The Norseman

The Call People SHOULD be Complaining About

The thing that I don't understand about the Rams game is that the official in charge of the call didn't throw a flag because he thought the ball was tipped.

That judgment isn't his call to make!

He should have thrown the flag. Then,  the official in charge of watching that area of the play could have overruled the PI on the grounds of a tipped pass.

Fixed games are fixed. Keep the games close so that the billion dollars in advertising aren't wasted. Advertisers want viewers. Viewers want competitive games. The NFL ensures that it happens.

Just now, downundermike said:

FYP

The NFL just needs a booth reviewing the replays we all see and over ruling the officials on the field.  It would not slow the game down like replay as they get multiple looks to make a decision.

I think you can leave the play challenge system as is, maybe tweak it in some way. Penalties though, need some sort of challenge, either by the coaches or by a ref in the booth. My ultimate solution though, would be to allow me to challenge penalties. I promise that I won't be biased for the Eagles (or against the Cowboys...). :angel:

With so many cameras and views available, just have another couple refs upstairs watching monitors isolated on the QB, etc and make the call from there and relay the message down to the field refs.

11 hours ago, The Norseman said:

The Saints are blubbering about their missed PI call, but the one that really stood out to me this weekend was the roughing the passer call on Chris Jones when he literally just waved his hand in front of Brady's face.  That call doesn't happen and its end of drive for the Pats and likely game over.  On replay, Jones' hand literally never touched Brady's helmet or mask.  In a weekend with crazy calls, no calls and bad calls this one was by far the worst.  If they are going to throw the flag on every third play in this league then they need to have a replay for penalties.  

Now we get to watch the Patriots in another super bowl.  Andy Reid's legacy of a perennial big game loser continues.  Welcome back to 2005.

I'm all for getting calls correct especially critical calls like those.  But if they are to look at all these plays, there needs to be a way to speed the replay process up.  Otherwise games will be 5 hours long because they're reviewing plays all the time.

I think either all calls should be challengable or none should be. I don’t think you selectively say it’s ok to challenge PI but not a facemask call or a holding call. Those missed calls can have the same effect on a game.

9 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Saints really did get screwed.  There was another blatant PI by the Rams that wasn't called on 3rd &10.  But that last call, man oh man, that was actually worse than Kevin Curtis non call.

All of that said, refs did not win this game for Rams.  Drew Brees played a flat out BAD GAME.

While it was a horrible call and the Saints got screwed, there is something that stood out to me.  It's the fact that CB play is really bad.  I know the rules are tough for secondary players and you can't touch the WR's and TE's but it seems a lot of these guys don't know how to make a play on the ball.  Joyner had a chance to make a play or intercept a deep ball that was thrown to Ted Ginn and he froze up, took an awful angle and missed badly.  Then on the missed PI call, the CB Robey-Coleman I think it was, could have had an easy pick 6 if he just looked back at the ball.  Maybe these guys are being taught that but look back once in awhile.

I'm about tired of hearing about this already. Of course it was bad no call but there was no guarantee the Saints score a TD to put the game away. Payton never showed been passing the ball anyway already well with fg range. He has 2 workhorse backs that could've ran the clock down. 

12 hours ago, Wormlegs said:

the officiating is the way they want it so that they can have more control of the outcome of the game. If you clearly think football is still a team vs team game where the better team wins, you are clearly mistaken. This is my conspiracy theory and opinion :)

I would tend to agree. Alhough in the Rams game. That was a bad and obvious DPI on that 3rd down call.

On the roughing the passer call in the Chiefs game. That gave Brady 15 yards and a 1st down and it would have been 3rd and long if they don't make it the game was essentially over. with less than 2 mins left. In addition on the offside by the DE on the last drive, they normally warn the guy before they call it. If they had warned the guy. The Chiefs would have kept the pick and game was over in favor of the Chiefs. This was all on the last drive(s) for the Pats. So Yes it's OK to call the game bad early in the season or early in  a plyaoff game. But not on the  last drives of games, where a "fix" or a "bad call" will decide the game in favor of one team over the other.

They should have not been given the roughing the passer penalty, could have stopped that drive and Chiefs win. In addition why don't you warn the guy if your offsides like they normally do and especially on the last drive in regulation? Chiefs  keep the picked ball game over to Chiefs.. Yes the fix was in for Brady. What else could it be. I just know :)

Poor Andy... may never win a SB. 1st it was Pats stealing the signs back in the 1st Pats Eagles SB, then McNabb puking on the 2 min drill at the end.  In addition, why was the defense not making some adjustments on Brady. The whole game Brady moved the short passes at will Romo was calling the plays. Reid's loyalty to Sutton the DC will cost it again like it cost it 2007 and now rhe 2008 season. If Romo knows what is being called why not the DC. In addition for the whole game, he had the same personnel out there. Why not try others  to switch it around...

Did anyone else hear on Sirius XM NFL channel the discussion there is some obscure rule in the NFL rule book that the commissioner can over turn the result of a game if something unfair or illegal occurred that caused one team to lose.    The argument was being made that the Saints / Rams result might be close to the commissioner activating the rule provision.     The picture that came to mind for me is Vince McMahon overruling a WWE match on Monday Night Raw taking the title belt from Stone Cold Steve Austin for some reason.    

18 hours ago, The Norseman said:

The Saints are blubbering about their missed PI call, but the one that really stood out to me this weekend was the roughing the passer call on Chris Jones when he literally just waved his hand in front of Brady's face.  That call doesn't happen and its end of drive for the Pats and likely game over.  On replay, Jones' hand literally never touched Brady's helmet or mask.  In a weekend with crazy calls, no calls and bad calls this one was by far the worst.  If they are going to throw the flag on every third play in this league then they need to have a replay for penalties.  

Now we get to watch the Patriots in another super bowl.  Andy Reid's legacy of a perennial big game loser continues.  Welcome back to 2005.

It was an incorrect call.

Jones karate chops down on Brady's shoulder/head/neck area and I think the ref thought that he hit him in the head or neck.

• If the clowns that run the league made all 15 yard and spot fouls review-able then this would not be a big deal.
    • Guess who has led the charge to change that rule for years... big hint: He is headed to his 12th Super Bowl next week.
      • They were too stupid to listen to him so now everyone who bet on the Saints had their money stolen

6 hours ago, skippyx said:

It was an incorrect call.

Jones karate chops down on Brady's shoulder/head/neck area and I think the ref thought that he hit him in the head or neck.

• If the clowns that run the league made all 15 yard and spot fouls review-able then this would not be a big deal.
    • Guess who has led the charge to change that rule for years... big hint: He is headed to his 12th Super Bowl next week.
      • They were too stupid to listen to him so now everyone who bet on the Saints had their money stolen

Despite the fact that he never touched Brady's head this is just a stupid rule.  Helmet to helmet hits are one thing, but calling a guy's hand hitting a QB in the helmet as 'roughing the passer' is ludicrous.

19 hours ago, BCEagle said:

Saints and Chiefs both got screwed, but it’s not like Drew Brees didn’t heave a girly throw into the hands of the Rams defender, nor the Chiefs didn’t have four different 3rd down opportunities to stop the Patriots. You make your own luck, too.

Thank you.

As much as people are crying over the Saints call, they still had plenty of opportunities to stop the Rams, whether it was in the 4th quarter or in overtime. It is not like this non call happened on the last play of the game where they would have scored to win.

These Saints players and fans are a bunch of babies. Michael Thomas moaning on Twitter for Goodell to replay the game or Saints fan looking to bring this to court is such nonsense.

Whether it was the non-PI call in the Rams-Saints game, or the phantom face-mask penalty in the Patriots-Chiefs game, both outcomes were due to questionable judgment calls at the end of regulation. Yet both the Saints and Chiefs had squandered chances to win the game outright, despite the calls going against them. Sometimes that's just the way the ball bounces.

16 hours ago, RepPhilly said:

I'm all for getting calls correct especially critical calls like those.  But if they are to look at all these plays, there needs to be a way to speed the replay process up.  Otherwise games will be 5 hours long because they're reviewing plays all the time.

Yea, I'm not saying they should review all calls, but there should be a higher power that is looking at it on video and can make a quick judgement call and change the outcome.  Either that or just call less penalties.  Where this doesn't help is in no call situations like the Saints game.  That's a whole different ball game. 

4 hours ago, The Norseman said:

Despite the fact that he never touched Brady's head this is just a stupid rule.  Helmet to helmet hits are one thing, but calling a guy's hand hitting a QB in the helmet as 'roughing the passer' is ludicrous.

THIS!  in the heat of the game the qb is going to get smacked in the head while a defensive player tries to get out of his block and disrupt the play, its not going to injure a qb and it certainly shouldnt be roughing the passer

Looks like sutton is already on the chopping block. You know Andy has to be pissed for this to be under consideration this soon after a game.

I still don't think any of Sunday's calls were worse than not giving us the ball after the opening KO fumble recovery in Dallas.

On 1/21/2019 at 3:31 PM, GroundAttack said:

unless the ref thught Brady took that hit to the face. The flag come from the ref behind Brady so he didn't have a clear shot at it. 

Maybe so, but the call is to be made only if they saw it, not off speculation. 

8 hours ago, hoosierdaddy said:

I still don't think any of Sunday's calls were worse than not giving us the ball after the opening KO fumble recovery in Dallas.

Agreed. 3 Eagles in the pile and the refs and the League Office couldn't conclude that an Eagle player recovered it.  And, the media hardly talked about that at all. That game cost us the division. So, it wasn't a meaningless game by any stretch.

On 1/21/2019 at 7:50 PM, The Norseman said:

agree, seemed the Chiefs were not gonna be permitted to win that game...

it will be nice when Tom Brady retires...not saying the fix is in...but

15 hours ago, hoosierdaddy said:

that game was fixed!

several bad calls in that game, please dont get me started!

15 hours ago, hoosierdaddy said:

That was the worst call in the history of professional sports. 

Not that I'm biased or anything. 

FYI from the same game but on Patrick Mahomes:

• 8:47 or so left in the 3rd quarter:
  • Mahomes gets karate chopped on the shoulder pad
  • Romo calls for roughing before he sees the replay
  • Mahomes tries to sell it to the ref as a penalty.

If its close enough that Romo thinks its a penalty and Mahomes is telling refs to call that sort of thing...

Also, the no-call on the pick play where Belichick threw his surface in anger after was a pathetic example of eating a whistle

BTW, this 'touchdown' was so bad that the NFL brought back replay the next year.

worst-sports-calls-6.jpg

On 1/21/2019 at 7:13 AM, mike030270 said:

The refs were horrible but they were horrible during the regular season too. I think because it's starting to blatantly change the game outcome the league may finally do something

I'm sure each team has lost a game this season just because of the refs

Starting to change outcomes??        Bad officiating has been blatantly affecting outcomes of games for 20-25 years now, and the league has buried it mainly through focusing the media and fans on blaming coaches for not "saving" challenges, and idiocy like that.

This game was essentially the NFL's chickens finally coming home to roost, as the most blatant possible call flat out decided the next most important game to the Super Bowl, with the whole country watching.        There were no other games or coaches' "challenges" to hide behind in this one.       

Every damn play should always have been reviewable, and the fact that it wasn't is still a complete disgrace.        They'll somehow f***ck this up too, making only "certain" penalties reviewable instead of every single one.          The games won't take longer because the coaches get no more challenges, but they'll have to be smarter when using them.       The league will find a way to get this wrong again, you can bet on it.