Sign in to follow this  
Leonard's Memory Lane

New York Giants 9-7 in 2011 Super Bowl Champs

This had the usual discrepancies  between the Regular and Post Season Games.  Since the differences were more intense and a 9-7 team won the big prize, I will look at the the games closer in the near future.

Here are the NFC Playoff Teams and their records

Atlanta Falcons (WC) 10-6, Detroit Lions (WC) 10-6, Green Bay Packers 15-1,  New Orleans Saints 13-3,  New York Giants 9-7,  San Francisco 49ers 13-3,

From AFC the Giants played the New England Patriots who were 13-3.

Here is how the Giants fared against the Playoff Teams during the season

On the road:  defeated the New England Patriots,  24 to 20; lost to San Francisco 27 to 20; lost to New Orleans 49 to 24;  at home lost to Green Bay 38 to 35.

For the Playoffs  at home, (WC) , defeated the Atlanta Falcons 24 to 2;  at Green Bay defeated the Packers 37 to 20;  at San Francisco defeated in overtime the 49ers 20 to 17.

In the Super Bowl the Giants defeated the Patriots at Indianapolis 21 to 17.

2 hours ago, Leonard's Memory Lane said:

On the road:  defeated the New England Patriots,  24 to 20; lost to San Francisco 27 to 20; lost to New Orleans 49 to 24;  at home lost to Green Bay 38 to 35.

During the season the defense was injured,  both Tuck and OSi was hurt that year, OSI only played 7 games, got him back in time for the playoff run, the defense was walking mash unit..

In the SB era record, Giants only team to win a SB with the 32nd rushing attack...Eli that year was Elite don't care if people say i am bias, no run game, injured defense, average offensive line, he dragged that team to playoffs...

2 hours ago, pencil face said:

During the season the defense was injured,  both Tuck and OSi was hurt that year, OSI only played 7 games, got him back in time for the playoff run, the defense was walking mash unit..

In the SB era record, Giants only team to win a SB with the 32nd rushing attack...Eli that year was Elite don't care if people say i am bias, no run game, injured defense, average offensive line, he dragged that team to playoffs...

Eli got hot at the right time ..... Giants also Benefitted from the NFCE being horrid that year .  It reminds me of 2015 Redskins   which that year  they just sucked the least  ..... but they also were one and done . Mostly because they had Cousins  who chokes more than a $5 crack ****  

10 hours ago, pencil face said:

FB_IMG_1544103469017.jpg

13 hours ago, NE.Jon said:

Eli got hot at the right time ..... Giants also Benefitted from the NFCE being horrid that year .  It reminds me of 2015 Redskins   which that year  they just sucked the least  ..... but they also were one and done . Mostly because they had Cousins  who chokes more than a $5 crack ****  

The NFC East had a down year, but the NFC overall was stacked. Three great teams (Packers, 49ers and Saints) and the Giants went through 2 of them on the road (the Packers and 49ers they were a combined 15-1 at home). The Giants had to take pretty much the hardest road possible in both recent SB wins. 

3 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

The NFC East had a down year, but the NFC overall was stacked. Three great teams (Packers, 49ers and Saints) and the Giants went through 2 of them on the road (the Packers and 49ers they were a combined 15-1 at home). The Giants had to take pretty much the hardest road possible in both recent SB wins. 

The 49ers defense was dominate that year.  They were unreal.   That was by far Eli's best year and for anyone to say he's not hall of fame worthy, I just can't take them seriously because his performance that year, with another super bowl run puts him in.  At least in my eyes.  I don't even think that's bias either.  Anyone else with his numbers that accomplished that I would see the same way.

17 hours ago, NE.Jon said:

He was pretty much hot that entire year.  Threw for nearly 5,000 yards and then in the playoffs played even better.  Other guys on that team that had career years were JPP and Victor Cruz.  Hakeem Nicks was really good that year too. 

If Giants went to the Super Dome instead of San Francisco they would have lost. The Giants were lucky because they matched up and still match up poorly against the Saints especially in the Dome. I hate the Giants guts as all of you know but once they dominated the Packers I knew it was over and the Giants were going to win the whole thing. San Francisco was young and too in experienced with a bad QB in Alex Smith. Perhaps if it was a year or 2 later the Niners would have a better chance but in 2011 they were too young. The Giants own the Patriots. I guess Belichick is still secretly a Giants fan and likes them winning? 

On 12/6/2018 at 11:02 PM, wrestlevessel said:

If Giants went to the Super Dome instead of San Francisco they would have lost. The Giants were lucky because they matched up and still match up poorly against the Saints especially in the Dome. I hate the Giants guts as all of you know but once they dominated the Packers I knew it was over and the Giants were going to win the whole thing. San Francisco was young and too in experienced with a bad QB in Alex Smith. Perhaps if it was a year or 2 later the Niners would have a better chance but in 2011 they were too young. The Giants own the Patriots. I guess Belichick is still secretly a Giants fan and likes them winning? 

While that is probably true, and I thought so at the time I will point out the Giants also matched up very poorly with the 49ers that year.  Especially on that day, weather was horrible for passing.  The field was all mud, receivers couldn't cut.  it was a mess.  Somehow they still won. 

If the Giants had beat us and then continued on their winning streak like they have so far this season, then i'd crap my pants because I'd seriously have thoughts that they could do it again this year.

7 minutes ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

If the Giants had beat us and then continued on their winning streak like they have so far this season, then i'd crap my pants because I'd seriously have thoughts that they could do it again this year.

No way in hell would they pull it off this year and I am so negative when it comes to the Giants. They have beaten no one still. Yes the Bears are a good team but they had a backup QB. You put the Giants against the Saints, Rams, and Chiefs right now and they get squashed. Plus the cancer of Beckham would hurt the team.