Sign in to follow this  
madriver

McCarthy Fired

So the question is: when Wentz gets his payday like Rodgers did and the team continues to lag offensively, could Doug be looking at a similar fate?

Just saw an interesting piece on ESPN about how stale the WC offense has become and how Reid, Nagy, Reich and others have evolved but old WC guys like McCarthy haven't.

Made me wonder if Doug minus Reich falls into that category or does he just need healthy players?

McCarthy is just the third Super Bowl winning coach in the last 20 years to be fired (or 4th, depending on what you think of Coughlin and NYG's "mutual" parting).  You have to put together a pretty remarkable run of suckitude after a Super Bowl win to get yourself fired, I think.  

4 minutes ago, 55thAndRams said:

McCarthy is just the third Super Bowl winning coach in the last 20 years to be fired (or 4th, depending on what you think of Coughlin and NYG's "mutual" parting).  You have to put together a pretty remarkable run of suckitude after a Super Bowl win to get yourself fired, I think.  

Could be another one with Ravens HC. Although that's depending on the mutual parting as well

So does the packers board of directors vote on this or how does it work the them?

36 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

So does the packers board of directors vote on this or how does it work the them?

I heard that it goes like this: Owner, GM, then QB is told, then coach is told (if you have a franchise QB).

Not a surprise. The only surprise to me was that they didn't wait until tomorrow to announce it.  They basically fired him when the clock hit :00.

10 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

That GM in GB hasn't put much of a roster together either.  

This 100 times.  I always thought Mccarthy was overrated, but they simply aren't a good roster and haven't been for a while.  This offseason they said they would be more aggressive in FA and they really weren't by much. 

10 hours ago, 55thAndRams said:

His record with The Pack is:  125 - 77 - 2  =  .6176 winning % over 13 seasons.

That's a pretty good NFL record by any standard I'm aware of. According to the 

NFL.com article he, 'Lost The Offense' and was wasting Rodgers' last good years.

Really tough racket to be a part of. Results oriented, no excuses and oh-by-the-way:

What Have Ya Done For Me Lately??  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000995203/article/packers-fire-coach-mike-mccarthy-after-13-seasons

2 minutes ago, McNabbIsGone said:

But I think most would agree that the Packers have failed to capitalise on having such a great QB under center? 

Packers are a perfect example for the eagles to not follow. They have a star QB, good WRs, spotty oline play, and sheety RBs with almost no run game to speak of. Don't go that route Howie, build the Oline and RBs, get a creative OC to make the WRs better. 

McCarthy's post-game comments after the loss yesterday. LINK

"I mean, I’ve never been in this spot,” McCarthy said. "I’m not going to act like I know what the hell I’m going to do tomorrow when they get in here..."

He's clueless. Even when the Packers were winning, all he had to do was keep the pieces together, (easier said than done, yet...) He's a manager, not a coach. They need to find someone that can make the Packers relevant again.

4 hours ago, McNabbIsGone said:

That's a pretty good NFL record by any standard I'm aware of. According to the 

NFL.com article he, 'Lost The Offense' and was wasting Rodgers' last good years.

Really tough racket to be a part of. Results oriented, no excuses and oh-by-the-way:

What Have Ya Done For Me Lately??  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000995203/article/packers-fire-coach-mike-mccarthy-after-13-seasons

I think that was more of Rodgers than him though. How many times have we seen the pocket break down and Rodgers scrambling only to do another one of those 'how the hell did he do that'?

20 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

I think that was more of Rodgers than him though. How many times have we seen the pocket break down and Rodgers scrambling only to do another one of those 'how the hell did he do that'?

Here's some more info to 'flesh out' the story:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000995601/article/mike-mccarthy-era-ends-in-green-bay-during-thirteenth-season

12 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

This 100 times.  I always thought Mccarthy was overrated, but they simply aren't a good roster and haven't been for a while.  This offseason they said they would be more aggressive in FA and they really weren't by much. 

Rodgers has carried the team pretty much his entire 11 seasons as their starter.  This year he is doing it again. 6th ranked pass offense, 4th in pass attempts (a remarkable 1 int). WR banged up. Jones finally emerged as their starter but rush offense ranks 21st. Defense is 17th.  Hard to truly blame McCarthy either. He is Andy with a ring. Won a lot of games, went to four NFC title games (3 w/ Rodgers, 1 w/ Favre) but the last two years they fell apart but Rodgers also hasn't been 100 % either, missed half the season last year, playing hurt this year. Including this year, McCarthy has had a losing season just three times in 13 years. 

Passing, rushing, defense ranks plus w/l record w/ Rodgers

2018 (4-7-1):
6th, 21st, 17th

2017 (4-3):
25th, 17th, 26th

2016 (10-6, lost NFC Championship): 
7th, 20th, 21st

2015 (10-6, lost Divisional Rd): 
10th, 13th, 12th

2014 (12-4, lost NFC Championship): 
8th, 12th, 14th

2013 (6-3, lost Wild Card): 
6th, 7th, 25th

2012 (11-5, lost Divisional Rd):
9th, 20th, 11th

2011 (14-1, lost Divisional Rd): 
3rd, 27th, 19th

2010 (10-5, Won Super Bowl):
5th, 24th, 2nd

2009 (11-5, lost Wild Card):
7th, 14th, 7th

2008 (6-10):
8th, 17th, 22nd

11 seasons w/ Rodgers as their starter

10 top ten passing offenses
1 top ten rushing offense
3 top ten defenses

59 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

Remember Rodgers has played hurt all year. He hasn't had a run game most of the year. His WR have been banged up all year. Rodgers is 4th in pass attempts...has only ONE interception...which is pretty remarkable. People claim he is selfish...he went public a few weeks ago saying Aaron Jones needed the ball more...and he was 100% right. Yesterday is proof. Close game and Rodgers throws 50 times, Jones carries it just 11 times. They resemble the Eagles. Wentz has carried the offense, throws too much, we don't run enough and the team is losing close games just like GB. 

Packers losses/tie...five games decided by 8 or less points

Vs Cardinals: 50 pass, 18 rush, lost 20-17
Vs Vikings: 38 pass, 17 rush, lost 24-17
Vs Seahawks: 30 pass, 12 rush, lost 27-24
Vs Patriots: 43 pass, 21 rush, lost 31-17
Vs Rams: 30 pass, 16 rush, lost 29-27
Vs Lions: 52 pass, 17 rush, lost 31-23
Vs Vikings: 42 pass, 21 rush, tied 29-29
Vs Redskins: 44 pass, 9 rush, lost 31-17

329 pass attempts
131 rush attempts

Last year when Rodgers went down the rest of the Packers roster was exposed for what it was; one of the worst in the league.  The defense is BAD and the running game is worse.  So in the off season they vowed to do more and they went out and....got some TE's.  Cue the fireworks.

IMO, the Packers have a bigger problem than McCarthy losing Aaron Rodgers, it is Rodgers who has lost his locker room.  Calling out his teammates and all the body language letting everybody know every single play that its not his fault. 

The Pack now has two directions to go in:  let Rodgers hand pick his coach or get a whipcracker to put him back in line.  I think everybody expects them to do the former and they will continue to suck because of it.

1 minute ago, dawkins4prez said:

Last year when Rodgers went down the rest of the Packers roster was exposed for what it was; one of the worst in the league.  The defense is BAD and the running game is worse.  So in the off season they vowed to do more and they went out and....got some TE's.  Cue the fireworks.

IMO, the Packers have a bigger problem than McCarthy losing Aaron Rodgers, it is Rodgers who has lost his locker room.  Calling out his teammates and all the body language letting everybody know every single play that its not his fault. 

The Pack now has two directions to go in:  let Rodgers hand pick his coach or get a whipcracker to put him back in line.  I think everybody expects them to do the former and they will continue to suck because of it.

Didn't Jenkins just do that this past week?

Just now, mike030270 said:

Didn't Jenkins just do that this past week?

I personally had a big problem with the way Rodgers led the singling out of Ty Montgomery and i made a couple posts about it here.  Ty Montgomery is the guy who switched positions to the less glamorous Rb because you literally didn't have one on the roster.  Singling out a specific player for causing a loss is no-no and Montgomery did not deserve that.

Trade him for peanuts and blame him internally, don't take that to the press.

11 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Rodgers called out his young WR early in the year. He also went public, saying they needed to run more, give the ball to Aaron Jones. He was right to do both. He is the first ballot hall of famer, has carried the entire team. He has had lousy run games and defense. He has won a lot of games with very average to below average teams. 

Biggest example of how much Rodgers carries this team was in 2011. They went 15-1. 27th ranked rushing offense, 19th ranked defense...3rd ranked passing offense. Rodgers pretty much alone led them to one of the best records ever. Imagine if they put more talent around him, on defense. The guy also is playing hurt this year, has thrown 4th most passes. He has just 1 int. I too would speak out if I had to carry my team for 95% of my career.  Yesterday he threw 50 times. Jones ran it only 11 times and they lost to Arizona. Packers defense couldn't keep the Cardinals backup RB out of the endzone. McCarthy is Andy but with a ring 

8 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

I personally had a big problem with the way Rodgers led the singling out of Ty Montgomery and i made a couple posts about it here.  Ty Montgomery is the guy who switched positions to the less glamorous Rb because you literally didn't have one on the roster.  Singling out a specific player for causing a loss is no-no and Montgomery did not deserve that.

Trade him for peanuts and blame him internally, don't take that to the press.

Was that the idiot that took the ball out of the endzone and then fumbled? Yea he deserved to get called out.