VaBeach_Eagle

Your team can't win the next Super Bowl ...

There's the possibility that Andy could be coaching against at least one of his former assistants this post-season.

If Houston beats the Colts and the Ravens beat the Chargers,  then Andy's Chiefs would face the Harbaugh led Ravens. If he wins that game and then advances to the Super Bowl, and either the Eagles or Bears advance to the Super Bowl, he'll be facing Doug, or Nagy in Atlanta.

How much of a nightmare would it be for Andy to lose to any of the three? Especially if it's in the Super Bowl.

Preferences by conference:

1. Rams

2. Eagles

3. Seahawks

4. Bears

5. Saints -- I hate when dome teams with HFA charge into the SB, which is usually also in a dome. Feels so cheap.

(Hmm, is there an NFC team I forgot?)

AFC:

1. Chiefs--For Andy.

2. Patriots-Presumably Brady will retire if they win, so that could save us three years or so of "Is it finally over/ will he or won't he retire?" off-season crap.

3. Chargers--I would probably have them #1 if it weren't for their abomination of a relocation. 

4. Texans-I don't really care about them any more than the Colts or Ravens, but there's only been five different AFC franchises in the Super Bowl since 2000, and the remaining two teams are two of them. Let's get some fresh blood in there. 

5. Colts/Ravens--These are two franchises I just plain don't really care about and both have won Super Bowls in the last decade (roughly)

7 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I find that I'd rather see the Colts win against the Chiefs.

I would as well. I don’t hate Reid like some do, but I can’t find myself pulling for him either. Unless of course it helps us in some way. 

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:21 PM, bwestbrook36 said:

I'll go with Cardinals because I think Fitzgerald deserves a ring. Not many like him anymore

Nah.  If he wanted a ring he should have got the **** out of Arizona.  

13 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I would as well. I don’t hate Reid like some do, but I can’t find myself pulling for him either. Unless of course it helps us in some way. 

Why?  Big Red gave us a lot of good years.   I can understand why it was painful to see Vermeil win a Super Bowl before the Eagles did.  But now that the Eagles got one I don't see why it would bother anyone to see Reid win one.  Unless of course he was against the Eagles.  

And truthfully,  we probably owe Reid partially for the Super Bowl win.   He was the one who initially brought Nick Foles to Philly,  and Doug Pederson was his protege.  Its probably safe to say we would not have a ring now if it wasn't for Reid.    

2 minutes ago, Iron_Eagle_04 said:

Why?  Big Red gave us a lot of good years.   I can understand why it was painful to see Vermeil win a Super Bowl before the Eagles did.  But now that the Eagles got one I don't see why it would bother anyone to see Reid win one.  Unless of course he was against the Eagles.  

And truthfully,  we probably owe Reid partially for the Super Bowl win.   He was the one who initially brought Nick Foles to Philly,  and Doug Pederson was his protege.  Its probably safe to say we would not have a ring now if it wasn't for Reid.    

Like I said, I don't hate him, but I don't root for him either. 14 years of coming up short. Maybe I can in his 15th year in KC.

41 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Like I said, I don't hate him, but I don't root for him either. 14 years of coming up short. Maybe I can in his 15th year in KC.

Remember,  Andy faced a stronger Patriots team in the Super Bowl than Doug did.  

Of course,  that doesn't account for all the other years,  but which of those teams was really strong enough to win it all?   You might argue 2002,  2001,  and 2008.  That's about it.  

Then again Andy is also largely responsible for how talented those teams were,  but he had to deal with Joe Banner who wasn't always a model president.   Howie turned out to be much better,  but he was still learning at the time Andy was still here and didn't get to reap the benefits of Roseman's masterful maneuvering like Doug did. 

1 hour ago, Iron_Eagle_04 said:

Remember,  Andy faced a stronger Patriots team in the Super Bowl than Doug did.  

Of course,  that doesn't account for all the other years,  but which of those teams was really strong enough to win it all?   You might argue 2002,  2001,  and 2008.  That's about it.  

Then again Andy is also largely responsible for how talented those teams were,  but he had to deal with Joe Banner who wasn't always a model president.   Howie turned out to be much better,  but he was still learning at the time Andy was still here and didn't get to reap the benefits of Roseman's masterful maneuvering like Doug did. 

So only 3 years they were strong enough to win it all and didn't... 

2 hours ago, Iron_Eagle_04 said:

That didn't bother me in the least. I loved Vermeil. As someone who grew up watching the team under Kuharich, Williams, Khayat, and McCormack, I knew what it was like to watch a terrible team coached by a terrible coach. Vermeil was a God-send. For the first time in my life, the team wasn't a laughingstock, and for a few years, they were even contenders. Legitimate contenders. Yes, the Vermeil era was glorious. I was in college at the time, and it just felt good to be good for once. Finally. Sure, I was heartbroken when he retired, and I was disappointed fifteen years later when he agreed to coach another team. But I would never wish him anything other than success. So I was happy when he won that year with the Rams. We sucked at the time anyway, so it's not like we were competitors.

38 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

That didn't bother me in the least. I loved Vermeil. As someone who grew up watching the team under Kuharich, Williams, Khayat, and McCormack, I knew what it was like to watch a terrible team coached by a terrible coach. Vermeil was a God-send. For the first time in my life, the team wasn't a laughingstock, and for a few years, they were even contenders. Legitimate contenders. Yes, the Vermeil era was glorious. I was in college at the time, and it just felt good to be good for once. Finally. Sure, I was heartbroken when he retired, and I was disappointed fifteen years later when he agreed to coach another team. But I would never wish him anything other than success. So I was happy when he won that year with the Rams. We sucked at the time anyway, so it's not like we were competitors.

I loved him too,  but lets face it,  he flaked out on the Eagles in 1982 in a way that Reid never did.  And Reid with the death of and all the trouble with his sons had a lot more excuse to.  I think Vermeil was better loved because he fit that passionate Philly personality better,  but Reid was more stable and had more success and longevity here.  The fact that the Eagles sucked at the time  only made it worse for me,  that was the year the whole Ray Rhodes era was cemented as a failure when it started with so much promise.  

A part of me was happy for him,  but a part of me was really bitter too.   

I guess everybody looks at things differently though.   Not saying I hate Vermeil,  but I definitely have mixed feelings towards him.  Reid gave us a lot more good years.   Even though it was Doug who finally finished the job for us,  you could argue Andy Reid layed the groundwork for it by having the Eagles a winning franchise for years. (even though the Chip Kelly disaster was a big explosion in the middle that almost destroyed the franchise for years.)  Whereas after Vermeil the Eagles were in mediocrity limbo for years.    You could almost argue for the whole time between Vermeil and Reid was a huge waste.   Marion Campbell and Rich Kotite were complete buffoons.   Buddy Ryan was colorful and put together a nasty defense,  but lets face it his era was mostly fool's gold.  Ray Rhodes was a massive disappointment in the end,  he was basically a poor man's Buddy Ryan at best,  just another firebrand who had no clue how to put together or run an offense and no foresight to bring anyone in who did.  But he at least put together a nice defensive core for Reid to work with in his early years.

But be honest,  from 1983-2000 were there any seasons where you truly had much hope for a championship?   I think there was a year or two here and there where you might could have considered the Eagles long shots at best.   Maybe 1991 if Cunningham hadn't went down was probably the best shot during that whole time.   The Eagles looked stout for awhile in 1994 when they started 7-2 and punked the eventual champion Niners,  but that was fool's gold too in the end.   Ironically those were both Kotite teams,  but mostly with Buddy Ryan defensive players.      

Its still a miracle to me though that the Eagles recovered to win a Super Bowl two years removed from the dumpster fire Chip Kelly created.   Who would ever thought that?

My philosophy is pretty simple: I root for the Eagles or the AFC in a Super Bowl. There have only been three times when I rooted for an NFC team Not named the Eagles in the Super Bowl:

Super Bowl XVIII: I rooted for the Washington Redskins because I hated the Raiders for beating the Eagles in SB XV

Super Bowl XX: I rooted for the Chicago Bears because they were just so much fun to watch. Who didn't love William "the Fridge" Perry? 

Super Bowl XLVIII: I rooted for the Seattle Seahawks because I live in the Bay Area and I hate the 49ers more than I hate the Cowboys. I did NOT root for the Seahawks to win XLIX

Well, now that the Eagles won't have to face him, I'll be happy for him if Andy gets it done this season. I'd much rather he do it than any of the other teams still playing.

This thread had been specifically for LIII, but I changed it to cover 'the next' Super Bowl.

So, if your team can't win it in February, who would you want to see win the next Super Bowl?

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

This thread had been specifically for LIII, but I changed it to cover 'the next' Super Bowl.

So, if your team can't win it in February, who would you want to see win the next Super Bowl?

The new steelers without the head cases would my team this year if the eagles were out of it for whatever reason. 

On 7/11/2019 at 7:52 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The Browns, just for the LOL:P

5 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

The Browns, just for the LOL:P

Giants fans would LOVE that, wouldn't they?

The Dallas Cowboys on a last second Hail Mary......

..... Only for the TD to be overturned because Amari Cooper didn't survive the ground to give the Chargers their first ring. 

1 hour ago, paco said:

The Dallas Cowboys on a last second Hail Mary......

..... Only for the TD to be overturned because Amari Cooper didn't survive the ground to give the Chargers their first ring. 

The idea of Dallas even being in the game is enough to make one sick.

20 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Giants fans would LOVE that, wouldn't they?

The Jets would be funny too, for about the same reasons.

56 minutes ago, boogyman said:

The Jets would be funny too, for about the same reasons.

Of course, it doesn't fit this thread, but if we really want Giants fans pissed off, it would be the Eagles beating the Patriots again.

On 1/12/2019 at 10:03 PM, Iron_Eagle_04 said:

Nah.  If he wanted a ring he should have got the **** out of Arizona.  

Like Anquan Boldin did 

On 7/13/2019 at 9:58 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

The idea of Dallas even being in the game is enough to make one sick.

Their fans are unbearable enough with a 3-5 playoff record and NFL record 7 straight divisional round losses since ‘96 :wacko:

33 minutes ago, pisceschica said:

Their fans are unbearable enough with a 3-5 playoff record and NFL record 7 straight divisional round losses since ‘96 :wacko:

And those 3 were 3 too many.