The Norseman

The Call People SHOULD be Complaining About

On 1/21/2019 at 6:10 PM, RepPhilly said:

I'm all for getting calls correct especially critical calls like those.  But if they are to look at all these plays, there needs to be a way to speed the replay process up.  Otherwise games will be 5 hours long because they're reviewing plays all the time.

No they won't because the coaches will have the same amount of 'challenges'.

Having said that, I completely agree that the procedure needs to be sped up, but it never will.      Why?        The reviews are a built in commercial break, and there's not a chance in hell they're ever going to give that up.       

Watch a college game, and the reviews are generally over before the pro referee even makes it to the sideline to go through the charade of finding out why the coach threw the asinine red flag and ran back to announce it to the crowd.          Then comes the commercial break, then back to watch the play another dozen times before we finally get the big decision.          The league loves that schiit.

On 1/22/2019 at 1:01 AM, skippyx said:

It was an incorrect call.

Jones karate chops down on Brady's shoulder/head/neck area and I think the ref thought that he hit him in the head or neck.

• If the clowns that run the league made all 15 yard and spot fouls review-able then this would not be a big deal.
    • Guess who has led the charge to change that rule for years... big hint: He is headed to his 12th Super Bowl next week.
      • They were too stupid to listen to him so now everyone who bet on the Saints had their money stolen

Yep, pretty simple - any personal foul or pass interference calls should always have been reviewable - think of the amount of game results that would be different today that a hideous call at the most critical possible time essentially decided.          So damn obvious.        

A cynic might think that the league likes to have that kind of control over outcomes that they would lose if that rule were in place.         But who's a cynic, anyway?

On 1/22/2019 at 9:32 AM, Pallidrone said:

Thank you.

As much as people are crying over the Saints call, they still had plenty of opportunities to stop the Rams, whether it was in the 4th quarter or in overtime. It is not like this non call happened on the last play of the game where they would have scored to win.

These Saints players and fans are a bunch of babies. Michael Thomas moaning on Twitter for Goodell to replay the game or Saints fan looking to bring this to court is such nonsense.

Not defending the Saints or their fans, but if that call is made the game is essentially over.       The Saints have 1st and goal, and can run it three times, likely getting in, but even if they took three knees and kicked the chip shot FG it leaves the Rams with about 20 seconds and no TO's - game over.

Listen, the bottom line is that the bad officiating has been way too big of a factor for way too long now, and it finally bit the league in the a** at the worst possible time and in the most blatant possible way. 

It doesn't help that most of the current nfl refs look to be about 60 years old.  I don't care how good of shape they are in,  they are clearly old enough to not have the best vision, reflexes, speed,  etc... to keep up with the players on the field.  

The game is too fast for them to accurately manage it without help from another ref, or group of refs in the booth.  

9 hours ago, mjkvol said:

Not defending the Saints or their fans, but if that call is made the game is essentially over.       The Saints have 1st and goal, and can run it three times, likely getting in, but even if they took three knees and kicked the chip shot FG it leaves the Rams with about 20 seconds and no TO's - game over.

Listen, the bottom line is that the bad officiating has been way too big of a factor for way too long now, and it finally bit the league in the a** at the worst possible time and in the most blatant possible way. 

That is complete speculation. Let's say they did call that penalty - What if Payton gets cute and decides to throw the ball and it is intercepted? What if the kicker misses the kick? What if there is 20 seconds left and the Rams return it for a TD?

Too many factors and time left on the clock to say what could have or would have happened. That fact is that the Saints defense ished the bed in the 4th quarter and Brees did in overtime. If the Saints were behind and this non penalty happened in the end zone with no time left on the clock, then they would have a legitimate beef. Right now they have no one to blame but themselves.

1 hour ago, Pallidrone said:

That is complete speculation. Let's say they did call that penalty - What if Payton gets cute and decides to throw the ball and it is intercepted? What if the kicker misses the kick? What if there is 20 seconds left and the Rams return it for a TD?

Too many factors and time left on the clock to say what could have or would have happened. That fact is that the Saints defense ished the bed in the 4th quarter and Brees did in overtime. If the Saints were behind and this non penalty happened in the end zone with no time left on the clock, then they would have a legitimate beef. Right now they have no one to blame but themselves.

No doubt, anything could have happened, which is always the case.       But you're allowing your hatred of the Saints to supersede the fact that if the proper call is made, the odds are enormous that NO wins the game.

And it doesn't change the fact that officiating has become way too much of a factor in playing a role in deciding games - way too big.          It seems that the bigger the game, the more time is spent on these endless reviews and the more butchered calls there are.

You can always say that there were other factors that cost a team the win, no doubt, but officiating just should never have become the huge factor that it has become - that's my point.

1 hour ago, mjkvol said:

No doubt, anything could have happened, which is always the case.       But you're allowing your hatred of the Saints to supersede the fact that if the proper call is made, the odds are enormous that NO wins the game.

And it doesn't change the fact that officiating has become way too much of a factor in playing a role in deciding games - way too big.          It seems that the bigger the game, the more time is spent on these endless reviews and the more butchered calls there are.

You can always say that there were other factors that cost a team the win, no doubt, but officiating just should never have become the huge factor that it has become - that's my point.

It is not hatred - I couldnt care less about the Saints or their whiny fans. I would say this same thing about the Eagles as well. I would be pissed, no doubt, but I would not blame the outcome of the game on one missed calls.They didn't lose that Cowboys game because of an awful call at the beginning of the game, they lost because they could not get off the field on 3rd down.

I do not dwell on bad calls, because bad calls happen in every game, in every sport and it is not a new thing. The only difference is that there are more camera angles and better technology to see these bad calls, where before all we had as fans was the one camera view that the broadcast showed us.

The problem is that no matter what you do, nothing will make everyone happy. Refs are human and plays happen in realtime. They are going to make mistakes. If you want to make sure that they did not make mistakes, then you have to have a review on all questionable plays. If they do that, dont complain when a game is 4 hours long.

39 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

It is not hatred - I couldnt care less about the Saints or their whiny fans. I would say this same thing about the Eagles as well. I would be pissed, no doubt, but I would not blame the outcome of the game on one missed calls.They didn't lose that Cowboys game because of an awful call at the beginning of the game, they lost because they could not get off the field on 3rd down.

I do not dwell on bad calls, because bad calls happen in every game, in every sport and it is not a new thing. The only difference is that there are more camera angles and better technology to see these bad calls, where before all we had as fans was the one camera view that the broadcast showed us.

The problem is that no matter what you do, nothing will make everyone happy. Refs are human and plays happen in realtime. They are going to make mistakes. If you want to make sure that they did not make mistakes, then you have to have a review on all questionable plays. If they do that, dont complain when a game is 4 hours long.

I don't disagree with anything you said.

One simple change that wouldn't lengthen games but would prevent MOST game changing calls like this one would be to simply make interference and personal foul penalties reviewable.         The coaches dont get any more challenges, so they just have to be smarter in how they use them.

This call would have been overturned in a second, and the  phantom face  mask on Brady is overturned.           It will never be perfect,  but if you can avoid that kind of embarrassment in big spots, it's well worth it. 

They'll never go all the way on it, as the NFL always manages to  f***k these things up.     Instead, they'll just complicate it further somehow.         I honestly believe they dont want to solve this, as the attention it brings is worth its weight in gold, and keeps the league in the headlines all week long.         You cant buy that kind of publicity, and interest is ginned up if snything.

On 1/21/2019 at 7:13 AM, mike030270 said:

The refs were horrible but they were horrible during the regular season too. I think because it's starting to blatantly change the game outcome the league may finally do something

I'm sure each team has lost a game this season just because of the refs

You would think, but I don't think anything happens as long as the NFL is making $$$.

On 1/21/2019 at 6:31 AM, GroundAttack said:

unless the ref thught Brady took that hit to the face. The flag come from the ref behind Brady so he didn't have a clear shot at it. 

Then keep the flag in your pocket.  

Jesus.