Sack that QB

Downside to this Playoff overtime format?

OT rules as is would be fine if other rule changes in recent years hadn't slanted the game heavily in favor of the offense.
Under the new offense-friendly rules, winning the coin flip gives a team the edge.

They should change it so they play one full period regardless of who scores and how much.
And if it ends in a tie, so be it. At least both teams would have a chance to play.

On 1/29/2019 at 12:06 PM, CHIP72 said:

You’ve never seen fumbles on kickoffs or punts, or punts downed inside the 10 yard line that give a defensive team a chance at a safety or good field position on the next possession if they get a stop?  By eliminating the opening overtime kickoff and all punts, field position considerations are taken out of the equation.

Yes, but how often does that really happen?

In the College OT format, a lost fumble or interception by the team going first means the team going last in the OT period only has to get a field goal to win the game (if such was not returned for a TD by the defense).  If the team going last fumbled and the other team had scored, the game ends right there.  

On 1/23/2019 at 1:19 PM, rocketman44 said:

The only downside is the nature of the game itself. Essentially, the OP's proposed format is like basketball's. But the risk of injury, from fatigue or just from playing, is just too great to keep a game potentially going for that long.

Personally, while I'd like to see both teams get a possession, I'm not married to the idea. I don't mind the way it is formatted now.

What I do mind is the coin toss. Why do we still have this archaic near-ritual, based totally on random luck, deciding who gets the ball?

My solution is to either: 1) Earn the right to possess the ball based on Total Net Yards gained during the game (stats are tabulated instantaneously, so it could quickly be determined who won the yardage battle or 2) Home team gets the ball, based on having earned it during the season, just as they earn home field advantage.

I don’t know if the injury rate would increase by that much. I think people just assume that, but I’m not sure if studies were done it would show that in any kind of results. I mean, players can get hurt on any play.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:06 PM, CHIP72 said:

You’ve never seen fumbles on kickoffs or punts, or punts downed inside the 10 yard line that give a defensive team a chance at a safety or good field position on the next possession if they get a stop?  By eliminating the opening overtime kickoff and all punts, field position considerations are taken out of the equation.

Yeah that's a good point.

I don't know but I just like the college OT rules much better.  Simple and both teams get a fair shot.

15 hours ago, RepPhilly said:

Yeah that's a good point.

I don't know but I just like the college OT rules much better.  Simple and both teams get a fair shot.

Exactly.  Modify it for the NFL where teams start on the opponent's 40 and starting with the second overtime teams have to go for two after a TD.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:02 PM, Wallyhorse said:

Exactly.  Modify it for the NFL where teams start on the opponent's 40 and starting with the second overtime teams have to go for two after a TD.

Works for me.  In this day and age where all anybody does is complain and whine, it would be one less thing to complain about.