Don Corleone

REPORT: Raiders set to hire Mike Mayock as GM

This should be interesting. I always wondered if a team would eventually try to hire him. Time for him to make his top 5 actually matter this time. 

Aren't GMs the ones making deals and contracts? I'd think Mayock would be better suited as a Joe Douglas kind of position where he's finding all the players needed

18 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

Aren't GMs the ones making deals and contracts? I'd think Mayock would be better suited as a Joe Douglas kind of position where he's finding all the players needed

They're also responsible for the draft and finding players. Douglas is Howie's sidekick 

It's probably not a bad move. He's pretty well respected as a draft analyst and with all the first round picks they have coming through they need to make them count. 

I don' t know how Mayock is going to handle Gruden's ego and Gruden basically has the power as the HC and GM.  Normally, the GM has the power, but in this case Gruden has it.  

I'm going to miss him as Eagles preseason commentator. Preseason games are all about player analysis so he was a great one to have in the booth.

Of all the places he could've gone to, he chose the Raiders lol. Mayock must have been given a king's ransom for becoming the GM there.

1 hour ago, Mat said:

It's probably not a bad move. He's pretty well respected as a draft analyst and with all the first round picks they have coming through they need to make them count. 

He probably will be Gruden's "Yes Man."  

1 hour ago, CaliEagle said:

I don' t know how Mayock is going to handle Gruden's ego and Gruden basically has the power as the HC and GM.  Normally, the GM has the power, but in this case Gruden has it.  

See above.  Gruden likely had the final say on who became GM.

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

NOOOOO. He was my favorite draft analyst by far, now WTF do I watch now, Kiper? F this.

Yeah that's the biggest thing that sucks about the hiring. I love Mayock's analysis and only watch the NFL Network's draft coverage because of it. I'll still keep it on the NFLN because I can't stand Kiper and ESPN's coverage as a whole.

Good for Mike-but he may find the situation a bit different on a clock in a War Room than behind the mike on a Dais 3 days a year.  NFL GM is an all-encompassing, stressful gig-even with the xtra job security.

27 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Daniel Jeremiah is still working for NFLN, no? I'd listen to him over McShay and Kiper all day long.

He is yep. He has good analysis as well plus i'm a bit biased since he was an Eagles scout

Raiders have taken Gruden from MNF, Mayock from nfl network( I will miss his combine analysis). I can only hope they take Collinsworthlessness from NBC as thier OC.

8 minutes ago, manz2821 said:

Raiders have taken Gruden from MNF, Mayock from nfl network( I will miss his combine analysis). I can only hope they take Collinsworthlessness from NBC as thier OC.

😂🤣😂🤣

Doubt he wants to do it. 

29 minutes ago, manz2821 said:

LMFAO, good one.

Good for Mike. He rose above - for me - all of the talking heads/NFL experts that are out there.

2 hours ago, LacesOut said:

Immature of me, but WTF is up with Gruden and Davis haircuts/styles???!! 🙃

If Carr is going to stay there then he is going to have to conform.

I like any talking head that likes Philly and that's Mayock.

If year one under Gruden is any indication however, tv guys making a transition back to coaching or "real" football management is in for a rude awakening. These are not dumb fans you're talking to about what works and what doesn't. Players are grown men that often make more money than you, have egos just as big and have a union to back them up. Good luck Mike.

Going to miss his draft analysis on NFL Network.   He was one of the best.  Guess Charles Davis will move to the top spot.

Overall this saddens me because Mayock is easily the best guy out there on the main networks with his analysis. 

This move tells me that the Raiders weren't going to get a GM that has both the scouting ability and even keeled personality that Mayock has. Mayock won't come in there to challenge Gruden's authority, but will provide enough support and advise that will highly value.

And this just happened further proving Gruden is terrible at evaluating players...Gruden collected bad QB his entire coaching career thinking he could mold them into stars. He made the absurd decision passing on Aaron Rodgers in favor of sticking with Chris Sims, who he claimed would be a star in the NFL, better than Rodgers. 

Nathan Peterman signs reserve/future contract with Raiders

Posted by Josh Alper on January 1, 2019, 4:56 PM EST

After the Raiders signed Nathan Peterman to their practice squad last month, head coach Jon Gruden said that he hoped to "restart” Peterman this offseason.

Gruden called Peterman the most pro-ready quarterback in the 2017 draft

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/01/nathan-peterman-signs-reserve-future-contract-with-raiders/?fbclid=IwAR162SRDhR9pkm0KWDR60J2uXY7qa2WluHBSNhGJJQOJGZvSfqEkS6VRwL0