Sign in to follow this  
Uscg-Green

Any more debate on ELI being HOF'er

7 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

People bring up his inflated stats .... but ignore what a joke the NFL has become in protecting QBs and WRs in Elis Era ... which obviously helped him to a long long career. How many of these prissy QBs  would last in the 80s / early 90s football ?  

Did you walk up hill to school both ways when you were a kid? 

Ha, kidding. I agree somewhat, but anyone that’s watched Eli play over the years, especially Eagles fans, knows he’s taken some vicious hits. He’s a doofus, but he’s a tough and very durable doofus. 

1 minute ago, BKLYNYG said:

Not only that, but barefoot and in the snow.

7 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

Ha, kidding. I agree somewhat, but anyone that’s watched Eli play over the years, especially Eagles fans, knows he’s taken some vicious hits. He’s a doofus, but he’s a tough and very durable doofus. 

Cant pull or tear a muscle if you have no muscle. He is like Gumby.

1 minute ago, boogyman said:

Cant pull or tear a muscle if you have no muscle. He is like Gumby.

Same with Brady and Payton. Maybe they’re on to something. 

11 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

never said he was weak ... its actually impressive. I love to bust his balls being Giants QB .  He did his job by making sure he was always available ... sometimes  thats more important then being a Superstar that only plays 50-75 % of games

36 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It shouldn't be. It should actually hurt his chances.

It is what it is. Applies in all sports. 

The Joe Namath analogy is perfect.

You can't tell the story of the NFL in the 2000s so far without Eli. 

I can't stand the Giants, but he belongs in, if just barely. 

20 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

Same with Brady and Payton. Maybe they’re on to something. 

No jokes that build may be the best for a QB.

I felt Kurt Warner shouldn't of gotten in and he did. While Kurt Warner had a few great seasons that were better than anything Eli compiled, he also had a few horrific seasons as well, and his overall numbers were less than impressive in making a case.

The main difference is Kurt had 3 years where he was considered a top 5, top 3, top QB in the league, that Eli didn't. But I'd say the voters look at a few seasons of success and can ignore the rest. In Eli's case, his seasons of success resulted in superbowls, and his other seasons were average/compiling stats. I think he has an ok shot to get in on that note.. but if i'm being honest I never felt Kurt Warner (nor Terrell Davis) should of gotten in. Being on NFL network and media exposure certainly helped their cases post career I feel.

1 hour ago, Northern Green Wings said:

I felt Kurt Warner shouldn't of gotten in and he did. While Kurt Warner had a few great seasons that were better than anything Eli compiled, he also had a few horrific seasons as well, and his overall numbers were less than impressive in making a case.

The main difference is Kurt had 3 years where he was considered a top 5, top 3, top QB in the league, that Eli didn't. But I'd say the voters look at a few seasons of success and can ignore the rest. In Eli's case, his seasons of success resulted in superbowls, and his other seasons were average/compiling stats. I think he has an ok shot to get in on that note.. but if i'm being honest I never felt Kurt Warner (nor Terrell Davis) should of gotten in. Being on NFL network and media exposure certainly helped their cases post career I feel.

I think a period of being spectacular and one of if not the best over that time is more important than compiling. Especially if you cashed in and won a ring.

10 minutes ago, boogyman said:

I think a period of being spectacular and one of if not the best over that time is more important than compiling. Especially if you cashed in and won a ring.

There have been many NFL players though that have been exceptional for a short stretch like Kurt was but they aren't in the hall of fame. Shaun Alexander would be a good example, where he dominated the NFL, won an MVP as a RB, probably should of been part of a superbowl winning team given how one-sided the calls were in the one, but was still able to bring his team there. But I don't think he'll be considered as his overall career stats aren't there. 

Frank Gore is likely to go to the hall of fame when he retires as he has the stats that he compiled, but only once in his career was he ever considered a top 5 RB.

The fact that Eli has rings with superbowl MVPs and the stats, I think you'd be hard pressed to keep him out. 

Personally I also think the HoF is starting to water down with who they are letting in but that's just me.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:20 AM, BKLYNYG said:

I think he belongs in the Giants ring of honor, but not in the HOF. Not enough consistency. 

Isn't that where you guys lube each other up and take turns?