Don Corleone

REPORT: FA WR Corey Coleman released by Patriots

I don't like Coleman as THE move at outside WR but is he an upgrade over what we have? Maybe

1 minute ago, judunno said:

Why does this guy keep getting dropped? Can't pick up offenses? Bad attitude? What gives?

He's more of a flavor of the week than flavor of the year it seems

8 minutes ago, judunno said:

Why does this guy keep getting dropped? Can't pick up offenses? Bad attitude? What gives?

He's probably just not that good. Some first round WRs bust. He looks like he's in that category.

20 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

I don't like Coleman as THE move at outside WR but is he an upgrade over what we have? Maybe

THE move will have to wait until the offseason, unless Howie pulls some magic. Coleman is better than what we have (because we don’t actually have an outside WR at all at this point).  And he has upside, no matter how unlikely, to be the definitive move.

10 minutes ago, judunno said:

I wouldn’t hold the Patriots release against him.  But the other 2?  Yeah, that’s a red flag.

10 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

THE move will have to wait until the offseason, unless Howie pulls some magic. Coleman is better than what we have (because we don’t actually have an outside WR at all at this point).  And he has upside, no matter how unlikely, to be the definitive move.

I wouldn’t hold the Patriots release against him.  But the other 2?  Yeah, that’s a red flag.

I think the general thought that he had 1st rd entitlement syndrome is accurate. Didn't help being in Cleveland of course.  And some guys do need some time to get acclimated to a new offense.

Overall I wouldn't bet on him but the guys we have that you might cut you wouldn't miss much anyway. As I said as a sole replacement to Wallace I don't think it's enough

26 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I mean the browns are the browns and vontae davis just retired on the Bill's at half time so idk if we can hold those releases against him either. Those franchises are dysfunctional. I wouldnt mind signing him. He's an explosive player and with a far more accurate  qb throwing to him, he might make some plays.

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Rather have Marvin Jones. Younger, same price and under contract for the next 2 years 

Golladay!

1 hour ago, CaliEagle said:

He's probably just not that good. Some first round WRs bust. He looks like he's in that category.

Maybe, but to be fair Agholor looked like he was in that category for his first 2 seasons. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Maybe, but to be fair Agholor looked like he was in that category for his first 2 seasons. 

The Pats are a pretty good judge of talent.  If they don't feel Brady can make him better after Brady's success with lesser name WRs, then that says something.

1 minute ago, CaliEagle said:

The Pats are a pretty good judge of talent.  If they don't feel Brady can make him better after Brady's success with lesser name WRs, then that says something.

There is a fine line between desperate and crowded at a position.  Sounds crazy, I know...but in the Pats search at WR, someone had to go.  Gordon was an unexpected windfall and they cut the newest guy.

Coleman may be hideous, but I don’t think the Pats soured on him in 1 week.  

6 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Ya you and i wish. He’s young and super cheap. They aren’t trading that guy 

Only one I could see traded is Golden Tate since he's on last year of his deal but probably not this early in season

6 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Pats haven't actually judged talent all that well in recent years. Brady & Bellichik's D smarts have carried the load often. They are both that good

2 hours ago, eagle45 said:

I wouldn't really call it a red flag considering they haven't developed crap in how many decades?? 

44 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Well there's a lot to be said here about "the Patriot Way" 1st round entitlement (Coleman) versus an undrafted LaCross player (Hogan).  It's all about desire..

It isn't that Brady couldn't turn Coleman into a 45 catch 700 yard 8TD guy.  It's that BB doesn't want to deal with that ego after that happens...

37 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Only one I could see traded is Golden Tate since he's on last year of his deal but probably not this early in season

Tate had some major locker room issues in Seattle that aren't that widely known.

3 minutes ago, weko said:

Tate had some major locker room issues in Seattle that aren't that widely known.

If so I imagine Michael Bennett was a teammate at the time.  They'll talk to him and get the scoop.  

1 hour ago, CaliEagle said:

Coleman's only being released because they got Josh Gordon.  It doesn't seem like they had any plans to release him before.  

3 hours ago, judunno said:

Well the Browns are a poorly run terrible team with no QB when he was there, Bills are a poorly run terrible team with no QB. Patriots cut him to make room for Josh Gordon. Still doesn't look good though being traded one and cut twice in 1 1/2 months by three teams very thin at WR. 

I will say Belichick saw enough in him to sign him. He was still learning the playbook and inactive on Sunday. Had they not traded for Gordon there is a good chance he played this Sunday. 

42 minutes ago, Baynit said:

Well there's a lot to be said here about "the Patriot Way" 1st round entitlement (Coleman) versus an undrafted LaCross player (Hogan).  It's all about desire..

It isn't that Brady couldn't turn Coleman into a 45 catch 700 yard 8TD guy.  It's that BB doesn't want to deal with that ego after that happens...

Coleman was only released because they needed to clear a roster spot for Gordon. Had that trade not happened, Coleman would likely have played Sunday. You can't say Coleman was cut because Belichick doesn't like dealing with guys like that especially when he traded for Gordon who has missed 54 games since 2013 due to drinking, drugs, showing up late to meetings. He is the ultimate anti-Belichick player  Gordon is all about himself. Has been given more chances than any other player I can think of and continues to blow them. Now his reward for all those problems is being traded to play with Brady? 

44 minutes ago, weko said:

What did he do? Curious.