Wallyhorse

Lawsuits field from Rams-Saints game seeding do-over

1 minute ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Well to be fair if the defender played the ball it probably would of been a pick anyways

Yeah. Could have been 6 the other way.

On 1/22/2019 at 8:03 PM, SBorBust said:

Saints fans have surpassed Vikings fans in terms of being pathetic.

I'm not sure about that, the Vikings fans cried about everything. While the saints need to let this go they at least have some reason to cry lol

26 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

While the saints need to let this go they at least have some reason to cry lol

Their crying would be a bit more valid if they were also complaining about the missed calls that went in their favor? They're ignoring those though and are focusing on a single call, saying that it alone cost them a parade. As if that no call ended the game and after it, they had no opportunity to win.

Just now, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Their crying would be a bit more valid if they were also complaining about the missed calls that went in their favor? They're ignoring those though and are focusing on a single call, saying that it alone cost them a parade. As if that no call ended the game and after it, they had no opportunity to win.

Agreed, I was basically just saying they have more reason then the Vikings who just flat out sucked and were only in the game against us for like 5 min

2 hours ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

I think we see it that way because the same crap except worse happened to us, just at  a different time. See: The Eagles-Cowboys game two.

Besides, Saints players were talking all that good sh--, make sure you blow a team out if you don't want the refs to affect the outcome.

The fact that you think a missed call in a regular season game even remotely compares to what just happened proves my point. Now I’m even more convinced that you guys would lose your sheet if the same thing happened to the Birds. 

5 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

The fact that you think a missed call in a regular season game even remotely compares to what just happened proves my point. Now I’m even more convinced that you guys would lose your sheet if the same thing happened to the Birds. 

Do you think that games won or lost in the regular season can affect how the post-season is shaped/structured?

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Do you think that games won or lost in the regular season can affect how the post-season is shaped/structured?

Indirectly, yes. There’s also a million other things that happened during the regular season that shaped/structured the post season. That call directly impacted which team went to the SB. There’s no comparison. 

3 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

Indirectly, yes. There’s also a million other things that happened during the regular season that shaped/structured the post season. That call directly impacted which team went to the SB. There’s no comparison. 

Indirectly? I don't think that the 'no clear recovery' alone altered the winner of that game, though officiating in that game was HORRIBLE, but pretend for a moment that the Eagles get that ball and go on to score a TD and eventually win that game (due in large part to that TD). Then, the rest of the season (for all 32 teams) plays out as it actually did.

The Eagles finish the season at 10-6, the Cowboys finish the season at 9-7. The Eagles play the Seahawks on Wildcard weekend and the Cowboys play the Bears.

That's all 'fantasy' at this point because the season ended how it ended, and as pissed as I was/am about officiating, I accept the reality of 'it is what it is'. But things in regular season games DIRECTLY affect how the post-season is shaped.

Ultimately though, it's on the coaches and players to overcome bad officiating and win the games on the field. Don't let the outcome of games to be altered/decided by the officials.

9 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Indirectly? I don't think that the 'no clear recovery' alone altered the winner of that game, though officiating in that game was HORRIBLE, but pretend for a moment that the Eagles get that ball and go on to score a TD and eventually win that game (due in large part to that TD). Then, the rest of the season (for all 32 teams) plays out as it actually did.

The Eagles finish the season at 10-6, the Cowboys finish the season at 9-7. The Eagles play the Seahawks on Wildcard weekend and the Cowboys play the Bears.

That's all 'fantasy' at this point because the season ended how it ended, and as pissed as I was/am about officiating, I accept the reality of 'it is what it is'. But things in regular season games DIRECTLY affect how the post-season is shaped.

Ultimately though, it's on the coaches and players to overcome bad officiating and win the games on the field. Don't let the outcome of games to be altered/decided by the officials.

There’s so many ‘ifs’ in your scenario, which is why it doesn’t have direct impact. 

Wait, why and I even arguing this point. It’s ridiculous. One play happened in the regular season the other occurred in the final seconds of the NFCCG. Just stop it. 

24 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

There’s so many ‘ifs’ in your scenario, which is why it doesn’t have direct impact. 

Wait, why and I even arguing this point. It’s ridiculous. One play happened in the regular season the other occurred in the final seconds of the NFCCG. Just stop it. 

No there isn't, there's only one. IF the Eagles beat the Cowboys, THEN the rest of the season plays out EXACTLY as it did.

The Eagles end 10-6, the Cowboys end 9-7.

With that as the ONLY 'IF', does THAT change the layout of the post-season?

You don't even have to 'argue' anything. Just answer 'yes' or 'no'.

1 hour ago, BKLYNYG said:

Um. Context matters. Maybe you weren't aware, but if not for a very certain person sparking the Eagles to play out of their minds, the Eagles were basically dead in the water after that. It was like a 9/10 chance for elimination. That's why I mentioned that.

I never said we wouldn't be mad about it. Any fanbase would. I said I think the reason we don't feel bad for it happening to another team is because that kind of crap happened to us too, and because the Saints players were complete dopes about it.

For example before the season they talked about how they would have just completely destroyed the Eagles if they played us last year, when Nick Foles established the greatest passer rating in playoff history. Then, due to beating the Eagles with half the team from last year on injured reserve (I'm not even trying to make excuses, or exaggerating), they decided to talk all that crap, and then lost on a karma call in the following game. So much of a karma call one of the Rams players literally made it a point to shove it in their face.

So long story short, no, we don't feel bad for them. But hell yes we'd be mad, I'm not denying that. If say another team that was more humble that we liked more had it happen to them...Browns, Chargers, Colts, you get the idea. We'd probably sympathize more.

4 hours ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

But hell yes we'd be mad, I'm not denying that. If say another team that was more humble that we liked more had it happen to them...Browns, Chargers, Colts, you get the idea. We'd probably sympathize more.

This is my entire point. We’re on the same page. 

18 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Saints forums are fun to read right now.

You ain't neva lie!

I didn't join their boards, like I did Chicago. I wanted so bad because the arrogance of that fanbase... you would have thought they were in the dance every year.  They gave us ZERO shot to win vs them, and pretty much trash us the entire week.

So I lose NO sleep over them getting screwed! There were guys on there talking about giving up watching the Saints anymore.

21 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I watched Total Access last night (I hardly ever watch anymore), to see if they would cover this story. You'd think they'd at least mention it. I only watched about 45 minutes, but didn't mention it once in those 45 minutes.

They are good about ignoring things they don’t want to discuss 

I think what we all can agree on is that the officiating sucks right now. It did all year, and their ineptitude at critical moments caused changes in the outcomes of a number of games. The NFCCG is a prime example. There's a lack of continuity in the officiating from week to week. I think that's the biggest problem. If every crew called the game in close to the same way, our expectations could reasonably be set, and would be mostly met. At least it would seem fair and even handed. As it is, we don't know what to expect from the officials except problems.

Well, one change that I think that the NFL should implement with regard to officiating, is to elect entire crews to the post season rather than make 'all-star' crews who never work together. Maybe if an officiating crew who'd worked together all season long had been doing the NFCCG, the DPI would have been called.

That is very interesting. It is difficult to tell if the ball was tipped because of where he pauses it then it goes by so quick once the clip resumes, but the hands to the face and hold we’re pretty clear. Of course, those will never be talked about. 

Even if the ball was tipped helmet to helmet should’ve been called. But wouldn’t a personal foul trump the holding or hands to the face penalty?

These kind of things always come down to a myopic logical fallacy.

• The Saints and Rams did not meet up for 1 play to decide who goes to the Super Bowl.
  • The referees did not make a singular mistake in a vacuum on Sunday.

Does anyone need a list of the pro-Saints calls:

• There were 2 Saints plays where the ball was CLEARLY snapped after the play clock hit 00.
    • Suh was pointing at the clock before the sanp on one of them.
  • The Goff face mask no-call may have cost the Rams 4 points.
    • I am pretty sure there was another missed face mask
  • EVERY SINGLE RAMS OFFENSIVE PLAY involved Saints (fans) cheating
    • The fans had numerous whistles that were blown constantly when the Rams had the ball
      • The officials did nothing to stop the cheating that was so obvious that millions of viewers were aware of it
        • Mike Turico was a Saints Stooge for a while pretending it was 1 idiot with a cardboard whistle hat
          • Even he later admitted there were real whistles (see his Twitter feed)

This was one of the most one-sided refereed games in NFL history in the Saints favor until that blown call on the missed PI against NRC.

• You could see Goff having to cover his ear holes from the illegal noise.
    • The refs just let it happen.

Those same whistling noise-thugs and their accomplices now want to sue the NFL over cheating that was out of control?

6 hours ago, pisceschica said:

Even if the ball was tipped helmet to helmet should’ve been called. But wouldn’t a personal foul trump the holding or hands to the face penalty?

No, they’re still offsetting. A PF only overrides another foul if the other team has a minor five yard type penalty like a false start, but the defender still clobbers the QB anyway. 

Tony Dungy take

All you have to do is look at history,” Hall of Fame coach Tony Dungy said on Friday’s PFT Live. "There’s been all kinds of bad calls, non-calls. It happens all the time. It will never be remembered if you win the Super Bowl.”

Dungy pointed out that, as Saints fans continue to be up in arms over the call that wasn’t, the Saints benefitted from a similar error nine years ago in the NFC Championship against Minnesota.

"The Vikings got an apology on a Brett Favre interception that should have been roughing the passer,” Dungy said. "Wasn’t called. And the Saints go to the Super Bowl. They’re not giving their Super Bowl trophy back and saying, ‘You know what? That was roughing the passer. We should play that game over.’”

1 hour ago, eagles_crazy said:

"The Vikings got an apology on a Brett Favre interception that should have been roughing the passer,” Dungy said. "Wasn’t called. And the Saints go to the Super Bowl. They’re not giving their Super Bowl trophy back and saying, ‘You know what? That was roughing the passer. We should play that game over.’”

Pereira talks about controversial calls in Saints-Vikings overtime

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 27, 2010, 10:41 PM EST

During the on-air portion of the "Official Review” segment of NFL Network’s Total Access, V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira admitted that a flag should have wiped out the third-quarter interception thrown by Vikings quarterback Brett Favre, due to a low hit applied by Saints defensive end Bobby McCray.  (MDS has more on the non-call right here.)

It’s possible that referee Pete Morelli swallowed the whistle because he had called a roughing the passer penalty only a few plays earlier, extending the drive.  But Pereira explained that the driving of Favre into the ground was "poster-child” evidence of a personal foul, despite the fact that FOX’s Troy Aikman strongly disagreed with the call.  So there should have been no need for a make-up call — especially since the hit to Favre’s lower legs was obvious.

During the online-only portion of the "Official Review” feature, Pereira talked about several other disputed plays from the game.  Specifically, he addressed two key decisions from the sole drive of overtime.

First, he discussed a catch by Saints receiver Robert Meachem that moved the game-winning field goal attempt to 40 yards.  The ball seemed to hit the ground — and move — as Meachem tried to secure possession.  Pereira explained that insufficient visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, regardless of whether the call on the field had been that the pass was complete or incomplete.

In this regard, we agreed with the decision.  Though it appears that the call was wrong, the "100 drunks in a bar” standard requires clear evidence to overturn the real-time ruling.  And clear evidence was not available.

Pereira also talked about the key fourth-down plunge by running back Pierre Thomas, during which the helmet of linebacker Chad Greenway seemed to dislodge the ball after Thomas achieved forward progress.  Pereira again explained that insufficient visual evidence existed to permit an accurate re-spotting of the ball, even if it were determined that he lost possession and then recovered possession while in the air.  (As to the possible loss of possession, Pereira accurately observed that Thomas might have maintained sufficient possession with his right hand.)  The problem is that Thomas was in the air, which makes it virtually impossible to establish the kind of reference point needed to spot the ball anywhere other than where it had been spotted on the field.

So, again, the call might have been bad, but the application of the replay rules was accurate.

Finally, Pereira said nothing at all about a pass interference call on Vikings linebacker Ben Leber on a ball that seemed to be uncatchable — unless Saints tight end David Thomas were 10-feet tall.

Of course, nothing said by Pereira or anyone else after the fact really matters.  Vikings fans will continue to believe that their team got a raw deal, and Saints fans will continue to point to the final score and/or the Vikings’ many turnovers and/or calls that went against the home team. 

Still, we hope that the NFL will aspire to reach a level of officiating that allows no team to legitimately believe that they lost a game due to anything other than the superiority of the opponent.  We also hope that, someday, the NFL will reach that goal, on a consistent basis.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/27/pereira-talks-about-controversial-calls-in-saints-vikings-overtime/

Favre says ref apologized for missing a hit in NFC Championship

New light has been shed on the way the Saints roughed up Brett Favre in the 2010 NFC Championship Game after the revelation that cash bounties were offered to any Saint who could knock Favre out. The Saints didn’t succeed in getting Favre out of the game, but they did hit him repeatedly, get flagged for some hits and fined for others. And Favre says the referee apologized to him for missing one hit that was fined and not flagged.

That hit came from Bobby McCray, who drilled Favre below the knee on a play on which Favre threw an interception. It was a brutal shot and a clear violation of the rules, as NFL V.P. of Officiating Mike Pereira admitted after the game: "It is the kind of hit that we want called because, clearly, we’re trying to protect the knees.”

Peter King of Sports Illustrated, who has been looking back on that game as he reports on the Saints’ bounty scandal, said today on the Dan Patrick Show that Favre told him referee Pete Morelli apologized for missing the call.

"Favre told me that Morelli apologized to him for not calling the high-low call that basically started this whole story, and caused Saints players on the sidelines, at least one, to be rejoicing and slapping hands and another one to say ‘We got him, we got him’ and another one to say, ‘Pay me my money,'” King said. "Morelli, by the way, through the league, denies telling that to Favre. . . . Favre said that Morelli apologized to him for missing that call, which was a blatant, horrible missed call, and Morelli denies it.”

Morelli may deny apologizing, but he should be sorry for a huge missed call in a huge situation. At SI.com on Tuesday, King wrote about just how big that missed call was. A roughing the passer penalty would have wiped out Favre’s interception and moved the Vikings into easy field goal range with the score tied late in the third quarter, meaning they likely would have scored at least three points there in a game they ended up losing in overtime. It’s entirely possible that the Vikings, not the Saints, would have gone onto the Super Bowl if Morelli hadn’t blown that call.