Wallyhorse

Hue Jackson FIRED by The Browns

Two Cleveland Head Coaches fired in two days (Tyronne Liu was fired Sunday by the Cavaliers):

I wonder if this means Lincoln Riley's days at Oklahoma are numbered (Riley was Baker Mayfield's HC at OU last year).  Riley's already been rumored to be a serious candidate to be a head coach next season in the NFL. 

The Browns just made two good decisions today... Imagine that.

Never liked Hue as a coach, too mild tempered which needless to say clashes with Mayfield's personality. I think if you're going to have Mayfield as the starter, you need the culture of the team to reflect his.

And Todd Haley just sucks.

29 minutes ago, wayne said:

Never liked Hue as a coach, too mild tempered which needless to say clashes with Mayfield's personality. I think if you're going to have Mayfield as the starter, you need the culture of the team to reflect his.

Agree. I laughed at the people before the season saying the Browns could be a .500 team, and then again during the first few weeks saying this team was headed in the right direction, could win the division, some morons saying Haley was a offensive genius, would be the HC when Hue was fired. This is a franchise just never gets it. Baker is now included in a list of young QB rushed out there way too fast on terrible teams and do not be shocked if 2-3 years from now the Browns are looking for yet another QB. I feel so bad for their fanbase. Such loyal fans but the worst run professional football team ever and zero signs of anything improving

1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

Two Cleveland Head Coaches fired in two days (Tyronne Liu was fired Sunday by the Cavaliers):

I wonder if this means Lincoln Riley's days at Oklahoma are numbers (Riley was Baker Mayfield's HC at OU last year).  Riley's already been rumored to be a serious candidate to be a head coach next season in the NFL. 

Does it matter? This Is still the worst run franchise in the NFL. Consider that Carlos Hyde was their leading rusher, they actually had the most rushing yards at one point...and they trade him. Look how many years they gave Josh Gordon 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th chances. Teams at one point were offering first rd picks for him but the Browns said no 

1 minute ago, zenclaybourne said:

Gregg Williams is the interim coach per NFL.com

That won't, or shouldn't, last going into 2019. Williams' tenure as the Bills HC was awful (13-31) in 3 years. The Browns should go the route of the Rams and get some new blood in there. Not retread coordinators.

Damn when was the last time a head coach was fired this early in a season? Not that I think Hue deserved a job, but I think it would of been better for him to finish out the season and then clean house properly. Now watch them win a couple games and like having Gregg Williams as their future HC. That would be going way backwards.

5 minutes ago, zenclaybourne said:

Gregg Williams is the interim coach per NFL.com

Bountygate Gregg has the defense improved but he is a terrible head coach

RB coach Freddie Kitchens btw is their new offensive coordinator 

3 minutes ago, Northern Green Wings said:

Damn when was the last time a head coach was fired this early in a season? Not that I think Hue deserved a job, but I think it would of been better for him to finish out the season and then clean house properly. Now watch them win a couple games and like having Gregg Williams as their future HC. That would be going way backwards.

We are heading into week 9 not really early in the season. Plenty of coaches have been canned quicker than this in the season. Most recently in 2015 Joe Phlibin was fired after four games and Ken Whisenhunt after eight games. In 2014 Dennis Allen was fired after four games. 

Just now, Jason1978 said:

We are heading into week 9 not really early in the season. Plenty of coaches have been canned quicker than this in the season. Most recently in 2015 Joe Phlibin was fired after four games and Ken Whisenhunt after eight games. In 2014 Dennis Allen was fired after four games. 

Feels early I suppose, thanks for the quick history lesson. I guess I never understood firing a head coach when there's still half a season left to play. Now the Browns who were already a mess become a bigger mess. Will be tough for them to evaluate who is going to make the team next season or not, and it definitely stunts the growth of Mayfield. They should of canned Jackson before the start of off-season and hunt for a new head coach. They could of sold them with the number 1 overall pick and a ton of other high picks along with salary to sign players.

This is just them being the Browns.

1 hour ago, Jason1978 said:

Does it matter? This Is still the worst run franchise in the NFL. Consider that Carlos Hyde was their leading rusher, they actually had the most rushing yards at one point...and they trade him. Look how many years they gave Josh Gordon 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th chances. Teams at one point were offering first rd picks for him but the Browns said no 

That was on the owner, who I think is going to learn to step back.  John Dorsey (who brought Andy to KC after Lurie fired him) is now going to be able to run the Browns as he sees fit without interference from Jimmy Haslin, who asked that Hue be kept.

This is much more Dorsey's team and Dorsey has a track record in KC.  Lincoln Riley could be the next Sean McVey (he's only 34) and as noted was Mayfield's HC at Oklahoma.  I suspect Riley will be contacted by the Browns soon since they would not have to wait until after the season to bring him in. 

1 hour ago, Jason1978 said:

Agree. I laughed at the people before the season saying the Browns could be a .500 team, and then again during the first few weeks saying this team was headed in the right direction, could win the division, some morons saying Haley was a offensive genius, would be the HC when Hue was fired. This is a franchise just never gets it. Baker is now included in a list of young QB rushed out there way too fast on terrible teams and do not be shocked if 2-3 years from now the Browns are looking for yet another QB. I feel so bad for their fanbase. Such loyal fans but the worst run professional football team ever and zero signs of anything improving

Well they have some legitimate talent on the team now they just need to get a head coach who has half a brain - which seems to be a struggle for them. But yeah, the midseason firing and personnel changes have been a large part of the reason why they can never develop a QB. Hopefully for them the firing will bring a bit of a culture change. I believe Rapaport said after the firing that Baker wasn't a fan of Hue to begin with.

20 minutes ago, wayne said:

Well they have some legitimate talent on the team now they just need to get a head coach who has half a brain - which seems to be a struggle for them. But yeah, the midseason firing and personnel changes have been a large part of the reason why they can never develop a QB. Hopefully for them the firing will bring a bit of a culture change. I believe Rapaport said after the firing that Baker wasn't a fan of Hue to begin with.

I think they want Lincoln Riley and are waiting until Oklahoma's regular season ends (most likely with the Big XII Championship Game Dec. 1) to go after him.  They could actually hire him before this season ends and he could actually take over for the last 3-4 games of THIS season. 

5 minutes ago, boogyman said:

Completely unfair to fire him while in the middle of his most successful season as a head coach IMO

He was 8-8 with the Raiders.

The Browns problem is the quit on QBs and Staff way too fast . They dont seem to have patience to let a player develop before getting rid of of him or completely destroying him. Hue was a bad choice for HC adding Haley has OC even worse combo.... BUT they finally got their guy this year  in Mayfield. They should of waited until they knew they could get right replacement first .  Is next HC gonna want Mayfield ?  Will that be another destroyed QB by Browns ?   They wont do much better this year .... would of been smart half way through just to see it out 

44 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

I think they want Lincoln Riley and are waiting until Oklahoma's regular season ends (most likely with the Big XII Championship Game Dec. 1) to go after him.  They could actually hire him before this season ends and he could actually take over for the last 3-4 games of THIS season. 

He was 8-8 with the Raiders.

Obviously I meant as the Browns head coach

They fired Hue before he even had a chance to make a difference. 

OC Haley is gone too. 

4 hours ago, wayne said:

That is because the Browns finally have a competent higher-up staff.  John Dorsey is who brought Andy to KC after Lurie fired him here.

1 hour ago, NE.Jon said:

The Browns problem is the quit on QBs and Staff way too fast . They dont seem to have patience to let a player develop before getting rid of of him or completely destroying him. Hue was a bad choice for HC adding Haley has OC even worse combo.... BUT they finally got their guy this year  in Mayfield. They should of waited until they knew they could get right replacement first .  Is next HC gonna want Mayfield ?  Will that be another destroyed QB by Browns ?   They wont do much better this year .... would of been smart half way through just to see it out 

Yup. Notice all the perennially crappy teams - BUF, CLE, OAK, WAS they all change coaches and schemes every 2-4 years. I live in the Buffalo market and I've watched them change from 4-3 Schwartz (which was successful) to 3-4 Ryan then back to 4-3 McDermott since 2014. So needless to say most of the players that the previous admin drafted became useless and were released or just performed horribly. The good franchises on the other hand may lose or fire coaches but they tend to hire successors that are consistent with the same philosophy so as not to completely waste draft and free agent talent every couple of years.

2 hours ago, boogyman said:

Completely unfair to fire him while in the middle of his most successful season as a head coach IMO

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Either way, thanks for giving me a good laugh lol :lol: 

9 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

That is because the Browns finally have a competent higher-up staff.  John Dorsey is who brought Andy to KC after Lurie fired him here.

Yeah he helped build that offensive freakshow that they have in KC. He was responsible for drafting Kelce and Hill I believe.