AlpineEagle

Week 3: Jets @ Browns

7 hours ago, birdman said:

I guess this is Bakers team now. 

There is absolutely no way you can sit the guy who got your first W in over 600+ days. 

It's not necessarily being the QB when they won. It's about how he turned around an offense that was completely enemy and carried them to victory. I've never seen something quite like that ever from a rookie.

44 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

I've never seen something quite like that ever from a rookie.

Yeah it's just the situation of how awful the offense was and clearly the energy boost was noticeable when Mayfield went in that made it like something I haven't seen before. I got the same feeling last night that I had when Wentz made his first start except amplified by the fact that the offense had been trash to that point. You could just see "it" with the guy, and both the crowd and his teammates clearly feel it.

8 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

So, next week Mayfield becomes starting QB # 436 for the Browns since 1999.

They're gonna have to add a verse to the BIlly Joel parody song already.

50 minutes ago, nipples said:

Yeah it's just the situation of how awful the offense was and clearly the energy boost was noticeable when Mayfield went in that made it like something I haven't seen before. I got the same feeling last night that I had when Wentz made his first start except amplified by the fact that the offense had been trash to that point. You could just see "it" with the guy, and both the crowd and his teammates clearly feel it.

Even when he fumbled early and the offensive linemen must have been thinking, "I can't let this fail right now." He fought for the ball, then ran 9 yards.

Also, I didn't realize Mayfield had quite so much arm strength.

On 9/21/2018 at 12:52 PM, Parrot Head said:

It’s amazing that it took a concussion to Tyrod for Hue to see what I’ve been seeing since preseason.

Baker should have been starting since day 1. 

Yet even after last night Hue was still non committal to naming Baker the full time starter :roll:

I personally think he handled this superbly. He gave the vet a chance to start and for Baker an opportunity to take over when he is ready. Even though he may have been ready day 1, he experienced game day atmosphere and everything and ended up looking like the saviour of an inept offense. 

Also it now looks like Baker earnt the starting job, rather than being gifted it because he is the first pick. Baker also showed a humble side of not demanding to be starter and willingness to support the team from the shadows.

Therefore, whether or not all of this was planned by Hue, this situation is ideal.