boss. Eric Allen said they were shouting over to the Oilers defense saying "You did this, you brought this on your guys!" and Seth Joyner yelled to the Oilers bench "Y'all are getting you people killed out here!" 

If you look at the Giants game that year, they knocked out both Kemp AND McMahon. 

I remember they had to call a used car salesman in from his house to warm up as a QB. 

I am sure there was a competitive drive between LT and Reggie. 

Kemp went out on a stretcher. 

Buddy's mouth made a lot of teams hate our Offense and a lot of teams Defenses tried to get back at us for what we were doing to their boys. 

Maybe I am too biased, but Simeon Rice, Warren Sapp, John Lynch, and Derrick Brooks shutting down Jake Delhomme, Kerry Collins, Aaron Brooks, Or Ray Lewis and Co. shutting down Cordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox, Tim Couch and Akili Smith, John Kitna is not on par with Aikman, Montana, Marino, Kelley, Simms, Young, Moon, or even Rypien. 

Rypien and Aikman were just products of their systems.  The rest I will give you :P

On 9/5/2018 at 7:08 AM, Happyfoosball said:

So the only team that qualifies as a juggernaut is the Pats despite the fact that the Eagles just beat the Pats bloody in the Super Bowl with their backup QB.  Riiight.

5 hours ago, KzEaglefan86 said:

So the only team that qualifies as a juggernaut is the Pats despite the fact that the Eagles just beat the Pats bloody in the Super Bowl with their backup QB.  Riiight.

You took my post out of context.  I was actually stating that by the previous posters definition, which was defining a juggernaut as a team that wins year in and year out that the Pats were the only team that qualifies.  I went on to make the point that no teams in the NFL are juggernauts and cited teams that I felt were juggernauts.  The Eagles are not a juggernaut. 

As i'm sure others have posted (didn't read the whole thread) it's about sustained success. We'll see how long this strong NFC lasts. For me, the strongest NFC I've ever seen was that stretch from the 1985 season through the 1996 season. The conference was loaded with top teams and the NFC East was the toughest division. Look at the Championship teams during that stretch.

85 Bears; 86 Giants; 87 Redskins; 88 Niners; 89 Niners; 90 Giants; 91 Redskins; 92 Cowboys; 93 Cowboys; 94 Niners, 95 Cowboys; 96 Packers. Pure domination by the NFC in that stretch of seasons. The Bills were the best in the AFC for much of that time but would've been maybe the 4th or 5th best team in the NFC. It's also why the Eagles couldn't get it done, despite their 1 hopeful year of 1991 until Randal went down.

21 minutes ago, Happyfoosball said:

You took my post out of context.  I was actually stating that by the previous posters definition, which was defining a juggernaut as a team that wins year in and year out that the Pats were the only team that qualifies.  I went on to make the point that no teams in the NFL are juggernauts and cited teams that I felt were juggernauts.  The Eagles are not a juggernaut. 

Only that's exactly not what I said.  I'm defining a juggernaut as a team who should win 12+ games THIS year.  If they do it year after year I said that makes them a perennial juggernaut.