Sign in to follow this  
dawkins4prez

Best NFC ever?

NFC has been the power conference for 3 years now but this year's version may be the most absurdly strong yet.  For starters let's make it clear the only thing keeping the NFC from blowing out 50-10 wins the last couple SB's has been Tom Brady.  Tom Brady is the only thing standing between today's AFC and the pathetic versions of 80's and 90's.  Meanwhile 2018 NFC is poised to be strongest EVER.  Philly, Minny, Atlanta, Nawlins and L.A. are all bona fide JUGGERNAUTS.  Carolina is a solid team, the Niners and Bears are young teams on the verge of breakouts.  I haven yet to mention Aaron friggin Rodgers and the Packers!  Lions, Panthers, Cowboys and Giants all believe they are playoff teams.  Heck even the Seahawks aren't buying into their demise.

It's LOADED at the top.  It's DEEP.  I don't remember the NFC this stacked ever before.

28 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

I think you're forgetting Texans, Colts, and Jags but I'd agree that NFC definitely is stronger than AFC

I don' think there is anybody in the current AFC better than the early 90's Buffalo Bills.  The conference is truly awful, Tom Brady single handedly masks how awful it is.  The mighty Jags were 1-3 v.s. NFC last year.

3 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

NFC has been the power conference for 3 years now but this year's version may be the most absurdly strong yet.  For starters let's make it clear the only thing keeping the NFC from blowing out 50-10 wins the last couple SB's has been Tom Brady.  Tom Brady is the only thing standing between today's AFC and the pathetic versions of 80's and 90's.  Meanwhile 2018 NFC is poised to be strongest EVER.  Philly, Minny, Atlanta, Nawlins and L.A. are all bona fide JUGGERNAUTS.  Carolina is a solid team, the Niners and Bears are young teams on the verge of breakouts.  I haven yet to mention Aaron friggin Rodgers and the Packers!  Lions, Panthers, Cowboys and Giants all believe they are playoff teams.  Heck even the Seahawks aren't buying into their demise.

It's LOADED at the top.  It's DEEP.  I don't remember the NFC this stacked ever before.

Philly, Minn, Atl, NO and LA are juggernauts? Nope, sorry. The 90s Cowboys were a juggernaut, those old 49er and Giants teams were juggernauts. The Pats are a juggernaut. None of those teams you mentioned have had sustained success. If the Rams or Falcons flop this year, would you be surprised? I wouldn’t be. Same goes for the other top NFC teams. 

41 minutes ago, BDAWK_4EVER said:

I wouldn't be so quick to boost the colts up like that after 3 preseason games of luck 

If you're not going to be worried about us because of preseason why worry about Luck?

Best ever? I don't know. Thinking back to the 80's and 90's the NFC was pretty dominant winning the Super Bowl in 81 and 82 then 84 through 96.

The 49ers, Redskins, Cowboys and Giants were strong contenders for much of that time and the Eagles were for chunks of it also, though unfortunately, just not quite 'there' enough to be in the upper tier. Take the NFC East, for example. From 1980 to 1995, the NFC East was in Super Bowls XV, XVII, XVIII, XXI, XXII, XXV, XXVI, XXVII, XXVIII and XXX and won all but two of them.

So not only was the NFC a dominant conference, the NFC East was the dominant division, and I believe that if the Eagles had had a better owner, the Eagles may well have been represented more than just once in all those Super Bowls.

14 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

If you're not going to be worried about us because of preseason why worry about Luck?

Because no one on our team has been out of football for almost 2 years

59 minutes ago, BDAWK_4EVER said:

I wouldn't be so quick to boost the colts up like that after 3 preseason games of luck 

They still have no line or running game either or defense. 

27 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

As was already pointed out, Luck hasn't played in almost 2 years. That's a big deal.

Of the teams you mention I can see LA and Minny faltering but in general I agree.  We are witnessing a new era in powerhouse NFC teams. Rodgers and Wentz alone are scary. Great point about Brady being the lone difference maker although Pittsburgh and Ben shouldn't be left out of that convo.

2 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

Philly, Minn, Atl, NO and LA are juggernauts? Nope, sorry. The 90s Cowboys were a juggernaut, those old 49er and Giants teams were juggernauts. The Pats are a juggernaut. None of those teams you mentioned have had sustained success. If the Rams or Falcons flop this year, would you be surprised? I wouldn’t be. Same goes for the other top NFC teams. 

Took the words right out of my mouth.

You could make a good case for 1991:

• The Joe Montana 49ers went 10-6 and missed the playoffs.
  • The Eagles had one of the 5 best D's of all time and misssed the playoffs at 10-6.
  • The Jets made the playoffs at 8-8 in the AFC.
  • The NFC was a +14 vs the AFC and the Redskins beat the Bills (yet again the Bills lost)

I like the Eagles top to bottom (you will see the worst of them on Thursday without Jeffrey and Bradham, but they will still win anyway)

The Rams are incredibly overrated.

• Marcus Peters is a sideways move from Trumaine Johnson 
    • He may be slightly more talented but he gets burnt taking risks and is a huge headcase
    • AR was thrilled to get rid of him
  • Talib is a scumbag who had already lost a step last year
  • Suh is a scumbag loser
    • He has been part of a bad defense in 7 of 8 seasons
    • If you need someone to kick a QB in the face, he is your guy
  • Cooks is more consistent than Watkins but is not as much of a deep threat.
  • They lost a good linebacker in Ogletree
  • They upgraded at DT, downgraded at LB and stayed about the same in the secondary
  • We are talking about a D that was ranked 12 in points and 19 in yards (not exactly the '85 Bears)
  • In summary, they are a Dream Team and all that entails.

The Vikings line is a huge question mark

• Their D is going to be very good though

The Saints had 3 huge games in a row to end their season and they were unimpressive in all 3.

• Choke job at Tampa with the division on the line
  • Underwhelming home playoff game where they made awful passer Cam look like Brady.
  • They got handled by Minnesota until Keenum let them back in the game

3 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

Yeah but these teams are young and talented. For years we’ve been watching veteran teams dominate. Older teams can not sustain long runs. Even NE has restocked around Brady multiple times. But these are all relatively young teams. I could see PHI, MINN and LAR sustaining their talent for a few years. NO is a wildcard with so much riding on Brees, but overall they may be drafting the best.

3 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Best ever? I don't know. Thinking back to the 80's and 90's the NFC was pretty dominant winning the Super Bowl in 81 and 82 then 84 through 96.

The 49ers, Redskins, Cowboys and Giants were strong contenders for much of that time and the Eagles were for chunks of it also, though unfortunately, just not quite 'there' enough to be in the upper tier. Take the NFC East, for example. From 1980 to 1995, the NFC East was in Super Bowls XV, XVII, XVIII, XXI, XXII, XXV, XXVI, XXVII, XXVIII and XXX and won all but two of them.

So not only was the NFC a dominant conference, the NFC East was the dominant division, and I believe that if the Eagles had had a better owner, the Eagles may well have been represented more than just once in all those Super Bowls.

That's the thing, back then the NFC had 3-4 powerhouses and another 2-3 solid Wild Card teams.  I think this group is deeper.

1 hour ago, skippyx said:

• The Eagles had one of the 5 best D's of all time and misssed the playoffs at 10-6.
  • The NFC was a +14 vs the AFC and the Redskins beat the Bills (yet again the Bills lost)

I like the Eagles top to bottom (you will see the worst of them on Thursday without Jeffrey and Bradham, but they will still win anyway)

• He may be slightly more talented but he gets burnt taking risks and is a huge headcase
  • Suh is a scumbag loser
  • They upgraded at DT, downgraded at LB and stayed about the same in the secondary
  • We are talking about a D that was ranked 12 in points and 19 in yards (not exactly the '85 Bears)

The Saints had 3 huge games in a row to end their season and they were unimpressive in all 3.

• Underwhelming home playoff game where they made awful passer Cam look like Brady.

I believe last year was the Rams first year in a 3-4 so not to bad considering the change over and Wade Phillips does know how to put some good defenses together.

However, I'm not overly impressed with what they put together. They don't have good edge rushers Suh I don't think ever played in a. 3-4. And like you said Talib is most likely done and Marcus Peters gets burnt alot. 

5 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

Flop as in how? Not winning SB?

Cause I think both Rams and Falcons will prob win 10 games a piece I figure with no Wentz Eagles are looking at 10 games and the top dogs being Saints and Packers

1 hour ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Flop as in how? Not winning SB?

Cause I think both Rams and Falcons will prob win 10 games a piece I figure with no Wentz Eagles are looking at 10 games and the top dogs being Saints and Packers

If someone is calling them a juggernaut I would think anything short of a division title and trip to the NFCCG year in and year out would be a disappointment. Think Eagles early 2000s. 

4 hours ago, skippyx said:

• Suh is a scumbag loser

Image result for actually meme

....Montana missed the 1991 season...

All their losses were by 7 points or less though...crazy, crazy, stuff

Yeah, I should have remembered the Leonard Marshall hit in the 1990 NFCCG, so yes they had their other HoF QB instead.

Yeah uh the Eagles aren't a juggernaut.  I don't think any team in the NFC is.  I did hear the Packers look good on paper.  Let's let these teams play some games before we "proclaim" this the best anything?

Oh, ok, let's define juggernaut first.  Juggernaut is a team that should win 12+ games.  If you are doing it year in year out, you are a perennial juggernaut.

On 9/3/2018 at 10:24 AM, nipples said:

As was already pointed out, Luck hasn't played in almost 2 years. That's a big deal.

So being NFC guy ( eagles fan and all) I always seem to be very NFC Heavy on my fantasy teams.  This year I didn’t feel goood about my draft. Looking over my roster I noticed it was ALL AFC players.  Just ended up that way.  Everyone round I got a player I was eyeing Snatched right before me

Hopkins from Texans

Mathews from chargers

luck from colts 

ty hilton colts

mixon 

jags d

ughh. Go colts!

On 9/3/2018 at 1:02 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I believe there was a year in that time period where both the Giants and the 49ers won 14 games in the same season. 

In the ten years between 86-95 the only team to win a Superbowl that wasn't in the NFCE was the 49ers. 

Realistically it should have continued with the NFC onto another Packers dynasty with Favre and Reggie but they just got complacent 

Its kind of that experience that makes me think Doug will be on these guys after this Superbowl. The Packers GM was later quoted as knowing they would lose the minute they started casually strolling down the tunnel before the game. 

Even more fuel to Doug's fire is the repeated quotes from Shanny to his players who beat Doug's Pack, that if you want to be really special, you got to do it twice, in which they did. 

15 minutes ago, pdmkob said:

I believe there was a year in that time period where both the Giants and the 49ers won 14 games in the same season. 

In the ten years between 86-95 the only team to win a Superbowl that wasn't in the NFCE was the 49ers. 

Realistically it should have continued with the NFC onto another Packers dynasty with Favre and Reggie but they just got complacent 

Its kind of that experience that makes me think Doug will be on these guys after this Superbowl. The Packers GM was later quoted as knowing they would lose the minute they started casually strolling down the tunnel before the game. 

Even more fuel to Doug's fire is the repeated quotes from Shanny to his players who beat Doug's Pack, that if you want to be really special, you got to do it twice, in which they did. 

In 86 the Bears and Gaints both went 14-2, that may be the season you're thinking of.