Sign in to follow this  
Procus

Broncos hire Vic Fangio as HC

Major head coaching and DC upgrade for Denver.  A bad, bad week for the Bears.  Kubiak hire as OC.  Let's see if the Broncos make a play for Foles.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/09/broncos-hire-vic-fangio-as-head-coach/

Broncos hire Vic Fangio as head coach

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 9, 2019, 12:07 PM EST
GettyImages-158819083-e1547053645234.jpg
Getty Images

The Broncos have their new head coach, and the Bears need a new defensive coordinator.

Vic Fangio has been hired as the Broncos’ next head coach, ESPN reports.

Fangio has been the Bears’ defensive coordinator for the last four seasons and was the 49ers’ defensive coordinator for four seasons before that. He’s previously been a defensive coordinator with the Panthers, Colts and Texans. He has a good reputation as a defensive coach.

There was some talk, however, that he might not be a strong candidate for a head coach, as he hasn’t been one before and, at age 60, he could have faced some age discrimination in a league where younger head coaches seem to be all the rage.

Fangio beat out Mike Munchak for the top job in Denver. Now he’ll take over a Broncos team that has had back-to-back disappointing seasons. And the Bears will hope they can find a coordinator who can be as effective in Chicago as Fangio was.

I find it hard to believe he said yes to the job while also being ok with Miller being traded

Are they or aren't they trading Von Miller? Last I heard he's off the trading block.

I wonder what Elway/Kubiak have up their sleeves with Fangio as head coach?  Kubiak had to step down from the job due to migraines. If he's healthy again to be OC, why not bring him back as head coach? I suppose Fangio doesn't leave Chicago unless it's for a promotion.

1 hour ago, toolg said:

I wonder what Elway/Kubiak have up their sleeves with Fangio as head coach?  Kubiak had to step down from the job due to migraines. If he's healthy again to be OC, why not bring him back as head coach? I suppose Fangio doesn't leave Chicago unless it's for a promotion.

He had a mini stroke while coaching the Texans.  The HC job puts a whole level of stress on a coach that does not exist for the OC position.

2 hours ago, mike030270 said:

I find it hard to believe he said yes to the job while also being ok with Miller being traded

I just can't see that happening 

3 hours ago, mike030270 said:

Yeah I can't see that... Mind you where does Miller play in a Vangio scheme? He's been a OLB in a 3-4 defense... 

18 hours ago, toolg said:

Are they or aren't they trading Von Miller? Last I heard he's off the trading block.

I could see them trading Von Miller if Fangio is going to a 4-3. Get more pucks for a new scheme that way.

*Edit nvm. Bears ran a 3-4. Von Miller going nowhere lol

As for migraines, which have been described as mini strokes, being in the booth could help if its climate controlled. Plus, he's less likely to be on the camera, so its easier to kind of hide any episodes.

I guess he can thank the Eagles (or Parkey). Had the Bears made the divisional round (or further), they may have hired someone else rather than wait.

18 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I guess he can thank the Eagles (or Parkey). Had the Bears made the divisional round (or further), they may have hired someone else rather than wait.

Yup. That’s how Reid got the job here. It’s a shame too. I realize teams want to get things in place as soon as possible, but if you have a belief that someone can lead your team for many years to come, a few weeks delay in year one shouldn’t be a factor. 

Great Hire, this one and Gase easily the two best.  People are talking up Foles to the Raiders but its Elway and the Broncos who do not convince me as a team willing to go full rebuild and missinga  Qb.  This hire says they do want to win another Sb with this defense.  Elway loves "championship Qb's"  .  As long as Howie doesn't get too greedy, I can see Elway & Foles playing along for a tag and trade netting the eagles a 2nd rd pick.

11 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Great Hire, this one and Gase easily the two best.  People are talking up Foles to the Raiders but its Elway and the Broncos who do not convince me as a team willing to go full rebuild and missinga  Qb.  This hire says they do want to win another Sb with this defense.  Elway loves "championship Qb's"  .  As long as Howie doesn't get too greedy, I can see Elway & Foles playing along for a tag and trade netting the eagles a 2nd rd pick.

If Foles gets another SB win then he's going to cost more than a 2nd round pick

1 minute ago, mike030270 said:

In a vacuum, of course.  But the way it needs to play out for Eagles getting anything at all doesn't give Howie much leverage.  You have to franchise him AND make sure you have a buyer.

2 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

In a vacuum, of course.  But the way it needs to play out for Eagles getting anything at all doesn't give Howie much leverage.  You have to franchise him AND make sure you have a buyer.

Yeah and this has been my concern... There will be a market for Foles without doubt... But teams could sit back and watch us sweat if they wanted because ultimately they know we have to move him if we tag him. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah and this has been my concern... There will be a market for Foles without doubt... But teams could sit back and watch us sweat if they wanted because ultimately they know we have to move him if we tag him. 

You also have to consider Foles.  If you want him to play nice in all of this you can't be aiming to gouge his future team.  I don;t see how this delicate trade happens without Foles' input which is again why i like Denver as a place he would approve.

Just now, dawkins4prez said:

You also have to consider Foles.  If you want him to play nice in all of this you can't be aiming to gouge his future team.  I don;t see how this delicate trade happens without Foles' input which is again why i like Denver as a place he would approve.

I can see him in Denver for sure although I'm not sure how ready that team is to win? And I think Foles will want to go to a team that's ready to compete pretty soon. 

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I can see him in Denver for sure although I'm not sure how ready that team is to win? And I think Foles will want to go to a team that's ready to compete pretty soon. 

They have like 50m in cap space and a ton of draft picks.  They are just a couple pieces away from having a fierce defense again.  They have a Rb.  O-Line isn't a complete mess, need some recievers.  Like the Fangio hire suggests, they aren't that far away.  You rarely are when you have pass rushers like they got.

7 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

They have like 50m in cap space and a ton of draft picks.  They are just a couple pieces away from having a fierce defense again.  They have a Rb.  O-Line isn't a complete mess, need some recievers.  Like the Fangio hire suggests, they aren't that far away.  You rarely are when you have pass rushers like they got.

Yeah OK their D line is very good and I guess that's why Fangio is a good fit there. I'm not so sure about their RB though. Lindsay was great this year but he's a rookie and we have seen what happens to rookies after a year or two. 

19 hours ago, mike030270 said:

Can Gary Kubiak create an offense that fits Foles?

Fair question. Ultimately the OC in Denver is going to be left to run their offense whilst Fangio does what he does best and works on the D. 

22 hours ago, mike030270 said:

Can Gary Kubiak create an offense that fits Foles?

Looks like it won't be Kubiak anymore.

On 1/11/2019 at 9:59 AM, mike030270 said:

Even if he doesn't..............................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^    #sellersmarket.