Wallyhorse

Where does Nick Foles wind up next season?

Where does Nick Foles wind up next season?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Nick Foles wind up next season?

• Stays with the Eagles
    • Giants
    • Raiders
    • Redskins
    • Jaguars
    • Dolphins
    • Buccaneers
    • Another team not listed

18 hours ago, boogyman said:

For a "best backup in the league and low end starter" Foles sure has been on the cover of SI and awful lot.

*Sigh*

how many full seasons as a starter does he have? 

Just twice in his career did he actually enter the season as the starting quarterback (if you don't count his spot duty this year). Both times were ugly.

Hes been a backup since he left the Rams.

He will probably end up with the most bizarre career for a QB in NFL history

44 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

*Sigh*

how many full seasons as a starter does he have? 

Just twice in his career did he actually enter the season as the starting quarterback (if you don't count his spot duty this year). Both times were ugly.

Hes been a backup since he left the Rams.

He will probably end up with the most bizarre career for a QB in NFL history

He was 6 and 2 with us I think he for whe got hurt. The second time was with the Rams. I personally give him a pass that team was horrible.  4 and 1 in the playoffs with a ring. Just won 4 elimination games in a row. I'll take it.

It really just comes down to what Nick and his family want.  He could restructure his contract to stay with the Eagles which he would need to do since I don't see them spending $20 million next year on a back-up.  He could go after the money and play for a team that doesn't use him as well as the Eagles have.  He could say that he wants to stay and help the Eagles get some first round picks (I've seen projections that he could be worth 2 first round picks).  We know the Eagles like having him where he is because of his success.  This was clear in them getting him his $1 million incentive bonus this year,  but I think Nick has all the power here to decide what he wants, especially if he can get us to another Super Bowl and possibly win it.  His value increases with every win.

11 minutes ago, boogyman said:

He was 6 and 2 with us I think he for whe got hurt. The second time was with the Rams. I personally give him a pass that team was horrible.  4 and 1 in the playoffs with a ring. Just won 4 elimination games in a row. I'll take it.

Yeah but the Eagles didn't start 6-2 because of him in 2014. He was a bottom 3rd guy in that stretch.

I'm not bashing him. By all means, take what he's giving you. I for one am happy for him because he's a genuinely good dude.

My point still stands until he succeeds as a full time starter.

33 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

Yeah but the Eagles didn't start 6-2 because of him in 2014. He was a bottom 3rd guy in that stretch.

I'm not bashing him. By all means, take what he's giving you. I for one am happy for him because he's a genuinely good dude.

But teams are still waiting for guys like Winston and the like to succeed as full time starters when they have been given chances 2 or more years on a row. Teams draft guys with a 50/50 or less chance to succeed and usually fail. To say Foles cant get that same chance or even more chances and he has actual acomplishments in the league is a silly way to look at it.

The guy has played average or better a lot more than he has played bad. The up and down or "bad Foles" thing is dumb because like I have said multiple times, outside the absolute elite (maybe 2 or 3 guys at any given time) every QB has bad games and streaks of bad games.

58 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

I don't really blame you for paying minimal attention to the 2014 run as you're not an Eagles fan but Foles was an important part of the 6-2 record. He had three game winning drives that year. He was 10th in yards per game. His TDs ended up 25th despite playing about half the season. His passer rating was 27th but honestly, it was skewed by a bad first half against the Jags and a terrible game against the 49ers. He was likely playing hurt after the cheap shot from Baker in week 3 as well. Prior to that, he was averaging 326 yards a game with a 95.5 passer rating, which would have been 9th in the league. He played a significant role in all three of those wins as well.

The Eagles also had serious offensive line problems to start the year. Lane Johnson was suspended weeks 1-4. Allen Barbre, his replacement, was hurt before week 1 and lasted 37% of the plays before going out for the season. Evan Mathis went down week 1 after 32% of the snaps and was gone until week 9. Kelce went down after 37% of the snaps week 3 and didn't return until week 8, when Foles went down.

3 minutes ago, zenclaybourne said:

I don't really blame you for paying minimal attention to the 2014 run as you're not an Eagles fan but Foles was an important part of the 6-2 record. He had three game winning drives that year. He was 10th in yards per game. His TDs ended up 25th despite playing about half the season. His passer rating was 27th but honestly, it was skewed by a bad first half against the Jags and a terrible game against the 49ers. He was likely playing hurt after the cheap shot from Baker in week 3 as well. Prior to that, he was averaging 326 yards a game with a 95.5 passer rating, which would have been 9th in the league. He played a significant role in all three of those wins as well.

The Eagles also had serious offensive line problems to start the year. Lane Johnson was suspended weeks 1-4. Allen Barbre, his replacement, was hurt before week 1 and lasted 37% of the plays before going out for the season. Evan Mathis went down week 1 after 32% of the snaps and was gone until week 9. Kelce went down after 37% of the snaps week 3 and didn't return until week 8, when Foles went down.

Also it took a while for him and Maclin to get a good connection on deep balls if I remember right as Maclin basically took Deseans job. If my memory is correct the few weeks before Foles got hurt for the season him and Maclin were hitting bombs regularly.

3 hours ago, zenclaybourne said:

Nah. I watch every Eagles game. I live in Eagles country and have probably watched more Eagles games than Giants games in my lifetime.

He was leading the league in turnovers before he was hurt against the Texans.

Also, that game where he took a shot from Chris Baker was really his only true legitimate good game that year and it came against the 2nd worst team in the league.

1 minute ago, vincent_NJG said:

Nah. I watch every Eagles game. I live in Eagles country and have probably watched more Eagles games than Giants games in my lifetime.

He was leading the league in turnovers before he was hurt against the Texans.

Also, that game where he took a shot from Chris Baker was really his only true legitimate good game that year and it came against the 2nd worst team in the league.

A good chunk of the turnovers were from the first half against the Jags and the 49ers game. But you're entitled to your opinion.

4 hours ago, boogyman said:

But teams are still waiting for guys like Winston and the like to succeed as full time starters when they have been given chances 2 or more years on a row. Teams draft guys with a 50/50 or less chance to succeed and usually fail. To say Foles cant get that same chance or even more chances and he has actual acomplishments in the league is a silly way to look at it.

The guy has played average or better a lot more than he has played bad. The up and down or "bad Foles" thing is dumb because like I have said multiple times, outside the absolute elite (maybe 2 or 3 guys at any given time) every QB has bad games and streaks of bad games.

I agree. Foles unequivocally deserves more opportunities. For the record, I'd take Foles over Winston. 

Point still stands until he truly becomes and succeeds as full time starter

13 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

I agree. Foles unequivocally deserves more opportunities. For the record, I'd take Foles over Winston. 

Point still stands until he truly becomes and succeeds as full time starter

I agree somewhat. Every player needs to prove themselves over time, especially QBs. 

My original point from months ago stands. Foles would be an excellent option for NY. 2 to 4 years for a proven (we argue here but you understand where I am coming from) QB at 20 to 25 million, maybe a tad more depending on demand, inserted into a talented offense. Use draft capital for the O line and defense. 

It is unlikely and I hope it doesnt happen because I believe in the guy as a QB. But from my point of view it makes sense. Look at what guys like Cousons are getting. And I think Barkley and Beckham are good enough to keep you from having to 5 pick in the near future. Being in the 10 to 20 range in the draft for an extended period of time is not the best place to be IMO.

7 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

2ndAllTime.thumb.jpg.411bab344110fd2234163e0629682669.jpg

Yeah but he didnt play well for a horrible Jeff Fischer Rams team so that stuff doesnt matter.

The most brilliant thing the Giants would do is sign Foles. He won't break the bank and they won't have to be pressured in trying to get the "right" QB in the draft any time soon. And the NY media won't faze him at all.

8 hours ago, vincent_NJG said:

No he's not.

Uh, yes he is. Your comparing potential against realized accomplishments. Right now Foles is better. The stats and the Trophies back this up.

28 minutes ago, Free for All said:

Uh, yes he is. Your comparing potential against realized accomplishments. Right now Foles is better. The stats and the Trophies back this up.

I'm comparing what I've seen. I watched Carson be a full time starter 3 times. That's already more than Foles. In his second season he would have been the hands down league MVP had he not blown out his knee.

Carson is better. If you don't see that then we can agree to disagree.

45 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

I'm comparing what I've seen. I watched Carson be a full time starter 3 times. That's already more than Foles. In his second season he would have been the hands down league MVP had he not blown out his knee.

I agree the best version of healthy Carson is better. But to use your own arguements. Carson's rookie year was very decent for a rookie. His second was great and ended in injury. His 3rd ended in injury.  There is a pattern here. So for you to dismiss Foles for not having complete seasons but then insist Wentz is better even though 2 of his 3 season ended with him injured and missing the playoffs which is the whole reason they play the game. This pretty much blows your own logic up. 

1 hour ago, vincent_NJG said:

I disagree. That was gonna be Brady no matter what, imo

27 minutes ago, boogyman said:

I agree the best version of healthy Carson is better. But to use your own arguements. Carson's rookie year was very decent for a rookie. His second was great and ended in injury. His 3rd ended in injury.  There is a pattern here. So for you to dismiss Foles for not having complete seasons but then insist Wentz is better even though 2 of his 3 season ended with him injured and missing the playoffs which is the whole reason they play the game. This pretty much blows your own logic up. 

You're misinterpreting my argument.

Foles has only twice in his career entered a season as the legitimate starting qb of a team. 

Carson has 3 times already.

Until Foles becomes an established successful starting QB in this league my point will still stand.

12 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

2 firsts, a 2nd and change sounds about right to me.  Problem for Eagles is really fitting Foles into next year's roster.  There just isn't any way to fit a $20m signing bonus into the 2019 cap situation.  Foles is gone and I don't think there is anything eagles can do about it.

Honestly, I would be shocked if a team gave up that much for Foles. I think Wentz has more value than Foles, quite honestly. Wentz is a lot younger and he has the capability to escape the pocket. Some fans may not want to see Wentz go, but I'm okay with it if we are getting a top RB or defensive player, along with 2 first round picks. 

On 1/8/2019 at 8:08 PM, Wallyhorse said:

Raiders are more concerned about Las Vegas in 2020.  They are tanking for Tua (Alabama QB) in 2020 OR Trevor Lawrence (Clemson QB) in 2021.

Tanking in 2018 for a 2021 draft pick?

Who are the Flyers tanking for in 2021 then?

3 hours ago, vincent_NJG said:

You're misinterpreting my argument.

Foles has only twice in his career entered a season as the legitimate starting qb of a team. 

Carson has 3 times already.

Until Foles becomes an established successful starting QB in this league my point will still stand.

He was the legitimate starter coming into this year even though he didn't start the year and didn't finish the year? And even if he did start the year, how does that make Wentz better? Starts don't matter, results matter. I agree Wentz has a ton of upside, but until he realizes his potential his career accomplishments will always pale in comparison to Foles. "Right now" Foles is better and the stats back that up. You say you are comparing what you have seen. Are you talking about athletic ability or about clutch QB play in the biggest games in football? Physical talent is only a small part of being a great QB.