Sign in to follow this  
Procus

Eli Manning

6 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

Yeah I did say Chase. I live in Eagles territory. The plan after Sam was traded was to start Chase but Carson was way too impressive in camp and preseason.

It depends on the QB. Some are ready to go and others are too raw and lack the self confidence to overcome early struggle.

Its not just that , it depends on the team you have around them. You dont want to send a rookie out to get killed behind the wrong Oline .... although I think right QB could be fine with Giants as the Weapons around him would be enough to offset

1 hour ago, vincent_NJG said:

I noticed you didn't bold the first line regarding the Eagles starting Wentz as a rookie. You can also address Seattle starting Russell Wilson as a rookie.

Big Ben and Eli both starting by this point in their rookie seasons...

There is no one way. 

Wilson won the job in camp vs a guy who had been in the league for a while. So did Wentz. If you drop Eli and draft a rookie, he is going to have to play if he is ready or not. It's a big difference IMO. Although seeing how Odell would act if he had to play a whole season with an overmatched rookie QB would be amazing.

When you start a rookie QB it is extremely helpful for that rookie to be the starter going through camp, or at the very least coming out of camp.  We are going to get our QB in the draft.  This idea that he's on the roster is misplaced.  I watched the preseason, he's not on the roster. 

Also, look around the league.  All of the other teams on pace to pick in the top 5 have QB's already.  The Giants are in really good shape heading in to this years draft.  As long as they don't win more than 5 games I think we get our QB.

50 minutes ago, boogyman said:

Wilson won the job in camp vs a guy who had been in the league for a while. So did Wentz. If you drop Eli and draft a rookie, he is going to have to play if he is ready or not. It's a big difference IMO. Although seeing how Odell would act if he had to play a whole season with an overmatched rookie QB would be amazing.

Exactly. It depends on the QB. Obviously, the new guy will have to compete in camp with either Lauletta or some other veteran. Winner of qb battle starts the season. If rookie loses battle out of camp, veteran is on short leash. 

1 hour ago, NE.Jon said:

Its not just that , it depends on the team you have around them. You dont want to send a rookie out to get killed behind the wrong Oline .... although I think right QB could be fine with Giants as the Weapons around him would be enough to offset

That's been my entire argument from the beginning. The next guy will have a presumably improved line thats actually played together, and arguably the best TE/RB/WR trios in the league. He wouldn't exactly be thrown to the wolves here.

2 hours ago, vsptroops said:

Meh that lockeroom is filled with guys that has emotional problems. 

Anyway the Giants are getting Justin Herbert next year out of Oregon and the guy is like Mariota 2.0, but bigger and stronger.

On 10/12/2018 at 3:54 PM, Happyfoosball said:

When you start a rookie QB it is extremely helpful for that rookie to be the starter going through camp, or at the very least coming out of camp.  We are going to get our QB in the draft.  This idea that he's on the roster is misplaced.  I watched the preseason, he's not on the roster. 

Also, look around the league.  All of the other teams on pace to pick in the top 5 have QB's already.  The Giants are in really good shape heading in to this years draft.  As long as they don't win more than 5 games I think we get our QB.

I wouldn't sleep on that.  All it means is those teams are looking to trade out and get more picks to surround their Qb with.  And I really wouldn't sleep on thinking there aren't many teams looking.  Tannehill is hurt again in Miami, expect them to move on.  Gruden might be falling out with Carr.  Chargers, Broncos, Buccaneers will be looking.

11 minutes ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Anyway the Giants are getting Justin Herbert next year out of Oregon and the guy is like Mariota 2.0, but bigger and stronger.

I don't think the Giants are the worst team in the league.  Too many weapons on offense to not win at least 4 games.  The 49ers, Cardinals, Raiders and a couple others will contend for that #1 pick.  If the Giants don't own the pick, they will be just another team trying to trade up for him.  That's where the wisdom of "getting the Qb if you have the chance to " comes into play.

So while Herbert could potentially absolve them, that is no slam dunk.

2 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

I don't think the Giants are the worst team in the league.  Too many weapons on offense to not win at least 4 games.  The 49ers, Cardinals, Raiders and a couple others will contend for that #1 pick.  If the Giants don't own the pick, they will be just another team trying to trade up for him.  That's where the wisdom of "getting the Qb if you have the chance to " comes into play.

True, but i'd be a little surprised if those other teams take a QB high.

3 minutes ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

True, but i'd be a little surprised if those other teams take a QB high.

The raiders might.  Gruden has a 10 year contract, he might easily decide to get rid of Carr and go with Hebert.  Meanwhile the other teams are looking for more picks, so they will be trading out to a team that does need a Qb.

John Elway is a guy who would give the farm to land Herbert.

58 minutes ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Would Mariota really make the Giants much better though? If that's what the guy is, I dont follow college.

2 minutes ago, boogyman said:

Would Mariota really make the Giants much better though? If that's what the guy is, I dont follow college.

I think he would. And Shurmur would probably emulate what the Eagles do on offense since he was here before and knows how to utilize a mobile QB. I definitely think Herbert fits what the Giants would like to do almost perfectly.

Take a look at this article of Giants scouts looking at Herbert.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Article/Justin-Herbert-New-York-Giants-scouts-watch-Oregon-QB-again-123211649/

For what is reportedly the fourth time this season, the Giants are sending scouts to watch the Oregon quarterback live and up close this Saturday when he matches up against one of the best pass defenses in college football -- the Washington Huskies. According to Chase Goodbread, the Giants are one of 10 NFL teams to send scouts to Herbert's game. The Giants scouts have previously been sent to scout Herbert and the Oregon Ducks earlier this season on multiple occasions.

2 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

The raiders might.  Gruden has a 10 year contract, he might easily decide to get rid of Carr and go with Hebert.  Meanwhile the other teams are looking for more picks, so they will be trading out to a team that does need a Qb.

John Elway is a guy who would give the farm to land Herbert.

Carr just signed a monster deal last year but he could be cut/traded.

Other teams could absolutely make a run at Herbert. Theres other prospects though. The potential 2019 class is looking much better than originally expected.

Herbert, Haskins, Lock, Grier, and Thorson could all possibly be first rounders depending on demand.

20 hours ago, vincent_NJG said:

Carr just signed a monster deal last year but he could be cut/traded.

Other teams could absolutely make a run at Herbert. Theres other prospects though. The potential 2019 class is looking much better than originally expected.

Herbert, Haskins, Lock, Grier, and Thorson could all possibly be first rounders depending on demand.

It always does.  We'll get our QB this year.  Whether that QB ever becomes anything is contingent on whether or not the OL is fixed.  If it continues to be this bad... The new QB will be toast.