Leonard's Memory Lane

1979 Rams 9-7 but were in the Super Bowl Part 2

NFC Championship Game  Los Angeles at Tampa Bay.

After defeating Dallas, the Rams had a rematch with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  Both games were at Tampa and were defensive struggles.  Both teams took opposite paths to arrive one game short of the Super Bowl.  Already mentioned was the late surge that brought Los Angeles from 5-6 to 9-7.

After 12 weeks the Buccaneers were 9-3.  Among the victories was a 21 to 6 effort over the Los Angeles Rams.  Jim Youngblood returned an interception for an early touchdown for LA.  That was it for the Rams even missing an extra point.  For Tampa Bay, Doug Williams threw two touchdown passes and Ricky Bell ran for another.  The Bucs gained 249 yards to just 186 yards to the Rams.

Tampa then lost three straight games including a 14 to 0 loss to the Chicago Bears.   They won the last game 3 to 0 to the Kansas City Chiefs to qualify for the playoffs with a 10-6 record.

The NFC Title Game at Tampa Bay. Kicking three field goals,  Los Angeles shut out the Buccaneers 9 to 0.  LA gained 369 yards to just 177 yards for Tampa Bay.

In the Super Bowl at Pasadena, CA, the Pittsburgh Steelers defeated the Rams 31 to 19.  The lead changed seven times before the Steelers pulled away with two touchdowns in the last seven minutes.  Nevertheless, the Rams made a remarkable comeback from being 5-6 during the season.

Really interesting stuff.

I feel like we are going to easily be a 5-6 team after 11. The only question is, can we even make it to 9-7? If we do, we will likely be competing for the East.

If we find ourselves in the position, the team may find new life. 

But there's a lot of ifs between now and then.

Sweep the Cowboys and the Redskins. Beat the Giants again. Kill Jacksonville on Sunday

That's 9 wins

If you can get 1 or 2 wins out of New Orleans, LA, or Houston that would be gravy.

The Giants won a pair of Super Bowls with 9 and 10 win seasons.

That was the year Jack Youngblood played with a broken fibula - even in the Pro Bowl!

The Rams very nearly beat Pittsburgh. They led 19-17 after three quarters. They picked off Bradshaw three times, and very nearly had a fourth that could have been returned for a TD, I believe by Dave Elmendorf.  Wendell Tyler busted a 39 yard run from deep in Rams' territory.

That was also the game that pretty much did in the broadcast team of Tom Brookshire and Pat Summerall, who both seemed hung over.

PS: This post is off the top of my head and hopefully my recollections are correct. Sure, I could Google it, but it's more fun to dig into the old memory banks and see if the memories are accurate.

Giants won the SB one year with a 9-7 team.    Eagles missed the playoffs with a 10-6 team in 1991.

6 hours ago, Procus said:

Giants won the SB one year with a 9-7 team.    Eagles missed the playoffs with a 10-6 team in 1991.

The Eagles missed the playoffs with a 10-6 team in 2014 as well.

On 10/25/2018 at 11:57 PM, skippyx said:

Sweep the Cowboys and the Redskins. Beat the Giants again. Kill Jacksonville on Sunday

That's 9 wins

If you can get 1 or 2 wins out of New Orleans, LA, or Houston that would be gravy.

The Giants won a pair of Super Bowls with 9 and 10 win seasons.

Houston is a very winnable game.  The Texans yes have won five straight but are not really that good (they gave the Giants their only win so far). 

6 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Houston is a very winnable game.  The Texans yes have won five straight but are not really that good (they gave the Giants their only win so far). 

Hopkins could have 200 yards and 3 TDs against Schwartz

On 10/25/2018 at 1:04 PM, madriver said:

Really interesting stuff.

I feel like we are going to easily be a 5-6 team after 11. The only question is, can we even make it to 9-7? If we do, we will likely be competing for the East.

If we find ourselves in the position, the team may find new life. 

But there's a lot of ifs between now and then.

Many thanks for reading my post.