Sign in to follow this  
robj80

2019 why don't we get games in 4k?

Recommended Posts

What I'd like to see is the Virtual Reality technology like the NBA uses for some games, where you wear the VR headset and watch the game as if you're actually at the game as a fan in a seat.

Not sure I'd want to watch all games like that, but it'd be interesting to see how good the 'fan experience' is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

What I'd like to see is the Virtual Reality technology like the NBA uses for some games, where you wear the VR headset and watch the game as if you're actually at the game as a fan in a seat.

Not sure I'd want to watch all games like that, but it'd be interesting to see how good the 'fan experience' is.

Where would you put them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

Where would you put them?

In the NBA game clips that I've seen on YouTube, they had it behind the basket and at mid-court (on the floor for both). So for the NFL, maybe at mid field if that can be done in some way that doesn't interfere with anything. Maybe a camera on the goalposts also.

If they can't really get cameras on the field level, then somewhere in the stands, around mid-field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good timing for this thread.  I'm looking to buy a new TV this month!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

What I'd like to see is the Virtual Reality technology like the NBA uses for some games, where you wear the VR headset and watch the game as if you're actually at the game as a fan in a seat.

Not sure I'd want to watch all games like that, but it'd be interesting to see how good the 'fan experience' is.

crap, lets just put cameras in the helmets and VR that feed!  That would be insane! Imagine the videos of people tackling their wives, kids, or running through walls lol 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait until you get old, no matter what the resolution is...it's all fuzzy. but 4K is the sheet man, like 5G will be once the get all the hardware in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1432446-REG/sony_vpl_vw295es_hdr_4k_sxrd.html/?c3ch=CSE&c3nid=7335 along with a 136" fixed frame screen.  Watching 4k content is unbelievable.  Blue Planet makes you think you are actually in the rain forest, or desert,  whatever.  It's insane.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:56 PM, Captain F said:

I bought this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1432446-REG/sony_vpl_vw295es_hdr_4k_sxrd.html/?c3ch=CSE&c3nid=7335 along with a 136" fixed frame screen.  Watching 4k content is unbelievable.  Blue Planet makes you think you are actually in the rain forest, or desert,  whatever.  It's insane.  

I'd love to have a projector like that, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for it.

I remember the day I got my first HD TV and HD DVR. There was a channel that was broadcasting nothing but wildlife and winter mountain scenery (and stuff of that sort). I watched it for about an hour just because the experience of HD was amazing compared to SD.

I also remember the day that I bought the TV, it was the final Sunday of the 2006 season (December 31st) and while I was in Best Buy, the Cowboys-Lions game was on one of the TVs and the vivid colors and crispness of the image just amazed me. Later that day, the Eagles beat the Falcons in Vick's final game as a Falcon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'd love to have a projector like that, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for it.

I remember the day I got my first HD TV and HD DVR. There was a channel that was broadcasting nothing but wildlife and winter mountain scenery (and stuff of that sort). I watched it for about an hour just because the experience of HD was amazing compared to SD.

I also remember the day that I bought the TV, it was the final Sunday of the 2006 season (December 31st) and while I was in Best Buy, the Cowboys-Lions game was on one of the TVs and the vivid colors and crispness of the image just amazed me. Later that day, the Eagles beat the Falcons in Vick's final game as a Falcon.

My brother bought a Epson 4100 projector that supports 4k. Got it from bestbuy a few months ago for like $1800...   Its an amazing projector for the price. Honestly, its probably 95% as clear as mine is.  Fixed frame screens on amazon are cheap also.

DOOO IITTTT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Captain F said:

My brother bought a Epson 4100 projector that supports 4k. Got it from bestbuy a few months ago for like $1800...   Its an amazing projector for the price. Honestly, its probably 95% as clear as mine is.  Fixed frame screens on amazon are cheap also.

DOOO IITTTT

I might be remembering wrong, but I think that's what I paid for my 60" Panasonic (in 2010).

Back then, I'd thought about getting a projector but the room where I'd put it isn't really big enough to have the projector back far enough from the seating area. I want to say it's about 10' from the couch to the TV, but it's been a while since I was looking into projectors.

For the one you have, how much is the replacement bulb and what's its expected life? That's one thing that I think was pretty expensive when I was looking into them back around 2010.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I might be remembering wrong, but I think that's what I paid for my 60" Panasonic (in 2010).

Back then, I'd thought about getting a projector but the room where I'd put it isn't really big enough to have the projector back far enough from the seating area. I want to say it's about 10' from the couch to the TV, but it's been a while since I was looking into projectors.

For the one you have, how much is the replacement bulb and what's its expected life? That's one thing that I think was pretty expensive when I was looking into them back around 2010.

Bulb life is about 6,000hrs, which is a ton of average tv usage.  I figure I'll get 2-4 years from this bulb.  I can get a replacement on ebay for $200~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my first HD experiences was a MNF football game featuring Chad Johnson. During the game they cut to a clip of some pre-game interview. Compared to SD tube TVs, it looked lik Ochocinco was literally sitting in the room talking to us with a frame hung around his head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HD has certainly been great for sports... I remember seeing my first football game in HD almost 15 years ago now, and was stunned by it.  Games still look great of course... I find CBS to have the best cameras.  Too bad FOX still broadcasts in 720p.

As far as 4K goes, the networks would have to upgrade all their equipment... not only dozens and dozens of cameras, but things like video switchers and cabling into and in the production truck.  FOX actually uses some 4K equipment for replays... since 4K has 4 times the resolution of HD, when zooming in on replays they can zoom in 4 times the amount and still retain regular HD quality.  4K is used for broadcast in Canada for some hockey and baseball games... it almost looks fake on smaller televisions up-close as the resolution is too good.  

8K TVs are here now too, and 16K prototypes are in testing mode!  But as mentioned, there is a point of diminishing returns.  

And lastly (not related to sports), some shows shot in the 90s on film have been converted to HD, like Seinfeld and Friends, as film as a high resolution.  But even film has an approximate max resolution... 70mm for IMAX has an equivalent (analog to digital) resolution of 12K... so these 16K TVs will have to have entirely new content produced for them if no upscaling is to be done.  And let's not forget about gettting 22.2 surround sound!  Where will it end???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 10:44 PM, AmericanEagle77 said:

I'm a computer science major who not only has seen things in 4K, I've used 4K monitors which have significantly higher quality panels than their TV counterparts, with higher refresh rates, and have seen significantly higher amounts of 4K content than most have, especially outside of Netflix.

I'll say it again, especially in the monitor world, 4K is highly overrated. It's less overrated when you have absolutely gigantic screens, but there's a limit to the pixel density that people benefit from at certain screen sizes.

It's nice for big 80+ inch TVs, but that's because it helps bridge the crisp picture difference that you're losing out by stretching 1080 vertical pixels across a giant screen. It's a specialty resolution that is best for specialty sizes, but for the majority of the general populous, the resolution isn't doing much of anything, but the higher quality panels are.

That's why I said it's overrated. Because resolution is always relative to size. And we're quickly nearing the point of diminishing returns.

I'm not at all knowledgeable about these things but have read that 4K color reproduction is more true to life than HD no matter the display size or resolution. As far as pixels I'm sure you're right. It's like wanting 20 MP images for 5 X 7 photographs. Why? Unless you're displaying or printing far larger images i.e. posters, signs or billboards the only people who benefit are digital storage vendors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this