AlpineEagle

Week 14: Jaguars @ Titans

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Mariota really hasn't impressed me as an NFL QB. He can't be called a bust, but he hasn't lived up to being the #2 pick in the draft, either.

He's very tricky. He's had several clutch plays and game winners throughout his career. Some games he looks like Steve Young then the next he'll be like Bortles. That team really doesn't have a lot of talent at the skill positions either. 

1 minute ago, heavywchamp said:

He's very tricky. He's had several clutch plays and game winners throughout his career. Some games he looks like Steve Young then the next he'll be like Bortles. That team really doesn't have a lot of talent at the skill positions either. 

So, if you're the Titans, do you give him a big contract or let him walk?

6 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

So, if you're the Titans, do you give him a big contract or let him walk?

Well due to his injury history I would do an incentive laden contract with "big" numbers on paper. It's hard to just dump him and go in a different direction in the crapshoot draft. He is a legit starter and I just don't think the could dump him to start over again. They need to surround him with a proven OC and QB coach. 

6 minutes ago, heavywchamp said:

Well due to his injury history I would do an incentive laden contract with "big" numbers on paper. It's hard to just dump him and go in a different direction in the crapshoot draft. He is a legit starter and I just don't think the could dump him to start over again. They need to surround him with a proven OC and QB coach. 

I'm not sure he'd accept that kind of contract. Not if he thinks he could do better on the open market.

2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'm not sure he'd accept that kind of contract. Not if he thinks he could do better on the open market.

He should be coming up soon right? He's still a good talent but just can't stay healthy 16 games. Titans should really look to protect him better and give him better weapons. That was a perfect fade pass that just went thru the wr hands. He's 25 and came into the league raw and can still play. It's not like he's a Rg3. 

15 minutes ago, heavywchamp said:

He should be coming up soon right? He's still a good talent but just can't stay healthy 16 games. Titans should really look to protect him better and give him better weapons. That was a perfect fade pass that just went thru the wr hands. He's 25 and came into the league raw and can still play. It's not like he's a Rg3. 

He has a pretty good line running QBs tend to make a a line worse then they actually are. Like Aikman said that line had been healthy all year and have some really good players. There. 

They have Delanie Walker who is hurt but, has been good when played. Corey Davis is a top 10 pick Derrick Henry a 2nd round pick , Taywan Taylor a 3rd and they got Dion Lewis this year. I think this is more of a combination of coaching and Mariota just isn't that good. That offense has been terrible most of this year and last year. Then you had the years Mariota was injured. I wouldn't dump a big contract on him at all. 

D. Henry just ended a bunch of fantasy football seasons early for some people 

Realeased Henry a few weeks ago.  No one picked him up.  In our league he had 59.77 points.  🤣🤣🤣

^^^ I just checked my league and he had 52.8. The guy who has him left him on his bench. He started Aaron Jones and Marlon Mack.

i had him on my bench.....but who cares, I'm like 2-12 or whatever..fml

16 hours ago, heavywchamp said:

This is his 4th season. I don't know if the Titans picked up his 5th year option, but I'd assume they did. But they'll need to decide on him soon. Do they sign him to a long term deal or tag him for a year and pay him $18 to $20 Million for that season?

It's almost a Blake Bortles sort of situation, though Mariota is better than Bortles. But is he 'significantly' better to be worth a long term, mega deal?

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

This is his 4th season. I don't know if the Titans picked up his 5th year option, but I'd assume they did. But they'll need to decide on him soon. Do they sign him to a long term deal or tag him for a year and pay him $18 to $20 Million for that season?

It's almost a Blake Bortles sort of situation, though Mariota is better than Bortles. But is he 'significantly' better to be worth a long term, mega deal?

I would guess this off season they'll be looking to extend him? If that's their plan. I mean we are looking to potentially sign Wentz up and Mariota came in the year before. But yeah a big decision awaits the Titans because the jury is still very much out on him. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I would guess this off season they'll be looking to extend him? If that's their plan. I mean we are looking to potentially sign Wentz up and Mariota came in the year before. But yeah a big decision awaits the Titans because the jury is still very much out on him. 

It's not really a matter of extending him, he's on his rookie deal. So he's due a completely new contract. He's going to want franchise QB money.

I was listening to SiriusXM NFL before the season and a Titans fan called in to talk about Mariota, and this was basically his the topic of his call. As a Titans fan, he was saying that he didn't think the Titans should commit to a long term deal. Maybe a 1 year tag, but he was ready to begin moving on.

Carson will definitely get a 'break the bank' deal, when it's time to re-sign him. He's definitely worth it (despite what a particular Nick Foles fan may say in TATE). Mariota though? I really just see a mid-level QB in him.

5 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It's not really a matter of extending him, he's on his rookie deal. So he's due a completely new contract. He's going to want franchise QB money.

Ok I mean I use extend because ultimately if they were to sign him up a new deal then they are extending his stay. But yeah technically its a new contract and basically his first proper contract. And he's going to want pretty good money that's for sure. 

Mind you do you remember a time when some thought Winston and Mariota would set the new bar and that would make Wentz contract even bigger? My how times have changed there.