hsfolk

Anyone going to New Orleans this weekend?

1 hour ago, bergey03 said:

new orleans has pretty hard core phans.   I wonder how hard tickets are to get there?

I looked at Stubhub thinking I might go. Was $160 in the end zone nosebleeds, which isn't terrible. Same seats a couple weeks ago for the Steelers were well over $220 each.

27 minutes ago, destructo said:

I looked at Stubhub thinking I might go. Was $160 in the end zone nosebleeds, which isn't terrible. Same seats a couple weeks ago for the Steelers were well over $220 each.

Nosebleed end zone In Philly are like $300 on StubHub for regular season.  They’d be $600 for a playoff game 😂 

A GREAT away location.

Especially for the younger alcoholic fan.

Been there 5x.  1 Eagles game, 1 jazz festival. 1 Mardi Gras (1988 or 89), 1 wedding and 1 football camp with the little sproles grandson.           

Each of the first 4 were its own form of craziness.  The 5th was a four day Bataan Death March of cold, rain, sobriety and kids' football.      

I’ll be there but that’s a given. 😂

1 hour ago, jamiller said:

The 5th was a four day Bataan Death March of cold, rain, sobriety and kids' football.   

Hahahah, phenomenal.

We have really great fans and a sold out season ticket base. But New Orleans isn't a huge market with a lot of money. I've had tickets in the terrace for 17 years. It was literally $15 per game before Katrina. It's still only $57. Face value for the playoffs are $95 for the same seats. A lot of the people in those sections are solidly middle to lower middle economic brackets. While we love the Saints, some people need the money. It's been my experience that the aftermarkets are driven by the pain threshold of the visiting teams. Those same tickets were going for $300 for the Pittsburgh game.

Combine affordable tickets with mild weather, world class dining, historic neighborhoods, great music all within walking distance to the stadium and well...it's a great place to visit. It's a great place to live for that matter. I hope some of you can make it and have a blast. I also hope you drown your sorrows in the French quarter after the game. But I do hope you have a good time. 🙂

If anyone needs recommendations for food and game day plans or whatever, hit me up. I'll do my best. 

I thought about it.  And then i remembered how much of a ish hole it was when i was there earlier this year.  Dirty. Unsafe. Had pickpockets try to get me twice.  Had a crack head screaming at me right in the middle of burbon street at 3 in the afternoon for not wanting to buy his product....

F that place. 

6 minutes ago, brennan77 said:

We have really great fans and a sold out season ticket base. But New Orleans isn't a huge market with a lot of money. I've had tickets in the terrace for 17 years. It was literally $15 per game before Katrina. It's still only $57. Face value for the playoffs are $95 for the same seats. A lot of the people in those sections are solidly middle to lower middle economic brackets. While we love the Saints, some people need the money. It's been my experience that the aftermarkets are driven by the pain threshold of the visiting teams. Those same tickets were going for $300 for the Pittsburgh game.

Combine affordable tickets with mild weather, world class dining, historic neighborhoods, great music all within walking distance to the stadium and well...it's a great place to visit. It's a great place to live for that matter. I hope some of you can make it and have a blast. I also hope you drown your sorrows in the French quarter after the game. But I do hope you have a good time. 🙂

If anyone needs recommendations for food and game day plans or whatever, hit me up. I'll do my best. 

Music and food. Top notch.  

I don't recall a lot of transplants there.  Do you have a resident pocket of fans from another team?    

7 minutes ago, Captain F said:

I thought about it.  And then i remembered how much of a ish hole it was when i was there earlier this year.  Dirty. Unsafe. Had pickpockets try to get me twice.  Had a crack head screaming at me right in the middle of burbon street at 3 in the afternoon for not wanting to buy his product....

F that place. 

That was me.  And you should have bought the damn beads. A-hole.

Just now, jamiller said:

Music and food. Top notch.  

I don't recall a lot of transplants there.  Do you have a resident pocket of fans from another team?    

Just the usual suspects from the success of the 80s and 90s. There's a noticeable presence of Pittsburgh, Dallas, and SF fans that tend to pop up when they are doing well. It's local people that grew up pulling for the front runners while the saints were terrible. That said, the last 15 years have brought a lot of transplants. But most of them get sucked into the Saints fan way. It's hard not to pull for them when you're here. 

Let me drop this in here too, since I am such an expert on NOLA.

1) They are some of the most hospitable people in America.  Like stay in their house hospitable, which I did, on 2 occasions, one with permission (kidding).

2) It is unique culturally.  Black, white, Cajun.  Freaking trippy world of influences.

3) It, like, several other cities I can think of, has an actual vibe to it.  Pretty neat.

4) As @Captain F said, you need to be careful in the Quarter.  This is THE largest living breathing tourist attraction in the US.  With bad people mixed in with the good.  And it has 1000 bars inside of 1129 feet of sidewalk, so you need to pay the F attention or you will fall into some crap.  It is a walking felony.

9 minutes ago, brennan77 said:

Just the usual suspects from the success of the 80s and 90s. There's a noticeable presence of Pittsburgh, Dallas, and SF fans that tend to pop up when they are doing well. It's local people that grew up pulling for the front runners while the saints were terrible. That said, the last 15 years have brought a lot of transplants. But most of them get sucked into the Saints fan way. It's hard not to pull for them when you're here. 

I figure not much on local support for the Eagles.  I figured on some DallAss fans.  Surprised at SF as not really a national team any more. 

13 minutes ago, jamiller said:

I figure not much on local support for the Eagles.  I figured on some DallAss fans.  Surprised at SF as not really a national team any more. 

The Saints were in the NFC West prior to the expansion which created the South. It used to be Saints, Rams, Falcons, and 49ers. So the connection there makes sense. Also, Dallas isn't too far away and Terry Bradshaw is from Louisiana. So it's not hard to see why some people here would latch onto those teams while they were playing well. 

Guy goes to Bourbon Street. Whines about crazy crap happening.

Probably goes to Vegas and is horrified by the immorality of gambling and borderline legal prositution.

as my dad says "here's your sign"

4 hours ago, DaBirdwatcher said:

Nosebleed end zone In Philly are like $300 on StubHub for regular season.  They’d be $600 for a playoff game 😂 

congratulations on your greater inflation and higher cost of living?  I guess???

20 minutes ago, destructo said:

Guy goes to Bourbon Street. Whines about crazy crap happening.

Probably goes to Vegas and is horrified by the immorality of gambling and borderline legal prositution.

as my dad says "here's your sign"

There is a difference between gambling and chicks then there is walking in streets covered in piss while people try to rob you in the middle of the afternoon.  The place is a dump.  

7 minutes ago, Captain F said:

There is a difference between gambling and chicks then there is walking in streets covered in piss while people try to rob you in the middle of the afternoon.  The place is a dump.  

Ok. I'm going to push back on this. As someone who works in the French quarter and downtown, I'll say that tourists complaining about the filth and smell of bourbon street is a little rich. They are the ones that put it there. It's washed away and sprayed with chemicals every night. And every day, more come to pour beer and bodily fluids everywhere. Now I am grateful for everyone's tax dollars, but don't come here, get plastered and participate in the debauchery and then fly home to complain about it.

I'm not saying that's you in particular. But you could have gone to many, many amazing places and had amazing experiences with amazing people who would have treated you as their own. Take a tip from a local next time. Don't go to bourbon street and expect anything but....bourbon street. Unless of course you are going to Galatoires. Then that's different. 🙂

Honestly, it's a damned shame that so many people allow a 4 block stretch of one street inform their opinion of an entire city. 

1 hour ago, destructo said:

congratulations on your greater inflation and higher cost of living?  I guess???

It wasn't a brag.  

1 hour ago, brennan77 said:

Ok. I'm going to push back on this. As someone who works in the French quarter and downtown, I'll say that tourists complaining about the filth and smell of bourbon street is a little rich. They are the ones that put it there. It's washed away and sprayed with chemicals every night. And every day, more come to pour beer and bodily fluids everywhere. Now I am grateful for everyone's tax dollars, but don't come here, get plastered and participate in the debauchery and then fly home to complain about it.

I'm not saying that's you in particular. But you could have gone to many, many amazing places and had amazing experiences with amazing people who would have treated you as their own. Take a tip from a local next time. Don't go to bourbon street and expect anything but....bourbon street. Unless of course you are going to Galatoires. Then that's different. 🙂

Honestly, it's a damned shame that so many people allow a 4 block stretch of one street inform their opinion of an entire city. 

Agree.

There is a LOT of life in NOLA. 

Besides Hurricanes and Lucky Dogs on Bourbon Street at 2 a.m. in a crowd of a bazillion people.  

A food and music scene that is pretty amazing.    

6 hours ago, Captain F said:

F that place. 

so in other words.... just like Philly? 

6 hours ago, The_Talon said:

so in other words.... just like Philly? 

More specifically,  Kensington.

hsfolk, I will be in NOLA for the game this weekend. Coming into town Saturday night and was wondering the same thing. If you hear of anything let me know. We plan on grabbing a few drinks Saturday night and of course tailgate before the game.

18 hours ago, jamiller said:

A GREAT away location.

Especially for the younger alcoholic fan.

Been there 5x.  1 Eagles game, 1 jazz festival. 1 Mardi Gras (1988 or 89), 1 wedding and 1 football camp with the little sproles grandson.           

Each of the first 4 were its own form of craziness.  The 5th was a four day Bataan Death March of cold, rain, sobriety and kids' football.      

i did the jazz festival a few years back when Phish played there.  Great time

Btw, if any of you make it down, make the ride uptown over to Stein's Market and Deli. He's from Philadelphia and is an Eagles fan. He also makes the best non poboy sandwiches in the city.