Sign in to follow this  
VaBeach_Eagle

Patriots take action against fan who threw beer at Chiefs' Tyreek Hill; police issue charges

Patriots take action against fan who threw beer at Chiefs' Tyreek Hill; police issue charges

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/10/15/tyreek-hill-gets-beer-face-finger-patriots-fans-after-touchdown/?utm_term=.b73db7449670

The New England Patriots announced Monday that they had identified the fan who threw a beer at Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill during Sunday night’s game, saying in a statement that the fan "will be sent a letter of disinvite to all future events at Gillette Stadium.” The fan, reportedly a 21-year-old from Mansfield, Mass., also will be charged with disorderly conduct and throwing an object at a sporting event by the Foxborough Police.

Statement from the New England Patriots: pic.twitter.com/VapBDpzzdg

— New England Patriots (@Patriots) October 15, 2018

Hill, who caught seven passes for 142 yards and three touchdowns in Kansas City’s 43-40 loss to the Patriots, said after the game that he wasn’t bothered by the ugly response following his last touchdown catch.

"My coach [Andy Reid] told me, ‘Don’t get emotional. Don’t get mad about it because it comes with the territory,’ ” Hill said Sunday night, according to NESN. "I’m not mad at all.”

But by Monday, Hill said through his agent that he wanted the fan prosecuted.

"That type of behavior is unacceptable,” the agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told ESPN. "Players have to be protected. We want that fan to be prosecuted.”

Rosenhaus and Hill are talking to the NFL and the players association about how to proceed, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

The incident occurred late in Sunday’s wild shootout, after Hill caught a 75-yard touchdown pass that allowed the Chiefs to tie the game. First, one fan threw a beer in Hill’s face as his cruising speed carried him out of the end zone and into the padding covering the stands. Several fans with end zone seats then flipped him off.

(Here’s a video of the incident; both the middle fingers and the beer are clearly visible.)

75-yard touchdown. ?

There's no stopping the @Cheetah. ✌️ pic.twitter.com/rZCu0MywP4

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) October 15, 2018

Hill’s long score came with just more than three minutes left in the game, finishing off a lightning quick Kansas City "drive” consuming 12 seconds and only that one play. The speed of that score wound up helping New England, allowing Tom Brady to eat up the remaining time with run plays and a 39-yard pass to Rob Gronkowski that put the Patriots in field goal range. Stephen Gostkowski’s game-winning kick, from 28 yards, capped a frenetic 30-point fourth quarter, with the Patriots handing the Chiefs their first loss of the season.

But before that came Hill’s touchdown and the hostile end zone greeting from Patriots fans. That nastiness was caught by NBC’s "Sunday Night Football” cameras, and the moment quickly captured social media conversation.

"Now if he smacked ... one of you clowns you would be all over social media crying ready to sue him!” former NFL running back Reggie Bush tweeted. "Fans need to chill before somebody get hurt! You don’t have to like the opposing team but you need to show respect or don’t go!”

Nate Burleson, the former NFL wide receiver, had a similar thought.

"What’s sad is if [Hill] hit one of them, he’d be in the wrong,” he tweeted. "This tweet is not to encourage NFL players to respond aggressively to unruly idiots but more of a message to FANS. ... You’re not at the zoo watching animals so show some respect!”

Others noted that Hill had already been given a single-digit salute two weeks ago during a Monday night game in Denver.

We hear it's Do Something Nice Day... ? pic.twitter.com/PTtweVzsVK

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) October 5, 2018

Football fans, of course, haven’t cornered the market on this kind of behavior. Red Sox reliever Craig Kimbrel was almost hit with a beer can as he exited the bullpen at Yankee Stadium during the American League Division Series last week.

A Yankees fan throws a full beer can at Craig Kimbrel as he leaves the bullpen pic.twitter.com/LuDO5gOeEN

I wish the courts would have taken action again Hill when he threw more than Beer at his girlfriend.  But football players are allowed the break laws with little to no punishment

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osu/football/pregnant-former-girlfriend-recounts-alleged-attack-by-former-osu-player/article_6355f347-4583-5b23-b40e-67d17857d2e5.html

16 minutes ago, CountBlah said:

I wish the courts would have taken action again Hill when he threw more than Beer at his girlfriend.  But football players are allowed the break laws with little to no punishment

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osu/football/pregnant-former-girlfriend-recounts-alleged-attack-by-former-osu-player/article_6355f347-4583-5b23-b40e-67d17857d2e5.html

What does any of this have to do with the topic of the original post? Completely irrelevant 

I'm just glad to see a fanbase other than the Eagles fanbase, get some of this attention. I'm just surprised that the article didn't mention snowballs and Santa.

I saw it live and was waiting for the announcers to discuss it but then it was almost like nbc purposefully skipped over that part when showing replays

Although it is a little difficult for colinsworth to talk much with Tom Brady’s wiener in his mouth 

5 hours ago, Injured_Reserve said:

Doesnt stuff like this happen all the time?

Still doesn't make it right. That idiot didn't even start to think that he cameras might not be pointing in the general vicinity? Good on the Patriots for giving this chump a lifetime ban, with him only being 21 that has to sting. 

2 hours ago, birdman said:

Still doesn't make it right. That idiot didn't even start to think that he cameras might not be pointing in the general vicinity? Good on the Patriots for giving this chump a lifetime ban, with him only being 21 that has to sting. 

Yeah, a momentary brain fart means that he can't go to any Patriots games in the future.

14 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'm just glad to see a fanbase other than the Eagles fanbase, get some of this attention. I'm just surprised that the article didn't mention snowballs and Santa.

I'm honestly shocked :roll: . The media loves to bring up the "Big, bad fans from philly" every chance they get as if we're the only fanbase that's capable of poor behavior.

7 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Yeah, a momentary brain fart means that he can't go to any Patriots games in the future.

I understand that they can somehow put his name on some sort of "no buy" list, but I can't figure out how they could police the entrance ways to prevent some random guy (him) fifteen years from now walking into the stadium with a ticket that someone else purchased for him. There's just now way those temp employees who scan tickets will be keeping their eyes out for a specific face from fifteen years ago (now). 

57 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I understand that they can somehow put his name on some sort of "no buy" list, but I can't figure out how they could police the entrance ways to prevent some random guy (him) fifteen years from now walking into the stadium with a ticket that someone else purchased for him. There's just now way those temp employees who scan tickets will be keeping their eyes out for a specific face from fifteen years ago (now). 

That's why they should slap him with a simple assault charge.... Make him pay a fine and/or attend anger management classes. Or else, like you said, he gets away with no punishment when he finds his way around the "do not sell" list.

15 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

In reality, it's all about the optics. They had to make an example out of him given the national coverage. Is the lifetime ban a bit harsh? probably...

Who knows if they'll even enforce it in 3-5 years time, I highly doubt it. 

Why do players of opposing teams run right up to opposing fans right after a TD, run off at an angle or tryin stopping a little sooner, BFD he got beer tosssed on him... could of been much worse

37 minutes ago, dutchman063 said:

Why do players of opposing teams run right up to opposing fans right after a TD, run off at an angle or tryin stopping a little sooner, BFD he got beer tosssed on him... could of been much worse

He was running full speed, his momentum carried him over there.

On 10/15/2018 at 6:17 PM, MagicMoment said:

What does any of this have to do with the topic of the original post? Completely irrelevant 

A person who was given preferential treatment by the legal system, thru his ‘Athlete privilege’ , wants someone else to pay for doing a tiny fraction of what he did.

just pointing that out

16 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

He was running full speed, his momentum carried him over there.

Like i already said,,, turn when you get into the endzone, dont run straight up into the opposing fans... if you do expect something to happen

On 10/16/2018 at 9:39 AM, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Yeah but worst case scenario, let's say he gets into a game without the Pats permission.  I bet you he won't be causing trouble, because if he gets caught, somebody will realize he is supposed to be banned and he will really be in trouble

I remember the days when booing players would suffice.  Throwing sh--- and giving the finger are just out of control responses to a football game.  Geez, nobody hates the cowpies more than I do, but I would never throw sh-- or give them the finger right in their face......

Imagine the outrage and over the top comments if this happened in philly?

17 hours ago, CountBlah said:

A person who was given preferential treatment by the legal system, thru his ‘Athlete privilege’ , wants someone else to pay for doing a tiny fraction of what he did.

just pointing that out

Exactly - his girlfriend could have used some protection from getting her head slammed against the wall

1 hour ago, dutchman063 said:

Like i already said,,, turn when you get into the endzone, dont run straight up into the opposing fans... if you do expect something to happen

Players shouldn't have to 'expect something to happen'. That's why the idiot is being criminally charged and was banned from the stadium.

6 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Players shouldn't have to 'expect something to happen'. That's why the idiot is being criminally charged and was banned from the stadium.

Yeah because fans are always at their best behavior when an opposing player scores a touchdown right in front of them..  lol

On 10/15/2018 at 8:43 PM, birdman said:

Im confused about bans.  Since when do you need to show ID at the gate when you give them your ticket? 

On 10/15/2018 at 6:17 PM, MagicMoment said:

Is it? (This isn't a rhetorical question. I am wondering if it does make a difference.)

On 10/18/2018 at 8:13 PM, SNOORDA said:

Im confused about bans.  Since when do you need to show ID at the gate when you give them your ticket? 

I can see facial recognition being used in the near future. 

Edited by mihailo
Typo