Sign in to follow this  
Don Corleone

102 MODERN-ERA NOMINEES FOR THE HALL OF FAME'S CLASS OF 2019

The Modern-Era nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2019 is comprised of 102 players and coaches. Among the group announced are four first-year eligible players including tight end Tony Gonzalez, linebacker London Fletcher, cornerback Champ Bailey and safety Ed Reed.

The roster of nominees consists of 47 offensive players, 39 defensive players, five special teams players and 11 coaches. The Modern-Era nominees will be reduced to 25 semifinalists in November and, from there, to 15 finalists in January.

MODERN-ERA NOMINEES FOR THE
PRO FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME CLASS OF 2019

*Finalist in 2018; Underline indicates first year of eligibility (Players and coaches must have last played or coached at least five full seasons to be eligible for nomination. Therefore, any individual who last played or coached in 2013 are eligible for the first time in 2019).

QUARTERBACKS

(5) – Randall Cunningham, Dave Krieg, Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair

RUNNING BACKS

(14) — Shaun Alexander, Tiki Barber, Earnest Byner, Larry Centers, Corey Dillon, Eddie George, *Edgerrin James, Darryl Johnston, Eric Metcalf (WR/KR/PR), Clinton Portis, Fred Taylor, Herschel Walker (also KR), Chris Warren, Ricky Watters

WIDE RECEIVERS

(9) — *Isaac Bruce, Gary Clark, Henry Ellard (also PR), Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Derrick Mason, Sterling Sharpe, Rod Smith, Hines Ward

TIGHT ENDS

(4) — Mark Bavaro, Tony Gonzalez, Brent Jones, Jay Novacek

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

(15) — Willie Anderson (T), *Tony Boselli (T), Lomas Brown (T), Ray Donaldson (C), *Alan Faneca (G), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), *Steve Hutchinson (G), Mike Kenn (T), Olin Kreutz (C), *Kevin Mawae (C/G), Tom Nalen (C), Chris Samuels (T), Richmond Webb (T), Steve Wisniewski (G)

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN

(7) — La’Roi Glover (DT/NT), Russell Maryland (DT), Leslie O’Neal (DE), Simeon Rice (DE), Richard Seymour (DT), Neil Smith (DE), Bryant Young (DT)

LINEBACKERS

(14) — Carl Banks, Cornelius Bennett, Tedy Bruschi, London Fletcher, Seth Joyner, Wilber Marshall, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest (also DE), Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Chris Spielman, Takeo Spikes, Darryl Talley, Zach Thomas

DEFENSIVE BACKS

(18) — Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Champ Bailey (CB), Ronde Barber (CB/S), Bill Bates (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Nick Collins (S), Thomas Everett (S), Rodney Harrison (S), *Ty Law (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), *John Lynch (S), Tim McDonald (S), Ed Reed (FS), Dennis Smith (S), Troy Vincent (CB), Adrian Wilson (S), Darren Woodson (S)

PUNTERS/KICKER

(3) — Jason Elam (K), Jeff Feagles (P), Sean Landeta (P)

SPECIAL TEAMS

(2) — Brian Mitchell (KR/PR also RB), Steve Tasker (ST also WR)

COACHES

(11) — Don Coryell, Bill Cowher, Tom Flores, Jim Hanifan, Mike Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson, Richie Petitbon, Dan Reeves, Marty Schottenheimer, Clark Shaughnessy, D Vermeil

Eighteen finalists will be presented to the full 48-member Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee during its annual meeting on "Selection Saturday,” the day before Super Bowl LIII. The finalists will consist of 15 Modern-Era finalists, the recently named Senior Finalist, Johnny Robinson, and the Contributor Finalists, Pat Bowlen and Gil Brandt.

The Selection Committee will meet on Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019 in Atlanta, Ga. to elect the Class of 2019. While there is no set number for any class of enshrinees, the selection process by-laws provide that between four and eight new members will be selected. 

The Senior Finalist and Contributor Finalists are voted "yes” or "no” for election at the annual selection meeting and must receive at least 80 percent support from the Committee to be elected. The Modern-Era Finalists will be trimmed during the meeting from 15 to 10 and then from 10 to 5. The remaining five finalists will be voted on individually, "yes” or "no” and must receive the same 80 percent positive vote as the Senior and Contributors Finalists to earn election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The Class of 2019 will be announced during the "NFL Honors” nationally broadcast award show that evening.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2019 will be formally enshrined on Saturday, Aug. 3, 2019 in Canton. The enshrinement is one of three marquee events, along with the Hall of Fame Game and the Concert for Legends, that are held in the spectacular Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium during Enshrinement Week Powered by Johnson Controls.

http://www.profootballhof.com/102-modern-era-nominees-for-the-hall-of-fames-class-of-2019/

Of that list, here's who I think should get in. I have 8 listed and the max per year is 7, so I'm obviously not saying that all 8 of them should go in this year. Just that people from my list, are worthy of at least being finalists. If 7 of my 8 actually made it in, Randall would be #8 on the list. If Urlacher is a Hall of Fame LB, then Seth most definitely should be in. Eric Allen too, should be in.

In the Senior category, I'd have Harold Carmichael taking one of the two slots.

QUARTERBACKS

Randall Cunningham (Because I'm biased but also because I think he helped change the QB position)

TIGHT ENDS

Tony Gonzalez

LINEBACKERS

Seth Joyner

DEFENSIVE BACKS

Eric Allen, Ed Reed

SPECIAL TEAMS

Brian Mitchell

COACHES

Don Coryell,  D Vermeil

30 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Of that list, here's who I think should get in. I have 8 listed and the max per year is 7, so I'm obviously not saying that all 8 of them should go in this year. Just that people from my list, are worthy of at least being finalists. If 7 of my 8 actually made it in, Randall would be #8 on the list. If Urlacher is a Hall of Fame LB, then Seth most definitely should be in. Eric Allen too, should be in.

In the Senior category, I'd have Harold Carmichael taking one of the two slots.

QUARTERBACKS

Randall Cunningham (Because I'm biased but also because I think he helped change the QB position)

TIGHT ENDS

Tony Gonzalez

LINEBACKERS

Seth Joyner

DEFENSIVE BACKS

Eric Allen, Ed Reed

SPECIAL TEAMS

Brian Mitchell

COACHES

Don Coryell,  D Vermeil

I think Gonzalez and Reed are locks. I could be wrong about reed though. 

12 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I think Gonzalez and Reed are locks. I could be wrong about reed though. 

I think so too, at least Gonzalez, anyway. I'm not sure they'll put a safety in, in back to back seasons though. But he's deserving.

Tough class to pick from.

Tony Gonzalez seems to be the easiest choice

From there I'd probably go Randall Cunningham, Sam Mills. Seth Joyner, Champ Bailey and Don Coryell.

32 minutes ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Man, the nominees at QB are dicey. I think Randall may get the nod.

I definitely want him to, but I won't be surprised if none of them get in.

Just now, vincent_NJG said:

From there I'd probably go Randall Cunningham, Sam Mills. Seth Joyner, Champ Bailey and Don Coryell.

What about Philadelphia Eagles TE, Mark Bavaro?

14 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

He voided his chance by playing for the Eagles. Shame....

I honestly think he falls into the Hall of really good-great and just short of the HOF. 

26 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

He voided his chance by playing for the Eagles. Shame....

I honestly think he falls into the Hall of really good-great and just short of the HOF. 

I thought it was great when he said that he wished that he'd never played for the Giants, and instead had played his entire career in Philadelphia.

55 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I thought it was great when he said that he wished that he'd never played for the Giants, and instead had played his entire career in Philadelphia.

I can't say that I recall that. However I do recall his simple quote of "I didn't like 'em" when discussing the Eagles and how he was ready to kill Buddy Ryan due to the cheap shots he was getting from Eagles defenders.

Just now, vincent_NJG said:

I can't say that I recall that. However I do recall his simple quote of "I didn't like 'em" when discussing the Eagles and how he was ready to kill Buddy Ryan due to the cheap shots he was getting from Eagles defenders.

No, he said it. You can trust me...

There are a ton of great linemen on that list too, one of Boselli/Mawae has to get in this year. Zach Thomas deserves to be in as well if Urlacher got in.

41 minutes ago, BDAWK_4EVER said:

There are a ton of great linemen on that list too, one of Boselli/Mawae has to get in this year. Zach Thomas deserves to be in as well if Urlacher got in.

Hall of Fame voters love the splash plays and the post season success. Urlacher has 5 more interceptions and 20 more sacks and was in a super bowl. So Thomas is definitely close but, he may fall short

Weak class overall for skill position players.  I think this class is going to be very defensive and coaching heavy.  

Tony Gonzalez

• His numbers are staggering as a TE

Wilber Marshall

• He was a key member of 2 of the 25 best teams in NFL history.
  • He had 3 absolutely beastly years ('86, '91, '92)
  • He put up Dawkins level career numbers 23 picks / 24 forced fumbles / 45 sacks
  • He proved that he was not just a product of the 46 D Bears by being a great player in DC as well

Hines Ward

• 1000 catches
  • 12000 yards
  • 85 TDs
  • SB MVP
  • 2 Rings
  • He was also an incredibly tough blocker who put fear in the hearts of fake tough guys on the Ravens D

Randall Cunningham

• He was a superior QB to Jim Kelly (first ballot)
  • He was MVP level in 1990 and 1998 (I don't care if TD gets the award for 2K yards and good ol' boys give it to Montana in 1990)
    • Cunningham 30 TDs to 13 picks 3466 yards 91.6 rating + 942 yards rushing 5 TDs at 8.0 yards per carry (but mobile, black, and Philadelphia)
    • Montana 26 TDs 16 picks 3944 yards 89 rating + 162 yards rushing and a TD (but coming off being a Super Bowl MVP, very white, and not from Philly)
      • One of those guys had Rice and Taylor while the other had Barnett and Williams
      • Cunningham had better passing numbers than Montana let alone 942 yards rushing at 8 a pop
  • He was a trailblazer in 2 ways (running/passing QB and Black QB)
    • Warren Moon was NOT a star NFL QB until after Cunnigham was.
    • Both guys should have been picked in the top 5 of their drafts. Guys who look like them now do get drafted high.
  • He faced unbelievable competition
    • The SB winner came out of the NFC East in 7 of his 11 seasons as an Eagle ('86, '87, '90, '91, '92, '93, and '95)
    • The other 4 years were also the NFC (SF x3 and Chicago)
      • Kelly, Esiason, Marino, Moon, and Elway pretty much played on the minor league football circuit during those 11 years.
  • He had offensive morons running his teams in Philly (Buddy(go make 5 plays), Kotite, Rhodes)
    • Imagine if someone like Walsh or Turner or Levy got a hold of him.
  • He lost 27 games of his absolute prime due to leg injuries that happened in the pocket (and 4 more due to a strike)
  • He missed out on the Super Bowl because Moss dropped a TD in his hands and Anderson missed a chip shot.
  • He threw for 400+ yards against the 46 D Bears in the fog!
  • He was a human highlight reel in the age of ESPN highlights and the dawn of Fantasy Football
  • He gets unfairly compared to an above average QB on a great team (McNabb)
    • Cunningham had an Ultimate Weapon season with rookies Barnett and Williams at WR
    • A passer from 85-01 played in a much different league than one who played 1999-2011
    • You can't just compare numbers 1 to 1 across Eras
  • He is NOT Joe Montana, but Montana is not the bar for HoF QBs, Namath, Stabler, Moon, Kelly, and Fouts are the bar.
  • He was the '80s/'90s version of a taller faster Russell Wilson
  • DESPITE all of the things he had to overcome, he still put up Hall of Fame numbers and impact.

Ty Law

• He has as many career picks as Deion Sanders and he won 3 Super Bowls and played in another.
  • He had a pick 6 in one of the biggest upsets in NFL history (2001 Patriots over Rams)

Alan Faneca

• He was the best guard in the NFL over about an 8 year period
  • He was first team all 2000s according to the NFL
  • He won a Super Bowl in 2005

None of the D-Lineman on the list are as good as Clyde Simmons. (Rice is close though)

I'd put in 60 guys before Kevin Mawae, but he did play in New York.

Kent Hull had 4 very good years and was a JAG the rest of his career.

Tiki Barber was a lock for the Hall if he played 3 more years.

• He did not and his only shot was as an accumulator of yards, so no for him.

I am all for Sam Mills and Hershel Walker getting in the PRO FOOTBALL Hall of Fame if you add on their contributions to the USFL.

2 hours ago, BDAWK_4EVER said:

Zach Thomas deserves to be in as well if Urlacher got in.

Brian Urlacher

22 INTs 11 Forced Fumbles 41.5 Sacks 1040 Tackles

Zach Thomas

17 INTs 16 Forced Fumbles 20.5 Sacks 1100 Tackles

Seth Joyner

24 INTs 26 Forced Fumbles 52 Sacks 1056 Tackles 1 Super Bowl Ring

Seth needs to go in.

Joyner was a fantastic player as an Eagle and still elite for a few years in Arizona.

• I said Wilber Marshall had HoF level Dawkins splits and Joyner's are better than Marshall's

He chased the ring going to defending champ Green Bay and then defending champ Denver, but it still counts as a ring.

I think he is worthy of eventually getting in.

14 minutes ago, skippyx said:

Joyner was a fantastic player as an Eagle and still elite for a few years in Arizona.

• I said Wilber Marshall had HoF level Dawkins splits and Joyner's are better than Marshall's

He chased the ring going to defending champ Green Bay and then defending champ Denver, but it still counts as a ring.

I think he is worthy of eventually getting in.

He's more worthy than Urlacher, so 'eventually' should be 2019. Which would be perfect, because then he could celebrate getting in, with the Eagles second Super Bowl win.

8 hours ago, skippyx said:

Tony Gonzalez

• His numbers are staggering as a TE

Wilber Marshall

• He was a key member of 2 of the 25 best teams in NFL history.
  • He had 3 absolutely beastly years ('86, '91, '92)
  • He put up Dawkins level career numbers 23 picks / 24 forced fumbles / 45 sacks
  • He proved that he was not just a product of the 46 D Bears by being a great player in DC as well

Hines Ward

• 1000 catches
  • 12000 yards
  • 85 TDs
  • SB MVP
  • 2 Rings
  • He was also an incredibly tough blocker who put fear in the hearts of fake tough guys on the Ravens D

Randall Cunningham

• He was a superior QB to Jim Kelly (first ballot)
  • He was MVP level in 1990 and 1998 (I don't care if TD gets the award for 2K yards and good ol' boys give it to Montana in 1990)
    • Cunningham 30 TDs to 13 picks 3466 yards 91.6 rating + 942 yards rushing 5 TDs at 8.0 yards per carry (but mobile, black, and Philadelphia)
    • Montana 26 TDs 16 picks 3944 yards 89 rating + 162 yards rushing and a TD (but coming off being a Super Bowl MVP, very white, and not from Philly)
      • One of those guys had Rice and Taylor while the other had Barnett and Williams
      • Cunningham had better passing numbers than Montana let alone 942 yards rushing at 8 a pop
  • He was a trailblazer in 2 ways (running/passing QB and Black QB)
    • Warren Moon was NOT a star NFL QB until after Cunnigham was.
    • Both guys should have been picked in the top 5 of their drafts. Guys who look like them now do get drafted high.
  • He faced unbelievable competition
    • The SB winner came out of the NFC East in 7 of his 11 seasons as an Eagle ('86, '87, '90, '91, '92, '93, and '95)
    • The other 4 years were also the NFC (SF x3 and Chicago)
      • Kelly, Esiason, Marino, Moon, and Elway pretty much played on the minor league football circuit during those 11 years.
  • He had offensive morons running his teams in Philly (Buddy(go make 5 plays), Kotite, Rhodes)
    • Imagine if someone like Walsh or Turner or Levy got a hold of him.
  • He lost 27 games of his absolute prime due to leg injuries that happened in the pocket (and 4 more due to a strike)
  • He missed out on the Super Bowl because Moss dropped a TD in his hands and Anderson missed a chip shot.
  • He threw for 400+ yards against the 46 D Bears in the fog!
  • He was a human highlight reel in the age of ESPN highlights and the dawn of Fantasy Football
  • He gets unfairly compared to an above average QB on a great team (McNabb)
    • Cunningham had an Ultimate Weapon season with rookies Barnett and Williams at WR
    • A passer from 85-01 played in a much different league than one who played 1999-2011
    • You can't just compare numbers 1 to 1 across Eras
  • He is NOT Joe Montana, but Montana is not the bar for HoF QBs, Namath, Stabler, Moon, Kelly, and Fouts are the bar.
  • He was the '80s/'90s version of a taller faster Russell Wilson
  • DESPITE all of the things he had to overcome, he still put up Hall of Fame numbers and impact.

Ty Law

• He has as many career picks as Deion Sanders and he won 3 Super Bowls and played in another.
  • He had a pick 6 in one of the biggest upsets in NFL history (2001 Patriots over Rams)

Alan Faneca

• He was the best guard in the NFL over about an 8 year period
  • He was first team all 2000s according to the NFL
  • He won a Super Bowl in 2005

None of the D-Lineman on the list are as good as Clyde Simmons. (Rice is close though)

I'd put in 60 guys before Kevin Mawae, but he did play in New York.

Kent Hull had 4 very good years and was a JAG the rest of his career.

Tiki Barber was a lock for the Hall if he played 3 more years.

• He did not and his only shot was as an accumulator of yards, so no for him.

I am all for Sam Mills and Hershel Walker getting in the PRO FOOTBALL Hall of Fame if you add on their contributions to the USFL.

Randall was not a superior QB to Jim Kelly

Nobody says they have to select a QB out of the list. Peyton Manning will be the next QB inducted in 2021.

If Cunningham won a Super Bowl he would be HOF-bound. Sadly he did not, so he will not be inducted IMO. Same with McNabb. Even though Cunningham was the better athlete, McNabb was the better QB. There I said it.

16 hours ago, vincent_NJG said:

Dude, be a homer!  Gonzalez had better stats, but what did he ever do in the post season?  Bavaro won two rings for the Giants!

I'd pick Novacek over both of them though.  I can't tell you how many times time I saw Emmitt stopped on first down and Irvin shut down on second only to see Aikman find Novacek wide open to convert on 3rd and long - especially late in close games.  3 rings.  The Cowboys fell apart after he got hurt and haven't recovered.

My SWAG at the 25 semi-finalists

1. Shaun Alexander

2. Eddie George

3. Edgerrin James

4. Tiki Barber

5. Eric Metcalf

6. Tony Gonzalez

7. Isaac Bruce

8. Hines Ward

9. Tony Boselli

10. Steven Hutchinson

11. Alan Faneca

12. Kevin Mawae

13. Willie McGinest

14. Neil Smith

15. Richard Seymour

16. Seth Joyner

17. Sam Mills

18. Ed Reed

19. John Lynch

20. Rodney Harrison

21. Champ Bailey

22. Ty Law

23. Eric Allen

24. Mike Holmgren

25. Bill Cowher

**I'm admittedly biased toward guys with rings, and former Eagles 🙂

18 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

None of these QBs are getting in

33 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy said:

None of these QBs are getting in

Yeah, I really don't think so either. Still though, if they surprised us and Cunningham got in... or if they shocked us and McNabb got in, I think I'd have to plan a trip to Canton for next summer.