Sign in to follow this  
robj80

2019 why don't we get games in 4k?

Watching the playoffs and is there any games broadcast in anything higher than 720p? It looks great but I always want more lol. Wasn't sure what forum to ask. 

Because cable lines haven't upgraded and Internet is too sporadic depending on area, particularly because of the Internet cap stipulation that many companies refuse to address. There might be a very special option that provides this optionally but I'm not sure.

4K is highly overrated and mostly a marketing scam due to using better quality panels as well, but 1080P at least would be nice. I admit I've wanted that for a long, long time.

Makes sense. There is no excuse for no 1080p though. I watch most of my NFL games via OTA. I think 720p is best out there. Some are 1080i depending on the station. 

11 minutes ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

Because cable lines haven't upgraded and Internet is too sporadic depending on area, particularly because of the Internet cap stipulation that many companies refuse to address. There might be a very special option that provides this optionally but I'm not sure.

4K is highly overrated and mostly a marketing scam due to using better quality panels as well, but 1080P at least would be nice. I admit I've wanted that for a long, long time.

Have you seen anything in 4k?

44 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

Have you seen anything in 4k?

I'm a computer science major who not only has seen things in 4K, I've used 4K monitors which have significantly higher quality panels than their TV counterparts, with higher refresh rates, and have seen significantly higher amounts of 4K content than most have, especially outside of Netflix.

I'll say it again, especially in the monitor world, 4K is highly overrated. It's less overrated when you have absolutely gigantic screens, but there's a limit to the pixel density that people benefit from at certain screen sizes.

It's nice for big 80+ inch TVs, but that's because it helps bridge the crisp picture difference that you're losing out by stretching 1080 vertical pixels across a giant screen. It's a specialty resolution that is best for specialty sizes, but for the majority of the general populous, the resolution isn't doing much of anything, but the higher quality panels are.

That's why I said it's overrated. Because resolution is always relative to size. And we're quickly nearing the point of diminishing returns.

42 minutes ago, pencil face said:

lol Overrated,  it's 4times the resolution of 1080p, 4k is spectacular.....

It is but, most things are not anywhere close to actually running in true 4k. They still struggle to put out true 1080

18 minutes ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

I'm a computer science major who not only has seen things in 4K, I've used 4K monitors which have significantly higher quality panels than their TV counterparts, with higher refresh rates, and have seen significantly higher amounts of 4K content than most have, especially outside of Netflix.

I'll say it again, especially in the monitor world, 4K is highly overrated. It's less overrated when you have absolutely gigantic screens, but there's a limit to the pixel density that people benefit from at certain screen sizes.

It's nice for big 80+ inch TVs, but that's because it helps bridge the crisp picture difference that you're losing out by stretching 1080 vertical pixels across a giant screen. It's a specialty resolution that is best for specialty sizes, but for the majority of the general populous, the resolution isn't doing much of anything, but the higher quality panels are.

That's why I said it's overrated. Because resolution is always relative to size. And we're quickly nearing the point of diminishing returns.

It's been that way since before 4k

Image result for resolution vs distance chart

5 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

It's been that way since before 4k

Image result for resolution vs distance chart

Seen these graphics before. I actually looked into it further way back because I thought maybe it was just me. Of course it's been that way somewhat since before, 4K. If you look closely at my post, the point is 4K is a niche resolution that benefits only a specific group of circumstances. This is the point of diminishing returns: The higher the resolution, the more niche the required use case becomes. 

Like I said, it's overrated. But people like it, so that's OK.

The question however was about why it's not more common. And the answer is infrastructure. 1080P is long, long overdue. It's actually a travesty.

20 minutes ago, robj80 said:

When the Eagles are on I am about 2' from my 55" screen. I want 4k lol!

If you keep that up you might need more than 4K to see in 10 years! 😄

I have no idea what you guys are talking about but I'm always willing to boost my post count, especially when I somehow lost 15K posts during the "upgrade" from the previous board. 

22 minutes ago, The_Talon said:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about but I'm always willing to boost my post count, especially when I somehow lost 15K posts during the "upgrade" from the previous board. 

I lost 40k..... 

1 hour ago, Captain F said:

I lost 40k..... 

I see what you did there 😂 

but not to fret, 40k is no different than 1080 posts.  You hit your point of diminishing returns when the posts stopped being in red italics.

Btw, the reason you’re not seeing games in 4K is that you don’t have the right equipment.  There are only 2 specific boxes from Comcast that broadcast 4K and they are only available to x1 subscribers and not available in all areas.  

The other reason is that a lot of tv shows aren’t broadcast in 4K because believe it or not the world isn’t ready for it.  You still have homes that are barely set up for digital let alone high def and 4K (meaning not current TVs that can even display it), so there isn’t as much of a demand as you think.  the average home has less than 4K tv and a dated set top box that can’t even display 4K so for that reason you aren’t getting games and shows in 4k.  Most tv shows aren’t recorded in 4K as well so the source isn’t even up to date.  Most 4K content you will find through Netflix, prime, YouTube tv, etc.  

if you have a 4K tv,  you will notice the difference if the source is 4K and the equipment can display it in true 4K (without upscaling).  If you have a smart tv, go watch a 4K Netflix show via the tv app, and then go watch that same show via the Comcast box Netflix app.  You’ll see the difference immediately.  

And refresh rate has nothing to do with resolution.  Refresh rate is how smooth it will look and lag time which is more important in heavy gaming and fast action sports like hockey or Bball.  In fact a fast refresh rate watching those sports can make you sick, it’s really hard to digest.  It creates the soap opera effect.  

On a side note if you have 4K and a ps4, get the game called horizon zero dawn and tell me you don’t believe in the power of 4k.

I think our comp sci major needs to spend more time in the books.  😆 

Because broadcasters are stuck in 2001 and they don't care. It doesn't help that the population accepts 15 year old technology to be the norm.

33 minutes ago, Z31fanatic said:

Because broadcasters are stuck in 2001 and they don't care. It doesn't help that the population accepts 15 year old technology to be the norm.

I'm guilty of this. I only just got 1080 last year, I've had 720 the last 5 years before that lol. 

One of these days, I'll have to look into this 'color TV' fad. My 13" Black and White is getting a little old.

Is it really worth having a remote control or is that really overrated?

25 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

One of these days, I'll have to look into this 'color TV' fad. My 13" Black and White is getting a little old.

Is it really worth having a remote control or is that really overrated?

Losing your remote control causes you to lose your mind lol. If you ahve no remote to lose then I suppose it will keep you stable 

On 1/6/2019 at 2:45 AM, DaBirdwatcher said:

Btw, the reason you’re not seeing games in 4K is that you don’t have the right equipment.  There are only 2 specific boxes from Comcast that broadcast 4K and they are only available to x1 subscribers and not available in all areas.  

The other reason is that a lot of tv shows aren’t broadcast in 4K because believe it or not the world isn’t ready for it.  You still have homes that are barely set up for digital let alone high def and 4K (meaning not current TVs that can even display it), so there isn’t as much of a demand as you think.  the average home has less than 4K tv and a dated set top box that can’t even display 4K so for that reason you aren’t getting games and shows in 4k.  Most tv shows aren’t recorded in 4K as well so the source isn’t even up to date.  Most 4K content you will find through Netflix, prime, YouTube tv, etc.  

if you have a 4K tv,  you will notice the difference if the source is 4K and the equipment can display it in true 4K (without upscaling).  If you have a smart tv, go watch a 4K Netflix show via the tv app, and then go watch that same show via the Comcast box Netflix app.  You’ll see the difference immediately.  

And refresh rate has nothing to do with resolution.  Refresh rate is how smooth it will look and lag time which is more important in heavy gaming and fast action sports like hockey or Bball.  In fact a fast refresh rate watching those sports can make you sick, it’s really hard to digest.  It creates the soap opera effect.  

On a side note if you have 4K and a ps4, get the game called horizon zero dawn and tell me you don’t believe in the power of 4k.

I don't even have Comcast or cable lol. I use a Nvidia shield for streaming content and an antenna for OTA. With all the money the NFL has they should record in 4k.  There is plenty of 4k content available to me on my setup just wish football was one of them. 

Money. All of the broadcasters have invested in either 720p or 1080i equipment. They would have to buy better equipment to broadcast in 4k.  I don't think the demand is there to satisfy the extra investment. (I understand 720p is better than 1080i for displaying motion, like live sports, because the progressive image gives you a full display on each frame while the interlaced image is only half. Fox, ABC, and ESPN broadcast 720p. CBS and NBC broadcast 1080i)

I have seen the 4k demos in the store but I haven't upgraded from a 1080 screen yet... I'm not that big a videophile, I can't tell much of a difference. I'm not watching on a 80" screen at home either.

When Will 4K NFL Broadcasts Finally Happen?

On 1/6/2019 at 2:45 AM, DaBirdwatcher said:

Can you explain the "soap opera" effect?  I know what you mean by it...but what exactly causes it?

7 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Can you explain the "soap opera" effect?  I know what you mean by it...but what exactly causes it?

It’s caused by a feature in tvs called motion smoothing or maybe true imaging or some catch phrase like that which essentially takes a tv show or movie that was filmed in 24fps and tries to make it look like it was filmed at 60fps or 120fps.  It does this by adding in frames, "guessing” what the next image would be, technical term is interpolation.  It’s basically faking a higher refresh rate.  If the original source wasn’t at a high refresh rate, which most TVs shows and older movies aren’t, and your tv has this feature, you’ll notice the effect.  With sports, it can be really noticeable because of the fast movements and that’s why i say it can make you motion sick actually.  You can likely turn off motion smoothing to reduce the effect.  But again this is all due to refresh rate and not resolution.  

1 hour ago, DaBirdwatcher said:

It’s caused by a feature in tvs called motion smoothing or maybe true imaging or some catch phrase like that which essentially takes a tv show or movie that was filmed in 24fps and tries to make it look like it was filmed at 60fps or 120fps.  It does this by adding in frames, "guessing” what the next image would be, technical term is interpolation.  It’s basically faking a higher refresh rate.  If the original source wasn’t at a high refresh rate, which most TVs shows and older movies aren’t, and your tv has this feature, you’ll notice the effect.  With sports, it can be really noticeable because of the fast movements and that’s why i say it can make you motion sick actually.  You can likely turn off motion smoothing to reduce the effect.  But again this is all due to refresh rate and not resolution.  

Now I know why my Samsung I had 5 or 6 years ago used to give me vertigo when I'd watch Flyers games!