Sign in to follow this  
james1345

Jalen MIlls Playing Safety

Hey Dave,

He has looked terrible for the first two weeks of the season. Keep in mind, he was struggling with that double move last year as well. This guy is a liability in our secondary. Elite quarterbacks aren't afraid to throw the ball his way. No disrespect to Brian Westbrook or Ron Jaworski, but they can't be serious about how they feel about Jalen Mills. Do you think there's a chance that Mills is moved to safety?

Best,

James

21 hours ago, Erie said:

W

Not arguing about his play, but who takes his spot?

Definitely Sydney Jones. I would like to see more of Rasul Douglas as well.

Schwartz shouldn't put Mills on DJax without help.  On the long TD, Jenkins blew the double coverage. But, for some reason, Jim decided to put Mills alone on DJax on the critical 3rd down conversion late in the game. Safe to say that Mills will probably be on TY Hilton, so expect more of the same.  I think some of this falls on Schwartz.

On 9/17/2018 at 9:18 AM, CaliEagle said:

Schwartz shouldn't put Mills on DJax without help.  On the long TD, Jenkins blew the double coverage. But, for some reason, Jim decided to put Mills alone on DJax on the critical 3rd down conversion late in the game. Safe to say that Mills will probably be on TY Hilton, so expect more of the same.  I think some of this falls on Schwartz.

Doug Pederson talks about not being complacent. So I think Doug Pederson needs to take some ownership for not benching Mills.  

Sadly, it's not just the fact that Mills bites on EVERY double move! After he has lost contact with his man and the pass has been completed he either can't or doesn't make the tackle. He seems all consumed in trying to rip the ball away from the receiver, not securing the tackle, and being dragged an additional 8/10 yards before someone else makes the tackle. He was not any better last season. It appears that last season the D-Line was able to get more consistent pressure on QB's and caused errant throws, thus disguising Mills' poor cover technique. Now, with less QB pressure the QB's can see that Mills is in a different zip code than his receiver and bang, sure completion. After two games Mills has the league's highest completion rate allowed, the highest 1st down receptions allowed, and the most yardage yielded. None of these are stats a CB wants and never have I heard of a CB owning all three! As we get further into the meat of the schedule he is going to be a liability we can't afford. If he hasn't learned how to recognize a double move before this point in his career he never will. MAKE A MOVE! Now, with that being said, GO EAGLES!

If Maddox can man the slot adequately, then it should be considered. Mills has been susceptible to the double move consistently since he's been here, but he hasn't been a disaster either. Maybe he's reached his ceiling, I don't know, but he needs to improve in coverage without playing 10 yards off. I hope he can.

On the Desean play, there are a couple of things I know and saw.

First, the Eagles do not have a CB that can run stride for stride with Desean Jackson all the way down the field. Even at his present age he's faster than them all. That's just a fact.

Knowing that, a Safety has to be over the top to deter that deep throw. His job is to stay deeper than Desean but within range to arrive at the same time as the ball, and with violent intent. How many times (when he was here) did we see Desean read that and let up when a Safety was there teeing him up for a kill shot? A bunch. How many times have we seen him score when no Safety was there? A bunch.

Why then did Jenkins come off his over the top assignment and try to undercut the route leaving Desean free to run? I don't know, but THAT was the mistake that led to the score, not that Jackson outran Mills, who was in trail as the under part of that bracket coverage. IMO, Jenkins gave up that TD, not Mills.

Should Jones go outside in place of Mills with Maddox in the slot? Maybe. Time will tell. 

On 9/18/2018 at 9:48 AM, james1345 said:

Doug Pederson talks about not being complacent. So I think Doug Pederson needs to take some ownership for not benching Mills.  

The cushion Eagles DBs were giving the Buc's WRs was shocking, I am surprised Fitzpatrick only threw for 400 yards, there was easily another 100 + yards there for the taking on pass plays. 

Oh and LOL @ Jalen Mills, got his manhood taken in broad daylight :roll: