The Norseman

The Call People SHOULD be Complaining About

The Saints are blubbering about their missed PI call, but the one that really stood out to me this weekend was the roughing the passer call on Chris Jones when he literally just waved his hand in front of Brady's face.  That call doesn't happen and its end of drive for the Pats and likely game over.  On replay, Jones' hand literally never touched Brady's helmet or mask.  In a weekend with crazy calls, no calls and bad calls this one was by far the worst.  If they are going to throw the flag on every third play in this league then they need to have a replay for penalties.  

Now we get to watch the Patriots in another super bowl.  Andy Reid's legacy of a perennial big game loser continues.  Welcome back to 2005.

The refs were horrible but they were horrible during the regular season too. I think because it's starting to blatantly change the game outcome the league may finally do something

I'm sure each team has lost a game this season just because of the refs

Saints really did get screwed.  There was another blatant PI by the Rams that wasn't called on 3rd &10.  But that last call, man oh man, that was actually worse than Kevin Curtis non call.

All of that said, refs did not win this game for Rams.  Drew Brees played a flat out BAD GAME.

It’s a good reason to include plays like that for review eligibility. Maybe penalties 15 yards or greater should be subject to automatic review like turnovers or scoring plays. 

That said, I wish that rule would be taken out anyway. The QBs are way over protected. When it’s obvious a defender is swiping for the ball and hits the QBs head, so what? He’s wearing a damn helmet! If a defender blatantly runs his forearm into the QBs head, then maybe flag that, but get rid of inadvertent contact when it’s clear the defenders are going for the ball. 

unless the ref thught Brady took that hit to the face. The flag come from the ref behind Brady so he didn't have a clear shot at it. 

19 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

It’s a good reason to include plays like that for review eligibility. Maybe penalties 15 yards or greater should be subject to automatic review like turnovers or scoring plays. 

That said, I wish that rule would be taken out anyway. The QBs are way over protected. When it’s obvious a defender is swiping for the ball and hits the QBs head, so what? He’s wearing a damn helmet! If a defender blatantly runs his forearm into the QBs head, then maybe flag that, but get rid of inadvertent contact when it’s clear the defenders are going for the ball. 

I'm thinking a couple of years ago the league changed it to where inadvertent contact with the qb wouldn't be called but who the ef knows anymore.

8 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

I'm thinking a couple of years ago the league changed it to where inadvertent contact with the qb wouldn't be called but who the ef knows anymore.

I believe it was shortly after our 2010 game against the Colts when Graham sacked Manning on a 4th down but his arm lightly grazed his helmet, and we got flagged for RTP. Soon after, I had heard they were doing away with those calls, but I guess they decided not to. 

2 hours ago, mike030270 said:

The refs were horrible but they were horrible during the regular season too. I think because it's starting to blatantly change the game outcome the league may finally do something

I mean, the refs changed the outcome of that Pats Chiefs game at least twice.  Its getting really bad.

The officiating can no longer keep up with the pace and actions going on in the game.  Also exhibit bias and wouldn't shock me if they were ordered to "affect" certain outcomes as well.

Credibility of the game has become a major issue for me these days.  Doubt the ownership cares.  WWE makes money too...............................

2 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Saints really did get screwed.  There was another blatant PI by the Rams that wasn't called on 3rd &10.  But that last call, man oh man, that was actually worse than Kevin Curtis non call.

All of that said, refs did not win this game for Rams.  Drew Brees played a flat out BAD GAME.

They missed 2 facemask calls that could have resulted in more points for the Rams, multiple delay of games, one in particular was on a Saints TD and a Rams player getting kicked in the head after a play was already dead.  Both teams got screwed by bad officiating, one missed call was late and that gets all the press.  

The Saints blew a 13 point lead before the game came down to that missed call.

5 minutes ago, Kalmyr said:

They missed 2 facemask calls that could have resulted in more points for the Rams, multiple delay of games, one in particular was on a Saints TD and a Rams player getting kicked in the head after a play was already dead.  Both teams got screwed by bad officiating, one missed call was late and that gets all the press.  

The Saints blew a 13 point lead before the game came down to that missed call.

Yup.  But it really was one of the worst calls in playoff history, we do have to admit that.

the officiating is the way they want it so that they can have more control of the outcome of the game. If you clearly think football is still a team vs team game where the better team wins, you are clearly mistaken. This is my conspiracy theory and opinion :)

The NFL needs a ref in the booth who can correct penalty errors. Maybe even give coaches the availability of challenging penalties (either caller, or missed).

I think the NFL should allow one additional challenge per game specific to pass interference.  I wouldn't allow more than that because it will slow the game down and games are already running 3 and 1/2 hours.

I was rooting for the Rams big time because I can never cheer for the team that knocks my team out (sorry, I take it too personally) but none of the penalties were as game changing as that one. I mean, who says he's even going to catch the ball, but he got plowed over and it looked malicious. We've seen far less contact get called before. If I could have remained neutral in my feelings, I would agree the Saints definitely got Fed on that one. None of the other calls/missed calls were quite as game-changing as that one. 

If teams are given 2 challenges per game why shouldn't they be able to use them in any way they choose including penalties? What I don't get is why can teams challenge call or non-call on whether or not a qb throws beyond the line of scrimmage but can't challenge any other penalty. 

6 hours ago, mike030270 said:

Only two teams lost conference championships on bad calls :-)

1 minute ago, The Norseman said:

Only two teams lost conference championships on bad calls :-)

Could have been 4 different teams yesterday maybe if regular season games were officiated better🤷‍♂️

Saints and Chiefs both got screwed, but it’s not like Drew Brees didn’t heave a girly throw into the hands of the Rams defender, nor the Chiefs didn’t have four different 3rd down opportunities to stop the Patriots. You make your own luck, too.

8 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

Could have been 4 different teams yesterday maybe if regular season games were officiated better🤷‍♂️

I noticed that Eagles got the postseason offiating treatment starting with the Rams game. They then went on a 4-1 run. Had the officiating been that way all year, the Eagles would have been 13-3 during the regular season.

bottom line: Eagles are built to be an excellent postseason team, if they can get there first

even if you took away the no call PI, the should've still called a helmet to helmet hit since the NFL likes to pretend it cares about player's safety.

2 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

... because it will slow the game down ...

That's the problem, though. People want fast games, not accurately called games. Fast games will have more errors that could have been corrected. If the game takes 10 extra minutes, but is a better officiated game, wouldn't it be worth those extra 10 minutes?

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The NFL needs a ref in the booth who can correct errors. 

FYP

The NFL just needs a booth reviewing the replays we all see and over ruling the officials on the field.  It would not slow the game down like replay as they get multiple looks to make a decision.

7 minutes ago, hsfolk said:

even if you took away the no call PI, the should've still called a helmet to helmet hit since the NFL likes to pretend it cares about player's safety.

That play was barely helmet to helmet and would have been a weak penalty to call. The DPI was clear and blatant, so you're on firmer ground being upset by that. Those things happen though, even in a Super Bowl.

Go back to Super Bowl LII and the 2 point conversion after Zach Ertz's game winning TD. Corey Clement was CLEARLY hit before the ball got there, which caused the ball to be incomplete, but it wasn't called and had the potential to alter the outcome of the game.

But in the NFCCG last night, there were multiple calls on the other side that weren't called. So all in all, it was a poorly officiated game which affected both sides. So if you're going to be upset by the DPI, be equally upset by the facemask penalties that weren't called on the Saints.