VaBeach_Eagle

NFL Coaching Class of 2016 - How'd they fare?

3 full seasons removed now, let's look at how the class of 2016 has fared so far...

Chip Kelly - San Francisco 49ers: 2-14 Fired after the 2016 season.

Ben McAdoo - New York Giants: 13-15 Playoffs in 2016, 0-1. Fired after 12 games in the 2017 season.

Mike Mularky - Tennessee Titans: 18-14 Playoffs in 2017, 1-1Fired after 2017 season.

Adam Gase - Miami Dolphins: 23-25 Playoffs in 2016, 0-1. Fired after the 2018 season.

Dirk Koetter - Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 19-29 Fired after the 2018 season.

Hue Jackson - Cleveland Browns: 3-36-1 Fired after 8 games in the 2018 season.

Doug Pederson - Philadelphia Eagles: 29-19 Playoffs in 2017 3-0, Super Bowl LII Champions. Playoffs in 2018, Outcome TBD. Eagles picked up 5th year option in 2018.

I remember the Eagles being laughed at and ridiculed for hiring Doug... and that was by some Eagles fans on this very board as well as opposing fans around the league, and media talking heads. The entire rest of the 2016 class of head coaching hires have now been fired, with Chip Kelly having the shortest tenure at a single season.

I wanted Gase. Not going to lie. No one really knew Doug Pederson was going to be this strong a coach. He has brass balls and knows how to reach his players. So grateful that Lurie and Howie made that choice!

9 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

3 full seasons removed now, let's look at how the class of 2016 has fared so far...

Chip Kelly - San Francisco 49ers: 2-14 Fired after the 2016 season.

And Chipper really burned it up this past year at UCLA, where he was all of 3-9.  He might be fired for the third time in five years (four where he actually was coaching) if he repeats this past year in 2019.  

9 hours ago, McMarc said:

I wanted Gase. Not going to lie. No one really knew Doug Pederson was going to be this strong a coach. He has brass balls and knows how to reach his players. So grateful that Lurie and Howie made that choice!

Just proves you can't always predict.  Doug was looked at as a "safety valve" for the Eagles after Chip nearly wrecked the team.  While they thought Doug would be good, no one realistically thought the Eagles would win it all in year 2. 

13 hours ago, McMarc said:

I liked both Gase and Koetter. Glad I was not the guy to pick