Happyfoosball

It's time for the Giants to make the Eli to Jacksonville trade happen

47 minutes ago, Gmen4ever said:

But why would they trade one bad QB for another? It makes no sense whatsoever, especially if you're Eli Manning. Why uproot your family for what is definitely going to be a very temporary situation? No one in their right mind is going to do that

Precisely. Makes no sense. No real benefit. 

On 10/26/2018 at 1:04 PM, BKLYNYG said:

I'm with Vince on this one. No way Eli waives his no trade to go to friggin Jacksonville. 

Also, why would the Giants take on Bortles' contract when they can just cut Eli and save $17M next year? If they cut Bortles they only save $4.5M. 

Just move on from Eli, draft or trade for a young guy and go from there. No need to take on someone else's problem....unless a high round pick comes with it. 

The idea would be they would get a late round pick for him.  Then you just cut Bortles and take the cap hit.  You don't actually play him. The cap hit isn't giong to hurt a rebuilding team.

7 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

… is if the Jags threw in a very high pick.  

The NFL frowns on drug use, if he was very high, he'd fail the drug test and end up getting suspended.

4 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

But why would they trade one bad QB for another? It makes no sense whatsoever, especially if you're Eli Manning. Why uproot your family for what is definitely going to be a very temporary situation? No one in their right mind is going to do that

To get Eli off the roster.  To eliminate the emotional reaction from fans when he is eventually benched late in the year for a rookie just so we can see what that rookie can do.  It makes all that crap go away, then we can start Kyle the second half of the season and get to 1-15.  Get that #1 pick and if Ktyle shows us nothing we can use it on another QB.  That's what the Giants get out of it.  The Jags get a change at QB for the rest of the year and if Eli can't produce they can cut him for 1/10th the cap penalty they would pay cutting Bortles next year.

8 minutes ago, Happyfoosball said:

To get Eli off the roster.  To eliminate the emotional reaction from fans when he is eventually benched late in the year for a rookie just so we can see what that rookie can do.  It makes all that crap go away, then we can start Kyle the second half of the season and get to 1-15.  Get that #1 pick and if Ktyle shows us nothing we can use it on another QB.  That's what the Giants get out of it.  The Jags get a change at QB for the rest of the year and if Eli can't produce they can cut him for 1/10th the cap penalty they would pay cutting Bortles next year.

The same emotional reaction will just happen when he is traded. You gain nothing 

10 minutes ago, Happyfoosball said:

Manning was asked if he’ll waive his full no-trade clause, and he had this to say to reporters: "No. I want to stay here,” Manning said.

https://thesportsdaily.com/2018/10/28/eli-manning-addresses-trade-giants-jaguars-rumors/

10 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

Manning was asked if he’ll waive his full no-trade clause, and he had this to say to reporters: "No. I want to stay here,” Manning said.

https://thesportsdaily.com/2018/10/28/eli-manning-addresses-trade-giants-jaguars-rumors/

Well then he best not complain when he sits at least a few games the second half of the season so we can see what this rookie is worth before the team moves on.  This team is done.  And unlike a lot of people, I don't blame Eli.  I think Eli deserves some of the blame, but so does the OL, in fact they deserve most of it probably followed by the inconsistent under performing high round d raft picks we have had the past several seasons.  Engram's drop on 4th and 3 was unacceptable and the fact that we have no pass rush isn't helping either.  This is just a really bad team so it is time to start over. 

1 hour ago, Happyfoosball said:

Well then he best not complain when he sits at least a few games the second half of the season so we can see what this rookie is worth before the team moves on.  This team is done.  And unlike a lot of people, I don't blame Eli.  I think Eli deserves some of the blame, but so does the OL, in fact they deserve most of it probably followed by the inconsistent under performing high round d raft picks we have had the past several seasons.  Engram's drop on 4th and 3 was unacceptable and the fact that we have no pass rush isn't helping either.  This is just a really bad team so it is time to start over. 

I think the blame is 40% OL, 40% Eli and 20% GM/Coaching (i.e., non players).

The OL is bad, but my god does Eli make them look even worse. I watched football all day yesterday and you know what happened? QBs got pressured. Most of them are able to avoid a would be tackler on occasion, step up on the pocket or, GASP, run for a few yards. Eli goes down like a sack of potatoes as soon as there's pressure. 

The defense doesn't have the best numbers, but damn, how long are they expected to hold up when the offense is going three and out all game? 

2 hours ago, Happyfoosball said:

He doesn’t deserve all of the blame, but like Brook said, 40% is definitely a fair number. He’s making an already bad situation even worse by constantly going down instead of standing in there to try to make something happen. His OL is garbage, no doubt, but he’s making them look even worse, which makes him a big part of the problem 

How would a bad QB replacing a bad QB make a team better? Eli is a bit more accurate but Bortles has 27 more total td the past four years and their numbers have been a mirror image in turnovers the past few years. I believe they have been 1 and 2 in total turnovers since 2015. 

2015-2018

Eli Manning: 78td, 49int, 1 rushing td, 31 fumbles/15 lost (21-34 team record)

Blake Bortles: 90td, 55int, 8 rushing td, 35 fumbles/16 lost (21-35 team record)

2018 numbers

Manning: 8td/6int, 4 fumbles/2 lost (1-7 team record)

Bortles: 10td/8int, 1 rushing td, 5 fumbles/3 lost (3-5 team record)

On 10/26/2018 at 1:04 PM, BKLYNYG said:

I'm with Vince on this one. No way Eli waives his no trade to go to friggin Jacksonville. 

Also, why would the Giants take on Bortles' contract when they can just cut Eli and save $17M next year? If they cut Bortles they only save $4.5M. 

Just move on from Eli, draft or trade for a young guy and go from there. No need to take on someone else's problem....unless a high round pick comes with it. 

Bortles can be the most expensive backup next year if the Giants traded Eli to Jacksonville for HIM and likely a higher pick to take on Bortles's contract (maybe a 2020 2nd) while the Giants would have the rest of this season and all of next to see what Kyle Lauletta has while possibly trading down this year's high pick to get more picks to bolster the OL and DL. 

2 hours ago, Jason1978 said:

How would a bad QB replacing a bad QB make a team better? Eli is a bit more accurate but Bortles has 27 more total td the past four years and their numbers have been a mirror image in turnovers the past few years. I believe they have been 1 and 2 in total turnovers since 2015. 

2015-2018

Eli Manning: 78td, 49int, 1 rushing td, 31 fumbles/15 lost (21-34 team record)

Blake Bortles: 90td, 55int, 8 rushing td, 35 fumbles/16 lost (21-35 team record)

2018 numbers

Manning: 8td/6int, 4 fumbles/2 lost (1-7 team record)

Bortles: 10td/8int, 1 rushing td, 5 fumbles/3 lost (3-5 team record)

Eli is still a much better QB than Bortles.  Jags were forced to sign him due to an injury he sustained, otherwise, I suspect Nick Foles would have wound up in Jacksonville.