GroundAttack

What Chance Do You Give The Rams (If At All)?

The experienced vs the unexperienced. Anyone feel the Rams can win this game? The fact we all hate the Pats besides the patriot fans continue to rule the AFC year after year. Any of you give the Rams a shot at winning? I really like the BB vs McVay battle leading up to this game. The greatest coach in the league against the up and coming McVay who is smarter than some of you may think. We got some time to read into this but I can't help but to look ahead at the biggest game between the experienced vs the unexperienced.

I think they have a good chance. They need to lean on their running game of Gurley/Anderson and not have to depend on Goff to win them the game because if they do, then they will be in trouble. Also, which Rams defense is gonna show up- the one that stonewalled the Cowboys and Saints or the ones that were ranked near the bottom of the league during most of the season? 

I think they have a chance. Super Bowls haven’t been consistent blowouts since the 90’s or so. One here or there like the Hawks/Broncos a few years back, but many more nowadays are good competitive games. 

Hilarious that nobody you talk to thinks the Rams have a chance in Hell, yet they opened as faves in Vegas.

I think that the Rams have the better roster overall, and that can carry the less experienced team, provided they don't make many mistakes and don't go into a shell if they get a lead.

I'd expect the Rams to run plays on Offense at a little bit faster pace than normal, to protect Goff from having to read the disguises and audible too much without the benefit of McVay helping him through the headset. That headset cuts out at 15 seconds left on the play clock and if the Rams frequently let that go by and leave Goff alone vs. Belichick, then school is in, and Belichick will be taking him there. 

I would LOVE to see Aaron Donald have a Reggie White style Super Bowl.

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

I think that the Rams have the better roster overall, and that can carry the less experienced team, provided they don't make many mistakes and don't go into a shell if they get a lead.

I'd expect the Rams to run plays on Offense at a little bit faster pace than normal, to protect Goff from having to read the disguises and audible too much without the benefit of McVay helping him through the headset. That headset cuts out at 15 seconds left on the play clock and if the Rams frequently let that go by and leave Goff alone vs. Belichick, then school is in, and Belichick will be taking him there. 

Patriots are probably just as good as rams at O-Line and secondary.  I'm having a tough time finding the difference in these rosters other than Donald and Brady.  Problem is to beat Brady in the playoffs, you need to have a much better overall team.

The Rams have a good chance, but they need to lean on their run game until the Pats stop it.  I don't have confidence that Goff wins a shootout with Brady.  The Rams need to run a balanced offense and try to win the time of possession.  

Which Goff shows up? The one playing over his head or the mediocre Goff?

Also, does Todd Gurley play or does Todd Girly play? That can make a difference also.

I like the Rams a lot if they can get the Gurley that was destroying defenses earlier in the season as opposed to the one we've seen lately.

What the Rams have that's super key is Donald (and Suh) and a consistent push upfront. While no QB deals with pressure well, neither Brees nor Brady are particularly good with a pocket collapsing from the middle, with it evident by Brees play yesterday. Granted, no one is, but a QB like a Wilson, or a Mahomes, or even a Prescott have maneuverability. Brady/Brees are the types that can work the pocket and avoid outside pressure, or be savvy enough to get rid of the ball quick enough.  Things change when Donald blasts past the guard/center in milliseconds, with the only real option being to roll out. It's just not their wheelhouse.

I think if Donald plays how he did against the Saints, it'll be tough sledding for Brady. And I also think that's likely, he's a beast and a generational talent. What I think is up in the air is which version of the Rams offense we are going to see. If it's the one that played the Saints.. I don't think that's good enough to get past the Patriots no matter how well their defense plays. So I'm going to put it at 50/50.

Experience favours the Patriots.. but it also favoured them last season and we saw how that turned out. Heck, most teams outside of the Patriots were inexperienced entering this post season. But I don't think it was experience that caused the Chargers to lay down and die, and despite Mahomes being inexperienced you also got the feeling that if they started with the ball first in OT he would of marched down for the game winning TD. 

15 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Which Goff shows up? The one playing over his head or the mediocre Goff?

Also, does Todd Gurley play or does Todd Girly play? That can make a difference also.

There were times early in the season that Goff lived up to that #16.  In the 4th qtr of the NFCCG, that BIG throw he made while getting hit, he flashed that again.  Problem is we haven't really seen that Goff for 4 qtrs in several months and that's exactly what Bellicheck feeds off.  He spots Brady a couple possessions advantage and that's the game.

On the other side of ball there isn't a single player on that big name Rams defense, other than Donald, than you can really have faith in at the biggest moments.  I can't say i trust any facet of the Rams, including McVay who got away with murder when he settled for a FG yesterday.

Heck do, even trust CJ Anderson or limping Gurley over Michel/White/Burkhead?  I'm not sure I do at all.

I didn't think Goff or McVay would handle the pressure well in New Orleans and they definitely proved me wrong. 

If Wade Philips can put together a good defensive game plan I think they have a viable shot at winning the Superbowl. 

There's part of me that wants the Pats to win, so Bellicheat and his cabana boy ride off into the sunset...

1 minute ago, birdman said:

I didn't think Goff or McVay would handle the pressure well in New Orleans and they definitely proved me wrong. 

If Wade Philips can put together a good defensive game plan I think they have a viable shot at winning the Superbowl. 

There's part of me that wants the Pats to win, so Bellicheat and his cabana boy ride off into the sunset...

To go even further, I didn't think McVay could handle those personalities of Suh, Peters, and Talib. I was way off base and while I thought Goff could do well, I didn't think he was experienced enough to handle the playoffs.

Honestly... They have a great chance. They were much more impressive during the regular season and going in to the Super Dome and winning in that way was really an eye opener. I know the Pats have once again stepped on the accelerator come the play offs but the Rams ARE a better overall team. 

That said... This is the Pats and you know they are going to shut that run game down and they are going to have a plan for the Rams. McVay is going to have to be really creative the next two weeks. But hey I'm pretty sure the same was all said about us last year and look how that turned out. 

Seems to me they have the same recipe the eagles and giants supposedly did. A great front 4 who can get pressure without blitzing.

itll come down to who turns it over less. 

I’m leaning towards the rams but the patriots are Teflon so I’m not sure yet.

I think the Rams have a chance. Not sure of the % though.

I didn't realize NE had 3 good RB's. Kinda like our Iggles last year.

Early early pick:

Pats ~ 31

Rams ~ 24

28 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

I think the Rams have a chance. Not sure of the % though.

I didn't realize NE had 3 good RB's. Kinda like our Iggles last year.

Early early pick:

Pats ~ 31

Rams ~ 24

That's pretty close to how I feel. I think it's a Pats win by 7.  If I'm McVay, I'm creating a few plays with both CJ and Gurley in there at the same time.  But, I don't know how effective Gurley will be. I think that knee is going to need surgery after this season. The Rams are trying to say it's no big deal, but clearly he couldn't play much in the NFCCG.

The Rams have the more talented roster and the Pats historically plays very close Super Bowls. That said, I just can't see a scenario where the Rams pull this off. I'll be pulling hard for LA, that's for sure. 

1 hour ago, LacesOut said:

What if Goff wins one before Wentz!?!? 🤔🤣

What would happen? I think Goff has already passed Wentz in the QB rankings, but that can easily change next year. 

2 hours ago, birdman said:

I think McVay coach scared under pressure by settling for those fgs. Same against Dallas but the offensive talent prevailed.