daniel anderson

Is it time for Fox and CBS to have doubleheaders each week?

Example: CBS couldn't show the Browns-Steelers game when it went into OT because it was Fox's doubleheader, same thing with Fox and the Vikings-Packers game in week 2. Should be rules be modified to allow OT games to be shown?

I honestly feel like if they really want to promote the league, the NFL should allow ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox to host double headers. Add in the ESPN game and the Monday Night game, and that's 10 games, exposing fans to 20 teams per week. I know it's far fetched but I would be more intrigued if I had more exposure to teams that live out of my area. 

7 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Meh. I only really care about the Eagles game.

Same -- except for then the Cowboys are on, and that's aloooooooooooooooooot.  Good God, I love watching them lose :P

1 hour ago, Plache said:

Same -- except for then the Cowboys are on, and that's aloooooooooooooooooot.  Good God, I love watching them lose :P

I saw some stat that showed nationally televised games in which the cowboys lose get the highest ratings in the nfl.

8 hours ago, The_Talon said:

I honestly feel like if they really want to promote the league, the NFL should allow ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox to host double headers. Add in the ESPN game and the Monday Night game, and that's 10 games, exposing fans to 20 teams per week. I know it's far fetched but I would be more intrigued if I had more exposure to teams that live out of my area. 

I like your idea.  Ratings are down, but they want you to pay extra to watch games and the redzone.  History suggests that the more games that are broadcast free to people, the more fans are created, but these guys are so short sighted and greedy...

3 hours ago, Plache said:

If there's a game going on that I want to see but don't get locally, I just change my VPN to whichever city the game is being played in and then I can watch it.

15 hours ago, The_Talon said:

But that means ABC would need to take 2 games away from Fox or CBS, same thing with NBC.  For example, ABC could have took Cincinnati @ Carolina and LA Chargers @ LA Rams for a doubleheader. NBC then could have taken the NY Giants @ Houston and Chicago @ Arizona games for a doubleheader. 

On 9/25/2018 at 5:43 PM, bwestbrook36 said:

Is this wallyhorses brother?

????

This is someone who posts on a couple of other forums I do and he posts stuff like this there as well.

As for weekly "double-doubleheaders," there are some weeks where viewers would be stuck with one game in each slot so no.  As I would do it, you would have "double doubleheaders" on CBS and FOX in an 18-week season (two bye weeks for all teams with the new bye week tied to mid-week games):

Week 1: In my format, the first week would have NBC do the opening game on the Monday or Tuesday BEFORE Labor Day, with CBS and FOX each getting their own doubleheader that would be at 7:10 and 10:35 PM Eastern Time the two days after that as the first week would be ALL mid-week games to avoid having any games on Labor Day weekend (CBS would be on Wednesday due to "Big Brother" airing on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the summer while FOX would get theirs either on Tuesday or Thursday.  This could be done as there would be NO games on ESPN the first week (Week 2 would start with ESPN getting their opening doubleheader on Wednesday, followed by NBC getting a Thursday prime time game followed by NBC and ESPN getting their regular Sunday and Monday night games while Week 3 would have a Thursday nighter on FOX between teams who played Wednesday or Thursday in Week 2 and Week 4 being the first Thursday nighter between teams coming off a bye week).  With that, you would have the "double doubleheaders" in Week 1, just on different nights for each network.  Whether Week 1 is Mon-Wed or Tues-Thurs depends on whether or not you want to go opposite college football on Thursday the opening week. 

Week 18: This would actually have every single game airing nationally between ALL of the NFL's Broadcast partners simultaneously, including the use of cable outlets and DT-2/DT-4 Channels owned by the networks, with all games in one conference airing simultaneously at 3:00 PM Eastern Time and the other conference at 7:00 PM Eastern Time (and all games available online without any special subscription required). NBC gets the most important game in each time slot, FOX/CBS split Games 2-3, ABC gets the #4 game, ESPN the #5 game (also on LivWell, ABC's DT-2 Channel), NFL Network the #6 game (also on Movies or Buzzr, FOX's DT-2/DT-4 channel) and CBS/FOX getting games #7-8 of importance on their DT-2/DT-4 channels (DECADES for CBS, Movies/Buzzr for FOX).  This also eliminated the possibility of NBC not having a game the final day as they would get two, albeit opposite seven other games airing simultaneously. 

As New Year's Day falls on a Tuesday this year, there is no worries on having to schedule, 

That's how you do it. 

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:03 AM, daniel anderson said:

Example: CBS couldn't show the Browns-Steelers game when it went into OT because it was Fox's doubleheader, same thing with Fox and the Vikings-Packers game in week 2. Should be rules be modified to allow OT games to be shown?

Yes, I think they should. It's irritating to say the least to have to be told that, according to NFL rules, a game that you've been switched to cannot be shown in its entirety. Once you get fans involved in an OT game, pulling the rug from under them before the game ends makes little sense. I'm a football fan, and I'd much rather see the end of a game than the beginning of another one, i don't care who is playing.

Forget about doubleheaders, open up Sunday Ticket so it is not exclusive to third-rate satellite TV. The OT games that carryover would be good incentive to buy Sunday Ticket if it were available to more than 10% of viewers.  Then you could watch that game in its entirety.

2 hours ago, toolg said:

Forget about doubleheaders, open up Sunday Ticket so it is not exclusive to third-rate satellite TV. The OT games that carryover would be good incentive to buy Sunday Ticket if it were available to more than 10% of viewers.  Then you could watch that game in its entirety.

It would be nice if they made the games ala carte. I could just pay for an Eagles game if its not on in my area- make it like 15 or 20 bucks. I live in NOVA, so for me to get the sunday ticket is a waste of money because with the 2 times they play the skins and the other nationally televised games, I would be paying like $300 for like 6-8 games.

1 hour ago, vsptroops said:

It would be nice if they made the games ala carte. I could just pay for an Eagles game if its not on in my area- make it like 15 or 20 bucks. I live in NOVA, so for me to get the sunday ticket is a waste of money because with the 2 times they play the skins and the other nationally televised games, I would be paying like $300 for like 6-8 games.

They do that with the NBA. I think it would be a great option

5 hours ago, toolg said:

That may actually happen as early as 2020:  https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/nfl-could-leave-directv-bringing-a-potential-gold-rush-of-suitors-for-sunday-ticket-package.html

Adding to what I posted above about going to an 18-week schedule:

As all teams would have two bye weeks in my format with one of those tied to mid-week games, one thing I'd be considering is having two weeks with just SIX games total and a special schedule each of those two weeks.  These two weeks would have London games by themselves with a special Noon ET kickoff.  As I would do it those weeks, we would have:

Thursday Night Football: Teams have bye week before such.
London Game: One week on CBS, other week on FOX, Noon ET kickoff (5:00 PM locally in London).
CBS and FOX each get a single game opposite each other kicking at 3:45 PM ET (40 minutes earlier than usual).
NBC's Sunday Night game those two weeks kicks early at 7:40 PM ET (40 minutes earlier than usual).

These would be in October, likely in Weeks 6 & 7 when you have the MLB Division Playoffs and both League Championship Series going on (Weeks 6-7 because the season would start one week earlier as noted above).  It would have standalone London games starting at a more reasonable hour for many.

My plan would be to keep the Thursday night package, but move kickoff up 65-69 hours. The rest I'd leave alone.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:34 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

My plan would be to keep the Thursday night package, but move kickoff up 65-69 hours. The rest I'd leave alone.

Dammit Joe you made me read that like 6 times lol

On 9/25/2018 at 12:48 AM, The_Talon said:

Direct TV and all the other TV providers would never allow to NFL to do that. They just stand to lose way too much money IMO.