Sign in to follow this  
mtgiebler

Cowboys just traded for Amari Cooper

Raiders trade Amari Cooper to Cowboys for first-round pick

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 22, 2018, 3:11 PM EDT
gettyimages-10521319602-e1540235494795.j
Getty Images

Another big talent is on the way out in Oakland.

The Raiders are trading wide receiver Amari Cooperto the Cowboys, Josina Anderson of ESPN reports. The Cowboys are reportedly sending a first-round draft pick to Oakland.

Cooper arrived in Oakland as the fourth overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft. He showed a lot of promise his first two seasons, topping 1,000 receiving yards in each of his first two years, but his production has declined significantly since then. The Cowboys, who need help at the receiver position, are hoping Cooper can get back to his old form.

This is the second time the Raiders have traded away a former Top 5 draft pick this year, having previously traded Khalil Mack to the Bears. Raiders coach Jon Gruden hasn’t hidden the fact that he didn’t like the roster he inherited, and he’s getting rid of the players he doesn’t want. The Cowboys will hope Gruden misjudged what Cooper brings to the table.

Dallas has a history of trades like this.

Two number ones (2000 and 2001)  - that's right - two, for Joey Galloway who tore his ACL in the first game he suited up for Dallas.

Later, Dallas trade a #1, 3 and 6 in 2009, plus a 7 in 2010 for Roy Williams.  He had an unremarkable career in Dallas and was released after 40 games.

Have to believe that Amari Cooper will have a similarly undistinguished career in Dallas.

WOW. What if they  go 7-9? This could be the 11th or 12th overall pick for him. At that spot you're assured one of the top 2 WRs, a top Olineman, probably 3rd Dlineman, and a position to trade up for a top 5 quarterback. 

You trade that away to get a guy you'll immediately have to give a 15+M$ a year contract? Is he even a top 5 wr? Just insanity, Oakland stole one.

Cooper seemed like he was putting it together going into the season, but I don't know if it's Carr, Gruden's play-calling or Cooper himself who has caused his value to drop. There is  no way he is worth a first-round pick.

That's crazy.  If the season ended today, the Cowboys would have a top-10 pick.  If they do really well, this is still probably at least a mid first-round pick.  You just traded THAT for Amari Cooper?  Wow.  I guess this means that Jerry thinks that Dallas can win the NFC East?  Crazy overpay.

Also, Gruden is doing is best Chip Kelly impression out in Oakland.  He's completely blown apart that team.  That will set that franchise back quite a ways.  I'm sure Las Vegas is going to LOVE watching that piece of garbage.

Made me think of this

Roy Williams trade is worst in Cowboys history

The Cowboys gave up first- and third-round draft picks to acquire receiver Roy Williams from the Detroit Lions before the 2008 trade deadline. The Cowboys later signed him to a $54 million contract extension.

Williams never fit in with the Cowboys.

He caught just 94 passes for 1,324 yards and 13 touchdowns in 40 games in Dallas before spending last season with the Bears.

It was the worst trade in Cowboys history. Only one other can challenge it.

In 2000, the Cowboys traded two first-round picks to Seattle for wide receiver Joey Galloway. In his first game for the Cowboys, Galloway tore his ACL during a blowout loss and missed the rest of the season.

He would go on to catch 151 passes for 2,341 yards and 12 touchdowns in 48 games as a Cowboy.

Is it a wash?

No.

The Cowboys tried to make it work with Galloway as a deep threat, but it just never developed. He was a talented player, but the Cowboys were on the decline as a franchise and he was caught up in the middle of poor personnel moves.

"I’ve made a lot worse mistakes,” Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said last year about the Williams trade.

No he hasn't.

Williams has decided to retire, which revealed a little something about that trade. He was happy to play for a team in his home state. Williams is from Odessa and went to the University of Texas. His opportunity to play for the Cowboys alongside Terrell Owens opened the possibilities of great things for the Cowboys' offense.

All it did was increase then-offensive coordinator Jason Garrett’s lack of confidence in Williams’ abilities. There were times Williams wasn’t a focal point of the offense, and he was a starter. But when he suffered a rib injury while going over the middle on a pass, Miles Austin took over and caught 10 passes for 250 yards at Kansas City, including the game-winner in overtime that gave him the starting job.

Williams never recovered from a skills standpoint and couldn’t regain the starting job.

The Cowboys have made numerous trades in the franchise’s history, but Williams’ deal strikes as the worst.

What a terrible f'ing trade. Yes, Amari Cooper is going to solve all of our problems....this organization has lost it. Completely lost it.

I'm sad....would've been better off keeping Dez Bryant than wasting a 1st rounder...

1 minute ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

That's crazy.  If the season ended today, the Cowboys would have a top-10 pick.  If they do really well, this is still probably at least a mid first-round pick.  You just traded THAT for Amari Cooper?  Wow.  I guess this means that Jerry thinks that Dallas can win the NFC East?  Crazy overpay.

Also, Gruden is doing is best Chip Kelly impression out in Oakland.  He's completely blown apart that team.  That will set that franchise back quite a ways.  I'm sure Las Vegas is going to LOVE watching that piece of garbage.

Woah. I don't know about that. Gruden getting a 1st round pick, and potentially high one at that, is better than any trade Chip mustered. Chip flat out cut Desean Jackson, who at that point I would say had more promise as an NFL player than Cooper. So while I still think Gruden is going to ruin that team he's at least getting value for his guys. Trading Mack didn't seem very smart, but he got out of paying him a huge contract and getting picks in the process. Therefore, better than Chip.

And on the flipside I think this is a horrible move for the Cowboys. Not because they couldn't use a guy like Cooper, but simply because of the price. Cowboys look destined to be an 8-8 team at best this season and that's with Cooper. They would of been in position to draft a top prospect who brings more than Cooper at this stage.

Don’t love it...i don’t like giving up a 1st, I think at most a 2nd, amd I wouldn’t love that.

the problem is the only receiver that could flourish in Dallas is one like Julio Jones, a guy that is a physical freak and can just out jump and outphysical cb’s...

cooper isn’t that guy....it’s a desperation move...I don’t think Cooper wins them the game yesterday.

5 minutes ago, cowboy30 said:

What a terrible f'ing trade. Yes, Amari Cooper is going to solve all of our problems....this organization has lost it. Completely lost it.

I'm sad....would've been better off keeping Dez Bryant than wasting a 1st rounder...

Lol.

Cooper is going to help the offense, but definitely not worth a 1st rounder given he has no time left on his rookie deal and will cost $$ to keep past this season.

1 minute ago, Stephen1 said:

Don’t love it...i don’t like giving up a 1st, I think at most a 2nd, amd I wouldn’t love that.

the problem is the only receiver that could flourish in Dallas is one like Julio Jones, a guy that is a physical freak and can just out jump and outphysical cb’s...

cooper isn’t that guy.

A move like this is a win now type message. But Cowboys problems are more than a WR away from winning now. Also Cooper isn't good enough to transform a team into a win now mode either so there's that.

I was hoping that the Eagles would make a move on Cooper assuming Gruden was willing to let him go. Seeing as the asking was a 1st I'm glad they did nothing. Was thinking the most I'd do was trade a 2nd while getting back like a 3rd.

11 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

I actually like what gruden has done. At first it seemed like Khalil Mack was a huge difference maker in Chicago and the bears defense was going to be top 5. But they have gotten absolutely slaughtered the past two games and Mack hasn't been much a factor. Now Chicago is paying him big money and are going to struggle filling more holes. Meanwhile Oakland got two first rounders and some change for him and another 1st for a guy who drops almost everything. Those picks could be mid to high picks as well. Chip Kelly just cut Jackson, let maclin walk, and traded McCoy for some scrubs and then traded our super bowl mvp and a 2nd for Sammy sleeves

14 minutes ago, Northern Green Wings said:

Lol.

Cooper is going to help the offense, but definitely not worth a 1st rounder given he has no time left on his rookie deal and will cost $$ to keep past this season.

A move like this is a win now type message. But Cowboys problems are more than a WR away from winning now. Also Cooper isn't good enough to transform a team into a win now mode either so there's that.

I was hoping that the Eagles would make a move on Cooper assuming Gruden was willing to let him go. Seeing as the asking was a 1st I'm glad they did nothing. Was thinking the most I'd do was trade a 2nd while getting back like a 3rd.

Agreed..a 3rd I would have really been pleased with....