Sign in to follow this  
Jason1978

Byron Leftwich is the new Cardinals offensive coordinator

If you think things couldn't get worse for Arizona and their offense...it just did. Cardinals just fired Mike McCoy and replaced him with 38 year old QB coach Byron Leftwich, a guy who has been  a NFL coach for 1 year and who has been terrible coaching QB.  I felt bad for Fitzgerald and Johnson before this but feel even worse for them now.  

It’s the Cardinals’ sixth loss in seven games, and first-year head coach Steve Wilks is wasting little time trying to right the ship: NFL Network is reporting that offensive coordinator Mike McCoy has been fired.

Quarterbacks coach Byron Leftwich will be promoted to offensive coordinator and play-caller.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-cardinals-fire-offensive-coordinator-mike-mccoy-byron-leftwich-promoted-152659853.htm

This will be interesting...  McCoy had to go. The offense was atrocious.

I think it gets better. I mean you get the ball to DJ. You don't run him up the middle 100 times to start the season. You run him out wide, you line him out wide as a WR. You get him in space, you get the fricken ball to him in the passing game 5-10 times...

Not to mention he was under Bruce Arians and Arians gave him a vote of confidence before he retired.

Mike McCoy got fired last season too.  How does he keep getting jobs?? :blink:

Good ol' boy network in the NFL, I guess. Coaches get hired to be fired.

1 hour ago, LacesOut said:

Mike McCoy got fired last season too.  How does he keep getting jobs?? :blink:

Good ol' boy network in the NFL, I guess. Coaches get hired to be fired.

Cause he got a decent run out of Tim Tebow...... Piggybacking off of that for how long now? 

4 hours ago, Jason1978 said:

If you think things couldn't get worse for Arizona and their offense...it just did. Cardinals just fired Mike McCoy and replaced him with 38 year old QB coach Byron Leftwich, a guy who has been  a NFL coach for 1 year and who has been terrible coaching QB.  I felt bad for Fitzgerald and Johnson before this but feel even worse for them now.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-cardinals-fire-offensive-coordinator-mike-mccoy-byron-leftwich-promoted-152659853.htm

Supposedly Leftwich is a pretty smart guy, he did get a higher wonderlic score than Stanford alumni Christian McCaffery and Richard Sherman.

Part of me is humored by this, but part of me is very intrigued to see Leftwich as a coach

8 hours ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Part of me is humored by this, but part of me is very intrigued to see Leftwich as a coach

I mean he never was a good or even decent qb. I remember when he lost his starting gig to David Garrard. Perhaps he was a better student than player ?

I'll never forget the image of Leftwich being carried down the field at Marshall, to try to win the game. He suffered, I believe, a broken leg or knee injury, and his offensive linemen took him to the next line of scrimmage. He is incredibly intelligent and seemed like a pretty good dude too. I hope he does well.

9 hours ago, st0nedsk8er said:

I mean he never was a good or even decent qb. I remember when he lost his starting gig to David Garrard. Perhaps he was a better student than player ?

It's definitely possible.

5a785dd22d00004900943c3a.jpeg?cache=duev

3 hours ago, IFB DOG said:

I'll never forget the image of Leftwich being carried down the field at Marshall, to try to win the game. He suffered, I believe, a broken leg or knee injury, and his offensive linemen took him to the next line of scrimmage. He is incredibly intelligent and seemed like a pretty good dude too. I hope he does well.

That's a really good point. He has some leadership qualities.

9 hours ago, st0nedsk8er said:

There is  a reason for the saying : Those that cant do , teach .

Wont matter. That O-Line is the worst in football, and 2nd isnt even close. 

19 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Cause he got a decent run out of Tim Tebow...... Piggybacking off of that for how long now? 

He also turned Delhomme into a pretty good QB 

1 minute ago, Jason1978 said:

He also turned Delhomme into a pretty good QB 

That is true, I didn't go that far back. 

37 minutes ago, zenclaybourne said:

It's definitely possible.

5a785dd22d00004900943c3a.jpeg?cache=duev

That's a really good point. He has some leadership qualities.

He does have leadership qualities but 22 games as a coach, a QB coach who was in charge of the worst position on the Cardinals the past two years and now handed a coordinator job like that? Asking for a lot considering how awful this team is. Leftwich only has a job because Arians told them to stick with him and they did. Arizona is a huge mess. They have a terrible defense. It's hard for any QB to succeed let alone a rookie when your defense allows 26 ppg and the 6th most ypg.  Teams are way too quick to rush rookie QB. Rosen has been terrible, Allen has been terrible, Mayfield has been terrible. Darnold has looked solid in some games, like a rookie in others. Cards have no o-line either. I honestly don't see how Leftwich can fix this especially fixing David Johnson. I have a feeling this entire staff will be out of jobs at the end of the season. 

Cardinals QB with Leftwich as QB coach

Palmer: 9td/7int
Gabbert: 6td/6int, 4 fumbles, 2 lost
Stanton: 6td/5int, 3 fumbles/0 lost
Rosen: 3td/5int, 3 fumbles/2 lost
Bradford: 2td/4int, 3 fumbles/2 lost

8 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

That is true, I didn't go that far back. 

McCoy also took the Chargers to the playoffs in 2013 as their head coach. They went 9-7 and won a playoff game but were eliminated in the divisional round by Denver who would go on to lose the Super Bowl. Chargers have 1 playoff win from 2009-2017 and it was McCoy. He actually has the same number of playoff wins as Andy Reid during that span 😉

This is the risk you take when you draft a QB top 10. You better be willing to lose your job for him because if he struggles, he will be the last one blamed. 

3 hours ago, Jason1978 said:

McCoy also took the Chargers to the playoffs in 2013 as their head coach. They went 9-7 and won a playoff game but were eliminated in the divisional round by Denver who would go on to lose the Super Bowl. Chargers have 1 playoff win from 2009-2017 and it was McCoy. He actually has the same number of playoff wins as Andy Reid during that span 😉

Lol thanks for taking me to school. Good info though

Always liked Leftwich, if it werent for his funky release he might of been ok, hopefully that release doesnt effect his playcalling😉