ShakeThatMonkey

Cardinals Hire Kliff Kingsbury (Former College Coach for Mahomes)

Wilks got fired, albeit prematurely I think, because he oversaw a terrible season for the Cards in which they finished as the worst team in football. Now I don't put a lot of the blame on Wilks for that. That's a team that's lacking a lot of talent. The hiring of Kingsbury to me makes sense... He's worked with and developed a lot of QBs who are now playing, and producing, in the NFL! And they have another young qb in Rosen already in Arizona. 

20 hours ago, Havenless said:

Guys, this is what we should be talking about:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SInow/status/1083205578724438016?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

A. That’s kinda eery.

B. They obviously hired him to mold their QB of the future as he did with a handful of guys in college, but if he’s not a Rosen guy, what are the realistic options? I don’t think anyone’s giving up a 1 for Rosen. Maybe Miami?

That's is eerie. There's been some strange things that has happened in the NFL, but the Cards drafting Kyler Murray would definitely be in the top 3.

7 hours ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

That's is eerie. There's been some strange things that has happened in the NFL, but the Cards drafting Kyler Murray would definitely be in the top 3.

Why is it eerie though? And why is it so strange? 

So I was talking with someone the other day. What happens if Kyler goes in the first but then decides to play baseball? What happens with that first round pick? 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So I was talking with someone the other day. What happens if Kyler goes in the first but then decides to play baseball? What happens with that first round pick? 

Then they own the rights to Murray if he ever decides to play football. 

If he doesn't then they wasted a 1st.

2 hours ago, Quiet Boy said:

Then they own the rights to Murray if he ever decides to play football. 

If he doesn't then they wasted a 1st.

So I guess they have to be very sure that he's going to play football! But why do they own the rights over the baseball team who drafted him. 

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Do you honestly believe that the #1 overall pick would decide to play baseball??????????????

50 minutes ago, Procus said:

Do you honestly believe that the #1 overall pick would decide to play baseball??????????????

Well... Why not? I mean we all love football but why not? I'm just playing devil's advocate. 

15 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well... Why not? I mean we all love football but why not? I'm just playing devil's advocate. 

$$$$$ and fame

5 minutes ago, Procus said:

$$$$$ and fame

There's plenty of $$$$$ in baseball though? And fame... And less risk of serious serious injury like constant concussions etc. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

There's plenty of $$$$$ in baseball though? And fame... And less risk of serious serious injury like constant concussions etc. 

True - for free agents, not draftees.  Not nearly the $$ that a #1 overall pick in the NFL would receive.  And baseball can not offer him the stage that being a #1 overall pick would.

1 minute ago, Procus said:

True - for free agents, not draftees.  Not nearly the $$ that a #1 overall pick in the NFL would receive.  And baseball can not offer him the stage that being a #1 overall pick would.

Fair points I'm just playing a bit of devil's advocate that's all. But surely long term he may earn more in baseball? Beyond that rookie deal? 

55 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Fair points I'm just playing a bit of devil's advocate that's all. But surely long term he may earn more in baseball? Beyond that rookie deal? 

"may" vs. guaranteed to make big money

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It's strange because of the remark that Kingsbury made at that time and now considering he just landed a job with a team who has the number 1 pick.

Additionally, the Cards took Rosen in the first round last year. Do they just move on from him that fast and choose Murray? It would be a strange dynamic.

Just now, ShakeThatMonkey said:

It's strange because of the remark that Kingsbury made at that time and now considering he just landed a job with a team who has the number 1 pick.

Additionally, the Cards took Rosen in the first round last year. Do they just move on from him that fast and choose Murray? It would be a strange dynamic.

Yeah it's definitely a strange one... Although I guess Kingsbury knows the score going in there. So if the Cards FO want to stick with Rosen then Kingsbury is going to know that right? I mean he's not GM, he's not calling the shots. But at the same time maybe he only took the job because he wanted guarantees he could have Kyler. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah it's definitely a strange one... Although I guess Kingsbury knows the score going in there. So if the Cards FO want to stick with Rosen then Kingsbury is going to know that right? I mean he's not GM, he's not calling the shots. But at the same time maybe he only took the job because he wanted guarantees he could have Kyler. 

Good questions and should bring some drama leading into the draft.

Just now, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Good questions and should bring some drama leading into the draft.

Definitely should and will be interesting. Who picks at 2? Because they have a chance to get Boss... Holy smokes that kid is going to be a beast. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So I guess they have to be very sure that he's going to play football! But why do they own the rights over the baseball team who drafted him. 

It's two different leagues so to my understanding, whomever drafts him in their respective leagues own his rights.

Ultimately, it's up to the player what league he chooses to play in. 

Russell Wilson is a Seahawk and will be playing on the Yankees during training camp again this year.

UK: Pathway to NFL much straighter than for MLB.  Minor leagues...........long bus rides.......little money (don't spend that signing bonus too quick son) NO GUARANTEE OF EVER MAKING THE SHOW.  There is no "minors" in football so to speak.  Perks much better once you make a roster.  Potential longevity is baseball's draw.    16 games vs 162.  If you make it to the majors, you have a shot to stick around a long, long long long time.  No salary cap.  If you get good and are young, Scott Boras calls you up.  Ask how much it's going to take to see the Phils re-up Hoskins down the road!  Bonus:  You will probably be able to walk w/o a limp and remember your own name whenever the ride ends.

*Only posting this because of your whereabouts and my uncertainty over what you are aware of in other American sports because of it. Sorry if you were aware-stated only as a public service. 

Coaching at Texas Tech would be like coaching in the NFL except here is how the draft works.

• Texas gets 4 first round picks and 5 second round picks and 5 third round picks.
  • Oklahoma gets 6 first round picks, and 4 second round picks, and 8 third round picks.
  • West Virginia gets 2 first round picks, and 3 second round picks, and 4 third round picks.
  • Your first pick is in round 4 and your next pick is in round 6.
    • The rest of your roster is undrafted free agents

This does not mean Kingsbury will be great, but using his W/L record at Texas Tech as a reason to hate the pick is goofy.

11 hours ago, Quiet Boy said:

Russell Wilson is a Seahawk and will be playing on the Yankees during training camp again this year.

Yeah but I guess the difference there is that Wilson has never played for the Yankees? And likely never will. Kyler has a really legit chance, being drafted in the first round, to play in the MLB. 

The Greatest Show On Turf has worked before. Kingsbury has a good trigger man for that type of offense. This seems like a good hire if he can get the right assistants. I saw that Sarkisian turned down the OC job.

On 1/12/2019 at 11:35 AM, Procus said:

Go back to 1987 when Bo Jackson was taken first overall.  He chose to play for the Royals. 

53 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Go back to 1987 when Bo Jackson was taken first overall.  He chose to play for the Royals. 

Good point.  And I read also that MLB authorized him to be signed to a major league contract as an incentive to choose baseball.