Iron_Eagle_04

Should teams be able to challenge penalties or non calls?

In the wake of the Saints non call fiasco,  I just couldn't help but think about how if coaches can challenge spots,  catches,  or fumbles,  why not penalties too?  As we saw in the other day's games,  penalties and bad calls can change the outcome of a game.   this could very well eliminate a lot of ghost holding calls,  bad pass interference calls.

Of course,  there should be limits on it.  Obviously you don't want every play challenged.  

But it seems to me that some options for teams who are the victims of bad calls or non calls should be available.  

What do you guys think?  

I don't care about the Saints. So my opinion isn't for them.

Now, about that 'no clear recovery' BS... I want to sue the NFL and make them re-play the final part of the season from that point forward. We got robbed!!

Oh, and yeah, I don't have a problem with some system to correct bad and non-calls. Be it a coach challenge or a ref in the booth.

Yes they should be challengable without giving teams more challenges per game. 

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Yes they should be challengable without giving teams more challenges per game. 

This. 

They also need to make sure what's being challanged is specific too. The last thing you want to see is a defense giving up a big 1st down at a key point in the game and then having their coach throw the challange flag and saying "someone on the offensive line was holding." 

Maybe have all 15 yard penalties either an automatic booth review or if they feel that it will drag the games on too long, maybe all 15 yard penalties in the final 2 minutes of each half are automatically reviewed? Again, I would strictly keep this to 15 yard penalties only. I don't know, something has to be done about the refs incompetence on a lot of these calls though.

In this case, I heard that the ref thought the ball was tipped, which is why he didn’t call pass interference.  In this case, that should be reviewable since you’d review if it was tipped. You can review it if pass interference is called but the ball was actually tipped.

In terms of judgement calls, they shouldn’t be reviewable.

I don't like it. I don't think penalties should be reviewable. It's useless because I feel like they won't overturn calls made on the field. The refs need to be held more accountable for blown calls. The key is they need to get the initial call on the field correct. I feel like replay becomes too much of a crutch: They will call something to initiate a review then let replay sort it out, rather than working toward making the correct call on the field.

4 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Oh, and yeah, I don't have a problem with some system to correct bad and non-calls. Be it a coach challenge or a ref in the booth.

Adding a ref in the booth isn't a bad idea. He could buzz down to the field if he sees a call they missed or messed up.

No....penalties and non-calls shouldn't be reviewed......I don't want everything decided on a review, unless they give coaches 6 reviews per game, 3 per half,  just like timeouts.  And eliminate the "booth review" under 2 minutes.  If coaches burn up challenges then it may cost them later in the game.  I don't want a "ref in sky" calling down on the field.......there are penalties on almost every play......how the hell can he determine when to call down?

With that being said, I think the NFL needs to do a few things to reduce these kind of controversies.

First, start off with having full time refs and train, train, train.  The game may be getting too fast for these guys to recognize what they're seeing if they don't train all week.

Second, stop trying to make the game ALL ABOUT OFFENSE.  Eliminate some of these ridiculous ticky tack defensive penalties like illegal contact.  or change the yardage penalized.  When it's 3rd and 25 and somebody bumps a receiver, it's an automatic first down.  Make it half the distance to a first down and replay the down, 2nd offense and it's a first down.

The NFL should also do a complete review and updating of the rule book. 

13 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Now, about that 'no clear recovery' BS... I want to sue the NFL and make them re-play the final part of the season from that point forward. We got robbed!!

Yeah, that is BS. Even if the Eagles had picked it up it wouldn't have been considered a recovery as they whistled the game dead before they even had a chance.

On 1/23/2019 at 7:19 AM, Dawkins 20 said:

This. 

They also need to make sure what's being challanged is specific too. The last thing you want to see is a defense giving up a big 1st down at a key point in the game and then having their coach throw the challange flag and saying "someone on the offensive line was holding." 

Yeah, i’d Say you could only as for reviews on called penalties, not uncalled penalties 

52 minutes ago, Stephen1 said:

Yeah, i’d Say you could only as for reviews on called penalties, not uncalled penalties 

Good grief, if they could challenge uncalled penalties the game would never end lol. That also means that no call on the Rams still doesn't get reviewed

I think they should allow only one additional challenge that a coach can use for either a call or a non-call for a penalty the equivalent of 15 yards or more.

So, you can review the following:  roughing the kicker/punter, roughing the QB, illegal hit, pass interference or personal foul facemask.  

Also, they need to stop that no clear recovery BS. If there are 3 players on the same team on top of the ball and no players from the other team in the pile, it's safe to conclude that the team with 3 players on the ball recovered it. It's called logic.  

Also, the NFL needs better refs. It's time for them to make them go through ref training camps with cut down dates.  They should put Clete  Blakeman on waivers.

No way. You could find a penalty on just about every play; holding, illegal contact, hands to the face.

We don’t need to reinvent the wheel because Saints fans are upset. The refs weren’t blowing the whistle in the 4th quarter for either team. No one got robbed, it looked like a bang-bang play at full speed. They also missed the Goff facemask which would have made it 1st and Goal. Saints fans seem to forget about that.

8 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Good grief, if they could challenge uncalled penalties the game would never end lol. That also means that no call on the Rams still doesn't get reviewed

Well no, you’d allow the same amount of challenges (I think it’s 2 now and if you win them both you get a 3rd?) so it wouldn’t make the game any longer

There is already too much review in NFL.  does anybody remember when ther was actually a decade long debate about reviews v.s. flow of game?  Then out of nowhere they just added a bunch of mandatory reviews and games became 20 minutes longer.

2 hours ago, Stephen1 said:

Well no, you’d allow the same amount of challenges (I think it’s 2 now and if you win them both you get a 3rd?) so it wouldn’t make the game any longer

Yes it would because you don't normally use all 3 challenges.  That's on top of the TD challenges and 2 minute challenges.  It's a terrible idea because there is a penalty on every play and coaches will just wipe out every big play with a do over.

10 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

No way. You could find a penalty on just about every play; holding, illegal contact, hands to the face.

We don’t need to reinvent the wheel because Saints fans are upset. The refs weren’t blowing the whistle in the 4th quarter for either team. No one got robbed, it looked like a bang-bang play at full speed. They also missed the Goff facemask which would have made it 1st and Goal. Saints fans seem to forget about that.

I don't like challenging penalties either. If you don't like the result of a play, throw the challenge flag and review. You will find a penalty on almost every play if you look hard enough. This would slow down the game too much.

I will say though, that was definitely not a bang-bang play at full speed, it looked beyond clear as day lol. I'd be willing to give more benefit of the doubt if the defender actually looked back, but he just charged right at the guy and tackled him well before the ball was there.

16 minutes ago, Northern Green Wings said:

I don't like challenging penalties either. If you don't like the result of a play, throw the challenge flag and review. You will find a penalty on almost every play if you look hard enough. This would slow down the game too much.

I will say though, that was definitely not a bang-bang play at full speed, it looked beyond clear as day lol. I'd be willing to give more benefit of the doubt if the defender actually looked back, but he just charged right at the guy and tackled him well before the ball was there.

When I saw the play at full speed I thought the defender got there about the same time as the ball. In slo mo, he was way early and hit him helmet to helmet.

19 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

When I saw the play at full speed I thought the defender got there about the same time as the ball. In slo mo, he was way early and hit him helmet to helmet.

all of that is true, but guess what?  it was a TERRIBLE throw by Brees.  Hit the defender in the back.  Would not have been caught.

I truly hate this idea, and Saints are bad losers.   The Saints think that there were no missed calls against them, right?  They are wrong.  I have a number of problems with this one.

First, I think you could review 70%-80% of all plays in the NFL and find somebody, somewhere that did something that could be penalized.  Hands to the face, brief hold, touching a facemask, etc.   If implemented the strategy going forward will be this: (1) late in the game challenge every play to make them look again for a hold, a PI, hands to the face, etc.; (2) challenge all big plays to see if you can get it overturned for some reason.

Second, games need to be called consistently.  If you call something PI, it should be called that way every time regardless of replay review.  A team getting a stricter interpretation of a rule because they had a challenge flag is also garbage.

Third, LET! THEM! PLAY!  I truely hate when the refs step in and decide a game.  Drives me nuts.  We ABSOLUTELY should not ENCOURAGE this.

No. Don't leave it in the hands of the officials. Defeat your opponent and leave no doubt which team is better.

I don't remember how much time was left in that game, but the official said that he believed that the ball was tipped, right? That's a challengeable call. If it's within 2 minutes, the booth can review it.

If there's no tip visible and they feel it's conclusive that there wasn't a tip, I'm not sure if they can then 'retroactively' call the DPI, though.

37 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I don't remember how much time was left in that game, but the official said that he believed that the ball was tipped, right? That's a challengeable call. If it's within 2 minutes, the booth can review it.

If there's no tip visible and they feel it's conclusive that there wasn't a tip, I'm not sure if they can then 'retroactively' call the DPI, though.

If they called DPI, but the ball was actually tipped, then it could’ve been reviewed to see if it was tipped. The Eagles did that in a game, either this year or last year and won the challenge as the flag was picked up due to the reversal.

The other way around, you can’t challenge it.  I think if the ref, at the time that it happened, said no flag was thrown as the ball was tipped, then they should be able to challenge it.

6 minutes ago, RPeeteRules said:

If they called DPI, but the ball was actually tipped, then it could’ve been reviewed to see if it was tipped. The Eagles did that in a game, either this year or last year and won the challenge as the flag was picked up due to the reversal.

The other way around, you can’t challenge it.  I think if the ref, at the time that it happened, said no flag was thrown as the ball was tipped, then they should be able to challenge it.

I don't specifically remember a DPI/tip for the Eagles, but I do remember the running into the kicker vs. the Falcons (on a punt) last year in the playoffs, which was overturned on replay due to the ball being slightly tipped. Is that the play you might be thinking of?