LA_Eagle_Fan

Is Jon Gruden in way over his head?

Sure, three games does not a tenure make, but dude's 0-3 and his team is looking listless for long stretches. Now we have reports saying he's divided the Raiders because he only trusts his "inner circle" instead of the team scouts.

Let's put aside the fact that he hasn't coached in a decade. Even when he coached, Gruden wasn't the best at developing talent. In his first tenure, he inherited a Raiders team that would be the oldest in the NFL for years and really didn't become elite until Rich Gannon bloomed late. Then he got traded to Tampa Bay and coasted off an elite defense to a Super Bowl, and while his offense was efficient at times, it never became a stud. When the Bucs got old, he tried to groom some youth, but they never returned to elite form. Now after a decade-long hiatus, he's back with the Raiders expected to do what he never did in the first place.

Really, we admire Gruden for his passion, grit, and personality, but looking back on his career purely as a coach, it seems more like he lucked into fortunate situations rather than build his own team.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:05 PM, bwestbrook36 said:

The guy is still doing things like it's the freaking 80's and it's pissing his players off

I wish it was the 80's, I had a blast back then.

17 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I wish it was the 80's, I had a blast back then.

Lol I don't remember them I was only born in 1980. 

18 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I was in 6th grade in 1980 (80-81).

Well at least you were still in school lol. 90's is my decade to remember. 

The Raiders made a huge mistake bringing him in. He cant coach his way out of a paper bag at this point, and he’ll probably wind up destroying the team in the next 2-3 years before he gets fired, just like he did with the Bucs. 

38 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I was in 6th grade in 1980 (80-81).

i was stationed in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba ?

I was listening to a radio show the other day and the host was talking about how Gruden just refuses to adapt the current style of the game. He is sticking to a coaching style that worked in the 90's when it comes to practice and game management/play calling.  The game has passed him by and he refuses to adjust.  I would be surprised if they win 4 games this year. 

It was a joke to sign him and it's a joke the way he is coaching. Gruden can talk a good game and that's always been his forte. 

And in his younger days, he was an intelligent offensive mind, but he's gotten more stubborn and inflexible as the years has gone by.

4 minutes ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

It was a joke to sign him and it's a joke the way he is coaching. Gruden can talk a good game and that's always been his forte. 

And in his younger days, he was an intelligent offensive mind, but he's gotten more stubborn and inflexible as the years has gone by.

I wouldn't say I should eat crow cause I did like him and I still think he is a good x'S and O's guy. However, I knew he was terrible with development and personnel. He wants old arse players because they will listen to him cause they are on there last legs and he gives them a shot to start. 

He is in over his head.  Head Coaching is not just about Xs and Os (not sure he is good with innovation on that front either) but is also about leadership, consensus building, motivation, vision, delegation, empowerment etc.

IMO Gruden has none of those traits that I can see and never did as a previous head coach.

19 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I wouldn't say I should eat crow cause I did like him and I still think he is a good x'S and O's guy. However, I knew he was terrible with development and personnel. He wants old arse players because they will listen to him cause they are on there last legs and he gives them a shot to start. 

I hear you. If Marc Davis looked at the totality of Gruden as a coach, then all signs would point to Gruden not being a rational choice. 

But Gruden had his QB coach segment with ESPN and it appeared as though he would have an emphasis on player development if he coached again. He just never had the patience before, so why would he now?

12 hours ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

I hear you. If Marc Davis looked at the totality of Gruden as a coach, then all signs would point to Gruden not being a rational choice. 

But Gruden had his QB coach segment with ESPN and it appeared as though he would have an emphasis on player development if he coached again. He just never had the patience before, so why would he now?

He is just a complete deek. If you watch him on the sidelines after defense or special mess up he will stare down the coordinator and shake his head. Like his offense does no wrong

at this point I bet some of us fans could do a better job .  Ive seen a few on this forum and rivals that have their crap together . I wont say names as their egos dont need it  :P 

I’m not even a raider fan, and  he had me screwed up when he traded one of the best defensive players in the league. 

What he did rivals what that *insert expletive*chip kelly did when he released DJax and traded Shady. Un-freaking-believable

To think of how many Eagles fans clamored for him to be brought in as HC, during the Andy era, after Andy was fired, and after Chip was fired. 

Heck, there’s probably still some that want him to be the coach here. 

:roll:

Gruden will be fine. People act like he took over NE or PITT. He’s in for the long haul and they need to reload. Cooper isn’t who they thought he would be. Crabtree is gone. MarShawn is ancient. Their D sucked with Mack. They were losing either way. 

You got to give him time to get his guys in like college.