jfluke

Conf. Championship games

So, say the Eagles, Rams, Chargers, and Colts all win this weekend. LA would be host to both games. 

Where would the Chargers play?

I’ll bet traffic would suck out there. 

As opposed to the rest of the week when traffic sucks out there. 

4 hours ago, wtfcares said:

They each currently have their own stadium. 

I cant see the NFL playing the AFCCG in the Chargers tiny stadium.

It's a valid question but I guess the NFL surely couldn't strip the Chargers of a home game just because of their stadium? Mind you the Chargers are better on the road it seems so maybe they'd want that to happen. 

Chargers would host the Colts in that little soccer stadium they play in. That's their home stadium. If the Colts pull the upset on Saturday, watch the refs do everything they can make sure the Patriots beat the Chargers on Sunday.

Why don't the Chargers play in the Rose Bowl?

The AFCCG would be in the soccer stadium.  I don't see why it wouldn't be.  It already needed a special waiver from the league to be used in the first place, and the Chargers got it.  So why would there be an exception to the waiver, for one game, on such short notice?

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It's a valid question but I guess the NFL surely couldn't strip the Chargers of a home game just because of their stadium? Mind you the Chargers are better on the road it seems so maybe they'd want that to happen. 

I suspect they'd work with Pasadena officials for permission to use the Rose Bowl for the AFC Championship game.

Apparently the league wants the game at LA colliseum if the chargers win this weekend. And if both the chargers and rams win this weekend they are considering moving the AFCCG to Monday. 

2 hours ago, wtfcares said:

Apparently the league wants the game at LA colliseum if the chargers win this weekend. And if both the chargers and rams win this weekend they are considering moving the AFCCG to Monday. 

The Chargers would have to agree to move the game, which they would never do. The Chargers and AEG have the contractual right to have the game at their stadium. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/11/no-way-afc-title-game-would-be-moved/

As for why they don’t play at the Rose Bowl, the Rose Bowl and the city of Pasadena didn’t want them or the Rams. 

6 hours ago, vikas83 said:

The Chargers would have to agree to move the game, which they would never do. The Chargers and AEG have the contractual right to have the game at their stadium. 

But can we say that they'd never agree to move the game? Because let's be honest that isn't really much of a home field advantage is it? They've actually been better on the road this year. 

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But can we say that they'd never agree to move the game? Because let's be honest that isn't really much of a home field advantage is it? They've actually been better on the road this year. 

AEG owns the stadium and will NEVER allow it to be moved, unless they get tens of millions of dollars. 

It is not the Chargers’ decision. It is AEG. 

1 minute ago, vikas83 said:

AEG owns the stadium and will NEVER allow it to be moved, unless they get tens of millions of dollars. 

It is not the Chargers’ decision. It is AEG. 

Ah ok fair enough. I mean I'm not sure how the NFL could do it anyway... I mean they couldn't hold both games at the colleseum unless they were to put the games on separate days. But then have they ever done that? Seems to me to be breaking tradition to put the games on separate days. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ah ok fair enough. I mean I'm not sure how the NFL could do it anyway... I mean they couldn't hold both games at the colleseum unless they were to put the games on separate days. But then have they ever done that? Seems to me to be breaking tradition to put the games on separate days. 

They've never been on separate days as far as I know, but then, there's never been a reason to. I suppose if the Giants and Jets were both hosting a conference final, they may have to, but that hasn't happened. Extreme enviornmental reasons would be the only other reason I could think they'd have to move a game to another location or date.

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

They've never been on separate days as far as I know, but then, there's never been a reason to. I suppose if the Giants and Jets were both hosting a conference final, they may have to, but that hasn't happened. Extreme enviornmental reasons would be the only other reason I could think they'd have to move a game to another location or date.

I'm not sure of the logistics, but if they held one game at 1 and the other at 8:15, I think they might be able to do it in the same stadium.

Of course in the case of that scenario (Jets and Giants), The Linc isn't TOO far away, they might be able to move one of the games there with season ticket holders being given similar seats at the Linc. I wonder if the league has a contingency plan for such a situation, since there's going to be 2 stadiums being shared by NFC and AFC teams (the other in L.A.). At the moment, it's more likely to be an issue in L.A. than in N.J. At least until Rivers retires.

10 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'm not sure of the logistics, but if they held one game at 1 and the other at 8:15, I think they might be able to do it in the same stadium.

Of course in the case of that scenario (Jets and Giants), The Linc isn't TOO far away, they might be able to move one of the games there with season ticket holders being given similar seats at the Linc. I wonder if the league has a contingency plan for such a situation, since there's going to be 2 stadiums being shared by NFC and AFC teams (the other in L.A.). At the moment, it's more likely to be an issue in L.A. than in N.J. At least until Rivers retires.

Seems like logistics would be a nightmare, even with a 7 hour difference in start times. Even if they forgo putting either team's logos in the endzones and leaving the stadium neutral. The traffic would be brutal assuming one game ended around 4-4:30, with 60-70,000 fans trying to leave, and another 60-70,000 fans trying to get in. Factor in the home team winning the first game, and you have the Conference championship trophy celebration to follow. And imagine if the first game goes to OT. Yikes!

I would think the most logical solution would be to play one game Saturday, and one on Sunday.

9 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Seems like logistics would be a nightmare, even with a 7 hour difference in start times. Even if they forgo putting either team's logos in the endzones and leaving the stadium neutral. The traffic would be brutal assuming one game ended around 4-4:30, with 60-70,000 fans trying to leave, and another 60-70,000 fans trying to get in. Factor in the home team winning the first game, and you have the Conference championship trophy celebration to follow. And imagine if the first game goes to OT. Yikes!

I would think the most logical solution would be to play one game Saturday, and one on Sunday.

How have Eagles/Philly's games been when they're on the same day? They share some of the same parking lots, right?

3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

How have Eagles/Philly's games been when they're on the same day? They share some of the same parking lots, right?

They do. Both stadiums also have their own lots, and there is a lot of surrounding parking in Philly, plus, I believe there are areas for parking well away from the stadium, and a subway line that drops you off right on the corner of the Linc. Plus, CBP doesn't have the capacity of the Linc I don't think.

18 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Well the traffic is always brutal.  And the stadiums are like 15 miles apart.  

3 minutes ago, PhillyMG said:

Well the traffic is always brutal.  And the stadiums are like 15 miles apart.  

You're talking LA?

We were speaking hypothetically if both conference championship games were in the same stadium, like the Jets and Giants both hosting, or the Chargers and Rams in a few years when they share a stadium.

18 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Plus, CBP doesn't have the capacity of the Linc I don't think.

Just looked it up. 43,000 (and change) vs. 69,000 (and change).

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Just looked it up. 43,000 (and change) vs. 69,000 (and change).

Sounds right. One thing I don't miss as a STH, is the traffic leaving games. I remember one game, it took me 45 minutes just to get out of my parking spot.

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

Sounds right. One thing I don't miss as a STH, is the traffic leaving games. I remember one game, it took me 45 minutes just to get out of my parking spot.

When I was younger... say 20 years ago, I coveted having Eagles season tickets and got my name on the waiting list. Philly is 5 or 6 hours north for me, but at the time, I'd have happily made the trip 8 to 10 times per year. 20 years later, not so much... lol.

As much as I'd love to go to an Eagles game (and hope to do so before I leave this life) the drive up and back along with traffic and the crowds just make me want to sit at home and watch. I'm still hoping that my proposal to Jeff to move the team to Virginia Beach will get some traction... I won't even charge royalties to call them the "VaBeach_Eagles"... provided that I get a luxury box next to Jeff's (for life)…

4 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

When I was younger... say 20 years ago, I coveted having Eagles season tickets and got my name on the waiting list. Philly is 5 or 6 hours north for me, but at the time, I'd have happily made the trip 8 to 10 times per year. 20 years later, not so much... lol.

As much as I'd love to go to an Eagles game (and hope to do so before I leave this life) the drive up and back along with traffic and the crowds just make me want to sit at home and watch. I'm still hoping that my proposal to Jeff to move the team to Virginia Beach will get some traction... I won't even charge royalties to call them the "VaBeach_Eagles"... provided that I get a luxury box next to Jeff's (for life)…

Ha!

I was actually forced to give up my tickets for financial reasons, but I had thought of doing so anyway. That said, if you're only talking about one game to experience in your lifetime, then I'd definitely recommend it. Especially if you can get there with a few people where you can hang out and tailgate afterwards until traffic dies down a bit. I'd certainly try to get it off your bucket list.