Sign in to follow this  
Sack that QB

So many organizations have no clue about hiring head coaches

You see head coaches being fired after only one or two seasons. That tells you either a) teams weren't strong enough in their convictions of hiring these guys in the first place or b) the initial hiring process wasn't good to begin with. If you conduct interviews and you choose one man to be your guy as your head coach, and you fire him after only one season, then how strong were you in that choice to begin with? And if you weren't strong in that choice, then why make it?

Then you have a bunch of teams pursuing guys simply because they share "things in common" with other coaches of previous success. Like Sean McVay this year. Or teams sticking to trendy and/or arbitrary criteria. Like "he's young!" and "He's an offensive guy!"

I'm completely convinced that when these organizations sit down with these candidates they have no idea what they're looking for. You see it so often with so many obviously awful hires around the league and how fast so many of them are fired.

And then you have teams hiring guys simply because they can be puppets for the GMs or owners, which is another thing entirely.

Can I choose answer "C" for both?

I agree with you though and let's all remember about how the Eagles went about choosing Doug Pederson.

• They reaffirmed the information with Andy Reid.
  • They brought in guys like Jaws to get his input and opinion.
  • They all worked collectively and came to a conclusion together.
  • They chose a guy who showed emotional intelligence and having an understanding of player development.
  • It was very apparent that they felt genuinely good about who they hired. Considering they had an opportunity to get guys like Coughlin, Hue Jackson (yuck) and I think Adam Gase too.

The last thing that NFL organizations are is patient.  And I do agree that they don't vet head coaching candidates well......how can a guy be your pick to lead the football team end up being fired a year or 2 later?........especially if the GM or personnel departments suck at obtaining talent.  If the GM was so WRONG about a HC hire, then he should be fired along with the HC.

The NFL has a similar problem with evaluating and developing young QBs......but that's a whole other discussion.......

I agree.  I think a lot of teams look for some superficial hot hand, somebody with some intangible they can simply insert in the organization and see if it fits... I feel like there aren't many teams that consider how that coach fits within the organization behind the scenes until he's already hired. Many coaches have a strong personality, it fits with the job, so I can see how that can cause conflict.

Some teams get turned around quickly after a new coach is put in place, and I think many owners/GMs see that and assume that’s going to happen all the time. Not every team can be a quick fix. Giving any HC only one season is ridiculous. Even two years is too short, although, there should be some indication that things are going in a more positive direction by the end of the 2nd year. By year three is when you should be able to determine if the franchise is really driving towards being a consistent playoff contender. 

...and even more have no idea when to let a coach go, and for what.  A lot is knee jerk reaction to how the ball bounced that season for a team.

39 minutes ago, Gregg said:

...and even more have no idea when to let a coach go, and for what.  A lot is knee jerk reaction to how the ball bounced that season for a team.

Also, they put a lot of stock in how the ball bounced for ANOTHER team. At the end of the day, I don't think many of these decision makers are very competent. The same self-confidence and drive that made them excel in another field might end up being their Achilles' heel. They don't know what they don't know.