Sign in to follow this  
Br3

The New York Giants are the new Cleveland Browns

5 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

This is what Giant fans dont understand  ... They think who cares we will get a QB next year .  As if its that easy and a high pick means auto talent .

Of course not, it's never a guarantee. I would argue though that loving the player himself more than just the position he plays is a good head start. Coaching also plays a big part as well. I'm not convinced Wentz would have been as good had he gone to the mess in Cleveland and had to deal with that dysfunction for 2 seasons. I think having Pederson, Reich, and DeFillipo for 2 seasons had a massive impact on how far Wentz has come along today.

6 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Of course not, it's never a guarantee. I would argue though that loving the player himself more than just the position he plays is a good head start. Coaching also plays a big part as well. I'm not convinced Wentz would have been as good had he gone to the mess in Cleveland and had to deal with that dysfunction for 2 seasons. I think having Pederson, Reich, and DeFillipo for 2 seasons had a massive impact on how far Wentz has come along today.

For sure , just think of some of the QBs that came into the NFL onto a horrid team and never lived up to expectations.

25 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

This is what Giant fans dont understand  ... They think who cares we will get a QB next year .  As if its that easy and a high pick means auto talent .

Dude are you kidding? We’ve literally been trying to explain this point to you and a handful of other blockheads for months. Read Joe’s post again. I don’t think you understand what he’s saying. 

4 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

Dude are you kidding? We’ve literally been trying to explain this point to you and a handful of other blockheads for months. Read Joe’s post again. I don’t think you understand what he’s saying. 

So you are all of Gaints fans now HAHAH .... I sure do get what he is saying .  I guess you dont read what your fellow fans say ... or you just talk football here ?

6 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

So you are all of Gaints fans now HAHAH .... I sure do get what he is saying .  I guess you dont read what your fellow fans say ... or you just talk football here ?

Hey my apologies. I assumed you were talking about the guys here. I didn’t realize you’ve been polling other Giants fans around the tri state. 

14 hours ago, pencil face said:

Giants land a franchise QB, the division will be ours again, but until enjoy it...

It's as if... Wentz didnt exist. 

46 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

It's been like this with everyone. It's amazing

Them: you don't take a rb over a franchise QB! You never do that!

Me: we don't know that any of them were "franchise qbs"

Them: Giants blew a golden opportunity to get use a top pick on a qb prospect for a rb! 

Me: you do know there's a draft next year too right?

Them: there's no guarantee that the QBs available in next year's draft will pan out!

Me: that's exactly what I just said regarding the 2018 class. 

Them: um....uh... Giants suck!

Draft a franchise QB next year and watch him get pummeled behind that line.  Very Clevelanesque. NY, the new QB graveyard. 

25 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

Them: Giants blew a golden opportunity to get use a top pick on a qb prospect for a rb! 

Them: there's no guarantee that the QBs available in next year's draft will pan out!

Yep, and honestly the only QB from the 2018 class that I think is going to be one of those elite QBs a few years from now is POSSIBLY Mayfield, if the Browns don’t ruin him. 

34 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

Well the last part is true. They do suck.

17 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

The Browns were smart enough not to draft an RB over a QB, and as a result they actually have hope. The Giants on the other hand saw first hand that even when an RB has a crazy good game, they still get blown out because it's a QB driven league.

A bit myopic.  Not like the Jets/Bills/Cardinals are tearing it up either.  The Browns are finally .500 team and its only because their defense has like 15 top 10 picks invested.

To be fair to the Giants, at least one of the Qb's they passed on has to actually have a franchise Qb career.  I have said many, many times, the mistake was not passing on Darnold, it was passing on Rosen.  But that said, you can't really nail them for the decision until one of these guys is proven 100% legit.

26 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

A bit myopic.  Not like the Jets/Bills/Cardinals are tearing it up either.  The Browns are finally .500 team and its only because their defense has like 15 top 10 picks invested.

To be fair to the Giants, at least one of the Qb's they passed on has to actually have a franchise Qb career.  I have said many, many times, the mistake was not passing on Darnold, it was passing on Rosen.  But that said, you can't really nail them for the decision until one of these guys is proven 100% legit.

Last year without Saquon, they were a 3 win team. This year with Saquon, at probowl level performance, they are still gonna be a 2-3 win team. Running backs in today's NFL don't move the needle in wins/losses, they are not foundation pieces. That's why you don't' pass on franchise QBs for a RB, no matter how good a prospect he is.

1 minute ago, D-Shiznit said:

Last year without Saquon, they were a 3 win team. This year with Saquon, at probowl level performance btw, they are still gonna be a 2-3 win team. Running backs in today's NFL don't move the needle, they are not foundation pieces. That's why you don't' pass on franchise QBs for a RB, no matter how good a prospect he is.

Yes we know that, but the Giants pretty clearly didn't like the Qb's available.  I think the Browns still look like bigger idiots because Mayfield has yet to prove he can hold Wentz jock, much less make up for the 2 years they went without a Qb.

The Giants still have an incomplete grade because until we know who they ultimately draft and we know how the '18 Qb's pan out, we can't really say for sure they made a mistake.

3 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Yes we know that, but the Giants pretty clearly didn't like the Qb's available.  I think the Browns still look like bigger idiots because Mayfield has yet to prove he can hold Wentz jock, much less make up for the 2 years they went without a Qb.

The Giants still have an incomplete grade because until we know who they ultimately draft and we know how the '18 Qb's pan out, we can't really say for sure they made a mistake.

The Giants FO also thought Eli was good enough to be their starting QB, their QB evaluation skills are pretty clear.

18 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Give it up. I think that guy has a rail road spike stuck in his head. 

Think about it...the Giants could've easily had a franchise QB, still gotten Barkley and probably traded up to get a stud LT. All in one draft.

Thank god they're idiots. 

Can you imagine Darnold or even Rosen with Barkley?

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

The Giants FO also thought Eli was good enough to be their starting QB, their QB evaluation skills are pretty clear.

Oh no doubt about it, the Giants have clearly made a mistake in going with Eli for another 3-4 years more than they should have.  They spent a bundle on that quick fix defense and it got them one playoff berth in exchange for what will be a prolonged and painful rebuild.

That's an extra couple years we get to rule the roost in the East without having to worry about the only other franchise in the division that usually has its act together.  But the decision to pick Barkley is hardly an epic failure until we have more info about that draft class.  Barkley might already be the best Rb in the NFL.

27 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

That's an extra couple years we get to rule the roost in the East without having to worry about the only other franchise in the division that usually has its act together.  But the decision to pick Barkley is hardly an epic failure until we have more info about that draft class.  Barkley might already be the best Rb in the NFL.

If he's not the best, he's definitely top 5 already, but what has that gotten the Giants? They are gonna win basically the same amount of games with him, as they did without him last year.

Barkley is a phenomenal talent, the problem is the position he plays provides very little value and impact on the win/loss column. If you have a top 3 pick, you have to pick a foundation piece, QB, LT, or Pass Rusher, or look to trade to accumulate more picks. The difference between a serviceable and a great RB is not worth the #2 pick.

3 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

If he's not the best, he's definitely top 5 already, and what has that gotten the Giants? They are gonna win the basically the same amount of games with him, as they did without him last year.

Barkley is a phenomenal talent, the problem is the position he plays provides very little value and impact on the win/loss column. If you have a top 3 pick, you have to pick a foundation piece, QB, LT, or Pass Rusher, or look to trade to accumulate more picks.

And which player at these premium positions form the '18 draft would have them winning this year?  None, that's how many.  You have to let the Gianst rebuild over next couple years before assessing that they screwed it all up by drafting Barkley.

Again, for the record, I think drafting Barkley WILL go down as a mistake, because Josh Rosen will be a bona fide franchise Qb for Arizona. 

20 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

And which player at these premium positions form the '18 draft would have them winning this year?  None, that's how many.  You have to let the Gianst rebuild over next couple years before assessing that they screwed it all up by drafting Barkley.

I think Darnold or Rosen with the Giants skill position players would have, Eli is so bad we're forgetting how much good skill position talent they have. But, even if they were adamant that no player of that caliber existed at the premier positions, they should have traded down for more picks.

3 hours ago, madriver said:

Think about it...the Giants could've easily had a franchise QB, still gotten Barkley and probably traded up to get a stud LT. All in one draft.

Yeah. Better yet, they could have drafted Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Jackson and just had an open try out between them.

5 hours ago, madriver said:

I’d have loved that. Darnold doesn’t impress me, and neither does Rosen. I don’t think either guy ends up being more than a middle of the road starter when all is said and done. Which is why I think the Giants were smart to take a once in a generation (IMO) talent in Barkley, and holding off to get their qb. Let Eli stink it up another year, get the #1 or 2 pick again, them snag your QB to pair with your all-pro rb.

Bottom line is there isn’t a single qb from this year’s draft that excites me, outside of Mayfield. The Giants FO obviously agreed. 

Would be fascinating to know what Eagles FO and the Rams FO thought about the QBs from this past draft class. Both of these FOs have not only done a great assessment of drafting their own franchise QB in the past, but generally are good with their evaluations of players.

Let's say the Eagles had to take a QB this year, I feel as though they would have passed. Didn't like the QBs from a technical or mental point of view.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:18 PM, nipples said:

Eh, I think Barkley was well worth using that pick on

:roll: Drafting @ running back at 2 

The Giants and Cowboys both did the same stupid thing and both teams suck.