Sign in to follow this  
Procus

Eli Manning

6 hours ago, NE.Jon said:

They could of traded down and really started to work fixing the oline ... it will be a shame if a guy like Barkleys career gets wasted

I dont really remember the Giants maneuvering the draft much in recent years. Even in the later rounds they tend to just pick where their pick is. 

I could see another PSU in New York next year, McSorley...dude is a winner

last year of Eli

Yea this thread will be pretty quiet this week. Eli certainly did his part in the win.

Will be monitoring him week to week. But the writing is on the wall unless he goes on an absolute tear. 

32 minutes ago, Happyfoosball said:

Discuss what?  That he completed 86% of his passes this week for 297 and 2 TD's?

Come on...he’s cooked. But Barkley is an absolute stud. I’m glad we’ll have him in place for out next signal caller. 

I doubt anyone here thinks Eli is not capable of having a good game. But can he consistantly play good enough with the team he has around him to win enough games to make the playoffs?

2 hours ago, boogyman said:

I doubt anyone here thinks Eli is not capable of having a good game. But can he consistantly play good enough with the team he has around him to win enough games to make the playoffs?

The answer is possible but not probable.

While the oline definitely played better, Eli took some lumps from Watt and co but still managed to look almost poised. If the line can continue to improve, Eli can have a decent farewell season.

56 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

The answer is possible but not probable.

While the oline definitely played better, Eli took some lumps from Watt and co but still managed to look almost poised. If the line can continue to improve, Eli can have a decent farewell season.

Yeah I think the combo of Eli being immobile, him seemingly processing the play a bit slower and the bad O line is gonna make it a tough season. But I will never be surprised to see him put it all together for a game here and there.

3 hours ago, boogyman said:

I sincerely doubt it. He has always been up and down, and you never know what’s coming from one game to the next. He has largely played like ish for the last two years because he really doesn’t see the field for the most part. Yesterday was an obvious exception

Who knows, maybe he’ll shock the world. Impossible to say

For those saying NYG blew the pick on Barkley - 

The Giants havent had a decent RB threat since Barber. Let that sink in. 

AB/Jacobs/JAG - all decent but not anything you need to gameplan for.  What makes Barkley special (IMO) is he can line up outside like he did yesterday. 

Looked at another way - if they did take a QB with the pick - now you have a 37 yr old Vet and a Rookie QB with no running game and a porous Oline.  It would be open season all year long on whomever is behind Center.  Carr 2.0 - no thanks.

27 minutes ago, blakjak said:

AB/Jacobs/JAG - all decent but not anything you need to gameplan for.  What makes Barkley special (IMO) is he can line up outside like he did yesterday. 

Looked at another way - if they did take a QB with the pick - now you have a 37 yr old Vet and a Rookie QB with no running game and a porous Oline.  It would be open season all year long on whomever is behind Center.  Carr 2.0 - no thanks.

The "you can't take a running back top 5" is a too oft-repeated false narrative.

The notion is that "well you can find a running back anywhere!" With the exception of Kerryon Johnson in Detroit, the bulk of the running backs taken after Saquon have done nothing. Fellow first rounders Rashad Penny has been embarrassing, Nick Chubb barely touches the field, and Ronald Jones has been a healthy scratch.

Since Bradshaw's feet started breaking down, the Giants have searched far and wide and ended up with the likes of David Wilson(spinal stenosis) Rashad Jennings, Andre Williams, Andre Brown, Paul Perkins, Orleans Darkwa, etc and simply have not been able to find that workhorse back thats great at all phases of the game coming out of the gates. 

At this point, it's just a pleasure to see defenses actually have to respect a threat to run instead of the offense being nothing but Eli chucking and ducking all day.

I would like a young QB waiting in the wings but we can stop acting like Sam Darnold was the last one or that it's impossible to get in position for a high pick ever again.

1 hour ago, blakjak said:

Drafting Barkley was a massive F N failure,  he's basically Ahmad Bradshaw with Jacob's build, the TD he had yesterday i have seen AB do that a few times, stop and explode...and AB was drafted in the 7th, round 5 picks away from being mister irrelevant...

18 minutes ago, pencil face said:

Drafting Barkley was a massive F N failure,  he's basically Ahmad Bradshaw with Jacob's build, the TD he had yesterday i have seen AB do that a few times, stop and explode...and AB was drafted in the 7th, round 5 picks away from being mister irrelevant...

Who would you haven taken instead?

14 minutes ago, blakjak said:

Who would you haven taken instead?

Should have drafted Sam Darnold, Jets don't have an offensive line and they don't have an Odell, Odell would have help with Sam's development...

1 hour ago, vincent_NJG said:

The "you can't take a running back top 5" is a too oft-repeated false narrative.

The notion is that "well you can find a running back anywhere!" With the exception of Kerryon Johnson in Detroit, the bulk of the running backs taken after Saquon have done nothing. Fellow first rounders Rashad Penny has been embarrassing, Nick Chubb barely touches the field, and Ronald Jones has been a healthy scratch.

Since Bradshaw's feet started breaking down, the Giants have searched far and wide and ended up with the likes of David Wilson(spinal stenosis) Rashad Jennings, Andre Williams, Andre Brown, Paul Perkins, Orleans Darkwa, etc and simply have not been able to find that workhorse back thats great at all phases of the game coming out of the gates. 

At this point, it's just a pleasure to see defenses actually have to respect a threat to run instead of the offense being nothing but Eli chucking and ducking all day.

I would like a young QB waiting in the wings but we can stop acting like Sam Darnold was the last one or that it's impossible to get in position for a high pick ever again.

I don't even think Darnold is all that.  If they HAD picked a QB at two I would have rather they picked Allen.  Just my opinion.

48 minutes ago, Happyfoosball said:

I don't even think Darnold is all that.  If they HAD picked a QB at two I would have rather they picked Allen.  Just my opinion.

I liked Darnold a lot but was definitely intrigued with Josh Allen's overall potential. 

Again. What concerned me and probably the Giants brass about Darnold is his admitted bouts with confidence. That can bury you in the NY media market. I want to see how he rebounds against Jacksonville after getting already getting torn apart by the media. God forbid the Jets lose and he struggles again. The backlash will be relentless.

11 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

I liked Darnold a lot but was definitely intrigued with Josh Allen's overall potential. 

Again. What concerned me and probably the Giants brass about Darnold is his admitted bouts with confidence. That can bury you in the NY media market. I want to see how he rebounds against Jacksonville after getting already getting torn apart by the media. God forbid the Jets lose and he struggles again. The backlash will be relentless.

The media won't turn on him for a year or two.  He has time.  I've seen him on game pass a couple of times, he looks good like Alex Smith good.  He's probably a sure thing but I don't see a whole lot of star potential there.  Whereas with Allen, jeez.  I am watching the Bills Vikings now on gamepass and holy crap that guy has an AK-47 for an arm. 

1 hour ago, pencil face said:

Sure, sometimes you can land that diamond in the rough that was Bradshaw. How many backs have the Giants grabbed since Bradshaw in 07 that have been anywhere near as good as him? 

I really never understood this "you can't draft (insert position) top 10" narrative.

Supposedly the top 10 is reserved for QB, CB, Edge, DT, and OT. Absolutely NOT running back

Bet the Rams, Cowboys, and Jags are really kicking themselves for Gurley, Zeke, and Fournette

Same with Carolina. They finally decided to actually use McCaffrey Sunday and he goes nuts.

McCaffrey, Gurley and Barkley are all in the top 5 in yards from scrimmage so far.

Just now, Happyfoosball said:

The media won't turn on him for a year or two.  He has time.  I've seen him on game pass a couple of times, he looks good like Alex Smith good.  He's probably a sure thing but I don't see a whole lot of star potential there.  Whereas with Allen, jeez.  I am watching the Bills Vikings now on gamepass and holy crap that guy has an AK-47 for an arm. 

Idk. Even Eli was ripped to pieces through his rookie season. Especially since they gave up so much to get him and Big Ben was playing so well.

That was probably Eli's best quality. No matter how bad it got(and it got bad) he never lost confidence. I think one of his most underrated moments was in week 2 of 2011 where he and the offense looked like hot garbage in the first half and he was getting booed by the home crowd. Throws sweet TD to Hixon near the end of the half but loses him and proceeds to play lights out for the rest of the game and season 

9 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

Idk. Even Eli was ripped to pieces through his rookie season. Especially since they gave up so much to get him and Big Ben was playing so well.

That was probably Eli's best quality. No matter how bad it got(and it got bad) he never lost confidence. I think one of his most underrated moments was in week 2 of 2011 where he and the offense looked like hot garbage in the first half and he was getting booed by the home crowd. Throws sweet TD to Hixon near the end of the half but loses him and proceeds to play lights out for the rest of the game and season 

2011 was Eli's best season.  I ate tons of crow for what he did that year and I'll never, ever call him sheli again.  The Giants are a funny team, consistent mediocrity punctuated by Superbowl runs.  Eli's historically good when they run the ball well...

6 hours ago, pencil face said:

You’re clueless. 

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:45 AM, boogyman said:

But can Eli consistently play good enough with the team he has around him to win enough games to make the playoffs?

If every game is against the Eagles, the answer is:  YES !!  <g>

19 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

You’re clueless. 

He may not be on point with his remark, but the jury is still out on Barkley.  To me, a #2 overall on a RB requires a generational type player, and I haven't seen anything from Barkley to indicate that he qualifies as such

3 hours ago, Procus said:

He may not be on point with his remark, but the jury is still out on Barkley.  To me, a #2 overall on a RB requires a generational type player, and I haven't seen anything from Barkley to indicate that he qualifies as such

First off, the jury is still out on every rookie and in many cases second year players. In regards to Barkley himself, if the early returns haven't convinced you then you either haven't been watching close enough or have no clue how to evaluate a player. Maybe it's a combination of both. The Eagles played at the same time as the Giants Sunday so I'm sure you only caught highlights or looked at a box score. The kid is amazing and classifying him as just a RB is downplaying his impact on the game. He is absolutely worthy of the #2 pick, but whether or not it was wise to take him over one of these QBs is still up for debate and a topic for a different discussion. We also won't have the answer for another year or two. 

On 9/24/2018 at 9:12 PM, blakjak said:

You could haved sucked this year with Manning whilst prepping Sam Darnold or Josh Allen. Then next season draft a good RB with the high pick, or an Oline for which RBBC can run behind.