Sack that QB

Downside to this Playoff overtime format?

Recommended Posts

Its perfect the way it is, scoring TD's is hard, if your defense cant stop a TD in such a critical moment of the game then thats on them,  they dont deserve to win.... and this conversation wouldnt even be a thing if the Chiefs won the toss and drove the distance against the Patriots D, just too many Patriot haters out there that are butthurtin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaliEagle said:

I liked it, too. But, now that I think about it, the kickers now are able to hit FGs from around 60 yards with relative ease. So, that rule would've been outdated. It's better now with needing a TD to win or you get a chance after a FG.

That makes sense...maybe like VA said above -- you end it with an 8 point score (offensive TD and 2 point pat), or the other team gets to possess the ball. But then it kinda feels like the first team to possess the ball is penalized.  I don't know....maybe just play a full OT quarter and see how it goes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I like the sudden death aspect. Plus, each team does have an equal opportunity to win, just score more than the other team within the first 60 minutes lol

Sudden death can be fun... in the right circumstance. But don’t you think the game would have been more entertaining if the Chiefs got the ball back? There were a million points scored in the 4th quarter and OT and for it to end just like that to me ruined the game. I wanted it to keep going. Part of the fun of sports is watching heavyweights lunch and counter punch and see who staggers first and no one was staggering so last night was like them "calling the fight” while two boxers are trading blows and no one has went down. It was a kick in the balls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Plache said:

I kinda liked it the way it used to be....if you give up a score first, you lose.  

When you say you "like it” do you mean from a fairness standpoint or entertainment standpoint. Because in scenario one you have the patriots drive down to the 35, kick a FG and win. Scenario two, say the Pats score a TD, Chiefs get the ball back, drive down, score a TD then go for 2 and win.

from an entertainment standpoint I don’t see how anyone could think scenario one would be more fun to watch then scenario two. Scenario two would be talked about for ages. 

I just want the more fun product to watch as possible and I don’t think enough people are looking at it from an entertainment perspective. People are looking at it from some odd mortality angle it feels like. "If you don’t wanna lose via coin toss, then stop them!” And that’s all well and good, but it doesn’t make for a better product.

i don’t think anyone would argue yesterday’s game would have been worse if the Chiefs got the ball back. None of you would have watched that game and went "man... the Chiefs getting the ball back here just ruined this game... and I was having a blast watching it, what a shame.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Sudden death can be fun... in the right circumstance. But don’t you think the game would have been more entertaining if the Chiefs got the ball back? There were a million points scored in the 4th quarter and OT and for it to end just like that to me ruined the game. I wanted it to keep going. Part of the fun of sports is watching heavyweights lunch and counter punch and see who staggers first and no one was staggering so last night was like them "calling the fight” while two boxers are trading blows and no one has went down. It was a kick in the balls.

I would have liked the outcome better if the Chiefs had won, but I'm just not in favor of mandating that 'everyone gets a turn'. The Chiefs had ample opportunity to secure the win. If there's the possibility of not getting the ball, there's incentive to not let a game go to overtime.

It sucks when the Eagles might be on the wrong side of that rule, but it's part of football. If they want to win, don't let a coin toss determine their fate (potentially).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I would have liked the outcome better if the Chiefs had won, but I'm just not in favor of mandating that 'everyone gets a turn'. The Chiefs had ample opportunity to secure the win. If there's the possibility of not getting the ball, there's incentive to not let a game go to overtime.

It sucks when the Eagles might be on the wrong side of that rule, but it's part of football. If they want to win, don't let a coin toss determine their fate (potentially).

I get that, but again, I'm asking you for a minute to take the morality cap off and just answer from an entertainment POV. Don't you think from a pure entertainment/fun factor perspective, it would have been a more fun and entertaining game had the Chiefs gotten the ball back?

Hell, they didn't even need to win. They could have driven back down to the red zone and Mahomes could throw an INT. Or they could have scored and went for 2 and not gotten it. But don't you think the game would have been more exciting that way? You wouldn't have been more entertained in that scenario?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think about that, but maybe make each team go for a 2 point conversion. Say it was 41-41. Obviously no defense, so you would want to see both offenses on the field in OT.

 

Or instead of a stupid coin flip, maybe have the team that had the lead for most of the game go first, or maybe the team with the greater TOP. Or it could be the team that scored more in the 2nd half or the 4th quarter.

 

I think that would result in less bishing about a coin toss deciding who wins the game. Now you know, if you want the ball in OT, have the lead for most of the game or the greater TOP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

take the morality cap off

There's no 'morality cap', it's an opinion... a preference. Just because my preference/opinion may differ from yours doesn't mean that there's some imaginary 'morality cap'. I find it more entertaining if there's potential 'jeopardy' in going to OT and the other team gets the ball first.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

There's no 'morality cap', it's an opinion... a preference. Just because my preference/opinion may differ from yours doesn't mean that there's some imaginary 'morality cap'. I find it more entertaining if there's potential 'jeopardy' in going to OT and the other team gets the ball first.

 

That’s what it felt,like you were getting at. Because you never framed it in a way of that you like the product better that way, at least that’s how it came off from reading the post. 

So just to specify.. say the Chiefs got the ball back and drove all the way down. Then pick your outcome. They score and win the game by going for 2. Or they turn the ball over in the red zone and the patriots win anyway. Your opinion would be that the game would have been more entertaining had the game just ended when the Patriots scored initially?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

When you say you "like it” do you mean from a fairness standpoint or entertainment standpoint. Because in scenario one you have the patriots drive down to the 35, kick a FG and win. Scenario two, say the Pats score a TD, Chiefs get the ball back, drive down, score a TD then go for 2 and win.

from an entertainment standpoint I don’t see how anyone could think scenario one would be more fun to watch then scenario two. Scenario two would be talked about for ages. 

I just want the more fun product to watch as possible and I don’t think enough people are looking at it from an entertainment perspective. People are looking at it from some odd mortality angle it feels like. "If you don’t wanna lose via coin toss, then stop them!” And that’s all well and good, but it doesn’t make for a better product.

i don’t think anyone would argue yesterday’s game would have been worse if the Chiefs got the ball back. None of you would have watched that game and went "man... the Chiefs getting the ball back here just ruined this game... and I was having a blast watching it, what a shame.”

It means I'm 46 (and getting older every day!) and for the majority of my life - that's how the NFL worked and I never had a problem with it.  It kinda seems like the *everyone gets a participation trophy* problem this country has had for a while.  There was already 60 minutes for someone to outright win the game........Not that I really care one way or the other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked OT before the rule change. I think sudden death is an exciting concept in itself. 

If we follow the logic of what would be more fun, then we may as well follow that to the point of saying the game will continue until such time that it becomes boring to watch. Or, the fun will continue until one team has all their players pass out from exhaustion. 

The real question is would threads like this exist if the preferred winner won on the opening possession instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rams-Saints overtime was great. They earned the win in OT by playing all 3 facets: defense gets the turnover, offense sets them up, then special teams kicks the FG.

Chiefs-Patriots OT: This is what you get when you sellout your defense to have a great offense. The Chiefs didn't even get a chance on offense. Yet both defenses were gassed. I feel like whichever team won the coin toss was going to win.

I like the current OT format. It is better than the old sudden death, where you could get just a couple first downs and kick a FG to win the game. Yet it still sucks if you are the team that gives up a TD without getting a chance on offense... I feel like they should get a chance to tie the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, RepPhilly said:

NFL will never do it but they should just copy what college football does for OT.  Instead of getting the ball at the 25 to start a possession, start it at the 40 or 50 yard line.

College football’s overtime largely removes special teams play from the game, something I think is a bad thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I would have liked the outcome better if the Chiefs had won, but I'm just not in favor of mandating that 'everyone gets a turn'. The Chiefs had ample opportunity to secure the win. If there's the possibility of not getting the ball, there's incentive to not let a game go to overtime.

It sucks when the Eagles might be on the wrong side of that rule, but it's part of football. If they want to win, don't let a coin toss determine their fate (potentially).

The team that loses the coin toss can also make a play on defense or special teams that allows them to win the game, as was the case with the Rams in this season’s NFC Championship Game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CHIP72 said:

The team that loses the coin toss can also make a play on defense or special teams that allows them to win the game, as was the case with the Rams in this season’s NFC Championship Game.

I also think back to the Cardinals vs the Packers, several years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I also think back to the Cardinals vs the Packers, several years ago.

Matt Hasselbeck approves this message. 

 

:whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Matt Hasselbeck approves this message. 

 

:whistle:

The year I'm talking about was 2009. Wasn't the Hasselbeck game several years earlier? Maybe 2003 or so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The year I'm talking about was 2009. Wasn't the Hasselbeck game several years earlier? Maybe 2003 or so?

Yeah, I remember both very well. Just bringing up another incident lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Yeah, I remember both very well. Just bringing up another incident lol.

Oh ok, if I'd been paying attention, I'd have gotten that... damned Angry Birds Transformers distracting me! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have long advocated going to College OT, but modifying it for the NFL.

In this version of OT, teams start on the opponent's 40 yard line instead of the 25 as in college.

The first OT you can still kick the extra point, but starting with the second OT you MUST go for two following a TD.  Simple enough.

For the conference title games and Super Bowl ONLY (because of having the extra week between those games and the Super Bowl and the SB obviously being the last game), you could have the teams first play a 20-minute mini-game (two 10-minute halves) that is NOT sudden death with if still tied THEN going to College OT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only change would be that both teams should get the ball on offense. If neither scores a TD, on first drive then it goes the full 15 minutes.  I hate seeing sudden death playoff games decided on OT field goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only downside is the nature of the game itself. Essentially, the OP's proposed format is like basketball's. But the risk of injury, from fatigue or just from playing, is just too great to keep a game potentially going for that long.

Personally, while I'd like to see both teams get a possession, I'm not married to the idea. I don't mind the way it is formatted now.

What I do mind is the coin toss. Why do we still have this archaic near-ritual, based totally on random luck, deciding who gets the ball?

My solution is to either: 1) Earn the right to possess the ball based on Total Net Yards gained during the game (stats are tabulated instantaneously, so it could quickly be determined who won the yardage battle or 2) Home team gets the ball, based on having earned it during the season, just as they earn home field advantage.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:10 PM, CHIP72 said:

College football’s overtime largely removes special teams play from the game, something I think is a bad thing.

Maybe I've missed them but I don't remember seeing very many punt returns for TD's and definitely not KO returns for TD's.  

To me there is no need for KO's and punts in OT.  Each team gets at least 1 chance and let's decide a winner.  Not sure if there are any but I've never heard any complaints at all about NCAA football's OT rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 1:10 PM, CHIP72 said:

College football’s overtime largely removes special teams play from the game, something I think is a bad thing.

And is MUCH more fair, which is why it's used in College and also High School football.

As said, modify it for the NFL by starting on the opponent's 40 and require going for two after a TD starting with the second overtime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 3:08 PM, RepPhilly said:

Maybe I've missed them but I don't remember seeing very many punt returns for TD's and definitely not KO returns for TD's.  

To me there is no need for KO's and punts in OT.  Each team gets at least 1 chance and let's decide a winner.  Not sure if there are any but I've never heard any complaints at all about NCAA football's OT rules.

You’ve never seen fumbles on kickoffs or punts, or punts downed inside the 10 yard line that give a defensive team a chance at a safety or good field position on the next possession if they get a stop?  By eliminating the opening overtime kickoff and all punts, field position considerations are taken out of the equation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now