Sign in to follow this  
pencil face

Giants in rebuild mode

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, pencil face said:

With Snacks gone, Eli Apple yesterday, more will follow, 1-15 season here we come....

In todays NFL you can rebuild very quickly, get the #1 overall pick next year, get your QB, grab someone on the OL in round 2, you are stacked at WR and RB....not sure what the Giants cap situation is...but add a couple FA's....they could be back in it in 1-2 seasons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Stephen1 said:

In todays NFL you can rebuild very quickly, get the #1 overall pick next year, get your QB, grab someone on the OL in round 2, you are stacked at WR and RB....not sure what the Giants cap situation is...but add a couple FA's....they could be back in it in 1-2 seasons

Yup, this ain't baseball where unless you have a top 5 payroll it takes 5-8 years to rebuild.  NFL is a 2-3 year rebuild league and any small market team can do it.  that said, I am again happy the Giants didn't start 2 years ago as they should have.  As a matter of fact, IMHO, the Giants should have started the rebuild after 2015.  Instead they invested $100m in a quick fix defense that got them 1 playoff appearance and 3 more years of watching Eli turn to rust like the Tin Man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stephen1 said:

In todays NFL you can rebuild very quickly, get the #1 overall pick next year, get your QB, grab someone on the OL in round 2, you are stacked at WR and RB....not sure what the Giants cap situation is...but add a couple FA's....they could be back in it in 1-2 seasons

The big key is hitting on a QB. Without that it makes the rebuild that much harder.

That is why they should have took one instead of Barkley. Darnold could have sat on the bench for the year, learned from Eli and they would have probably been in a much better situation regardless of how good Barkley is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

The big key is hitting on a QB. Without that it makes the rebuild that much harder.

That is why they should have took one instead of Barkley. Darnold could have sat on the bench for the year, learned from Eli and they would have probably been in a much better situation regardless of how good Barkley is.

 I don't see Darnold as being some can't miss guy, he could turn out to be good, but 3-4 of those guys come out every year. Not true of Barkley. If the coaching staff looked at Darnold and weren't 100% sold on him being a franchise QB, they did the right thing....I mean unless Darnold turns out to be legit....

I never liked Darnold, 'd probably take Barkley and next years Sam Darnold over Darnold and whatever's there in the top 5 next year. If they can add a couple O lineman in the draft and FA next year whatever rookie QB they get is walking into a hell of a situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So who's the star QB coming in to the draft next year then? And is he someone people think can a really really good nfl QB? 

eh, the only kid I see is that that Justin Herbert kid from Oregon...6'6, 225, seems to have all the tools physically....but I bet you a couple other teams will talk themselves into 1-2 other guys in the top 10.

2020 looks to have a good class, headlined by the kid from Alabama Tua T...whatever and the kid from Georgia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So who's the star QB coming in to the draft next year then? And is he someone people think can a really really good nfl QB? 

Right now I'd be happy with a rebuilt OL, the weapons we currently have on the roster and a QB that's slightly above average. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seeing speculation that the Giants traded Snacks to clear cap space for a Derek Carr trade...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stephen1 said:

seeing speculation that the Giants traded Snacks to clear cap space for a Derek Carr trade...

Interesting. It will cost at least a 1st + more for Carr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was saying it earlier in this forum that the Giants would probably suck at look at a top pick this year again, which they could use to get a QB. Only team competing with them for a top pick that would also go QB looks to be the Raiders as Gruden doesn't seem set on Carr at all. The key now for them of course will be able to build a QB and offensive line quick enough while Barkley and Beckham are still top players in this league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Northern Green Wings said:

I was saying it earlier in this forum that the Giants would probably suck at look at a top pick this year again, which they could use to get a QB. Only team competing with them for a top pick that would also go QB looks to be the Raiders as Gruden doesn't seem set on Carr at all. The key now for them of course will be able to build a QB and offensive line quick enough while Barkley and Beckham are still top players in this league.

yeah...I mean OBJ is 25, and he's the oldest of their receivers...Barkley is what...21? If they add Carr they could probably retool the OL in a season or two tops. I wonder what Carr would fetch...has to be two #1's, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stephen1 said:

In todays NFL you can rebuild very quickly, get the #1 overall pick next year, get your QB, grab someone on the OL in round 2, you are stacked at WR and RB....not sure what the Giants cap situation is...but add a couple FA's....they could be back in it in 1-2 seasons

Agree, but...

2 hours ago, Pallidrone said:

The big key is hitting on a QB. Without that it makes the rebuild that much harder.

That is why they should have took one instead of Barkley. Darnold could have sat on the bench for the year, learned from Eli and they would have probably been in a much better situation regardless of how good Barkley is.

Agree on that as well.  I don't follow college, are there any projected top QB prospects?  Or do they rebuild other positions and take a QB in other rounds like Dallas, Seattle and other teams have done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BKLYNYG said:

Right now I'd be happy with a rebuilt OL, the weapons we currently have on the roster and a QB that's slightly above average. 

Hmm... Hard to win a SB that way though? Says the Eagles fan who's team pretty much did that last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Agree, but...

Agree on that as well.  I don't follow college, are there any projected top QB prospects?  Or do they rebuild other positions and take a QB in other rounds like Dallas, Seattle and other teams have done?

in our defense we'd have taken Carson if you **** hadn't  swooped in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NOTW said:

Agree on that as well.  I don't follow college, are there any projected top QB prospects?  Or do they rebuild other positions and take a QB in other rounds like Dallas, Seattle and other teams have done?

Right now there really is only one QB that maybe good, but who really knows in late October. A lot of things can change over the course of a season. Teddy Bridgewater, Geno Smith and Matt Barkley were all projected to go #1 overall at around this same point. At this point Carson Wentz really wasnt known.

It is also really hard to find a QB in later rounds as well. Seattle did well with Russell Wilson and Dak is still unknown at this point (I really dont think he is that good, but it is hard for me to honestly evaluate a Cowboy) and other then TB in round 6, who really was great in the later rounds in recent drafts?

I am a believer that if you dont have a QB and you have a chance to get one high in the 1st round, you get that guy. You may miss out on him, but chances are higher at finding a good QB there then at any other point in the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Stephen1 said:

yeah...I mean OBJ is 25, and he's the oldest of their receivers...Barkley is what...21? If they add Carr they could probably retool the OL in a season or two tops. I wonder what Carr would fetch...has to be two #1's, right?

Whoops I had a typo in there, meant to say they will suck so bad it's possible they are picking ahead of the Raiders and can draft their young QB of the future.

But if Cooper was traded for a 1st rounder, Carr will most definitely demand at least a first rounder. I don't think the Giants would swing that deal though considering their 1st rounder may be the 1st overall.

Which is also why I found it surprising the Cowboys dealt their 1st rounder as it's highly likely a top 15 possible top 10 pick. That or maybe we don't give Gruden and his negotiating tactics enough credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Northern Green Wings said:

Whoops I had a typo in there, meant to say they will suck so bad it's possible they are picking ahead of the Raiders and can draft their young QB of the future.

But if Cooper was traded for a 1st rounder, Carr will most definitely demand at least a first rounder. I don't think the Giants would swing that deal though considering their 1st rounder may be the 1st overall.

Which is also why I found it surprising the Cowboys dealt their 1st rounder as it's highly likely a top 15 possible top 10 pick. That or maybe we don't give Gruden and his negotiating tactics enough credit.

Would it matter if they believed that Carr could win them some games next year?

If they draft a QB next year with the thought of starting him, that year is basically shot. However if you bring in a Carr who has proven himself to be able to play in the NFL and has an entire off season the get the game plan and practice with his team mates, that would be worth a 1st rounder right there.

From an Eagles fan perspective, I hope they dont trade for him and that they start winning some games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Stephen1 said:

in our defense we'd have taken Carson if you **** hadn't  swooped in

:smoke:

Sure.  Just saying strictly 1st round vs later rounds.  If there's not a 1st round QB worth taking in the top 3 or 4 picks, do they take BPA and then get a QB in another round or is there a prospect worth it that high?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is bad (for the rest of the NFC East). Honestly, I never thought the Giants would have a top 10 pick in 2019. Pairing the right young QB with Barkley makes for an interesting decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

Right now there really is only one QB that maybe good, but who really knows in late October. A lot of things can change over the course of a season. Teddy Bridgewater, Geno Smith and Matt Barkley were all projected to go #1 overall at around this same point. At this point Carson Wentz really wasnt known.

It is also really hard to find a QB in later rounds as well. Seattle did well with Russell Wilson and Dak is still unknown at this point (I really dont think he is that good, but it is hard for me to honestly evaluate a Cowboy) and other then TB in round 6, who really was great in the later rounds in recent drafts?

I am a believer that if you dont have a QB and you have a chance to get one high in the 1st round, you get that guy. You may miss out on him, but chances are higher at finding a good QB there then at any other point in the draft.

All good points.  It's tough for teams because if you miss on that high pick you feel like you wasted it and could have got a potentially great player at another position and then you're kicking yourself in hindsight over that OT, DE, etc. you could have had.

Foles, Cousins are 2 other QBs taken in later rounds, there are probably others.  True, it's the exception.  Just saying if there's not a clear top QB worth taking in the top 4 picks but there is talent to be had at QB in later rounds maybe they do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pallidrone said:

Would it matter if they believed that Carr could win them some games next year?

If they draft a QB next year with the thought of starting him, that year is basically shot. However if you bring in a Carr who has proven himself to be able to play in the NFL and has an entire off season the get the game plan and practice with his team mates, that would be worth a 1st rounder right there.

From an Eagles fan perspective, I hope they dont trade for him and that they start winning some games. 

Judging by recent history of teams trading up to the top 3~ draft slots, a 1st overall pick has unbelievable value. More so than what Carr brings, IMO. I think they could take that pick, trade it back, re-coup some, and then still swing a deal for Carr if they so choose.

And from an Eagles fan perspective, I hope they do trade for him and continue to lose games lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this