Sign in to follow this  
Don Corleone

U.S. Congressman wants Roger Goodell to testify before an antitrust subcommittee

Commissioner Roger Goodell probably shouldn’t worry about a lawsuit filed in New Orleans over the blown call at the end of the NFC Championship. Goodell probably should worry (at least a little bit) about another potential scenario for sworn testimony, sparked by a U.S. Representative from New Orleans.

"What the entire nation witnessed during this past weekend’s NFC Championship game was an upset as a result of an unfair penalty, and I join Saints players, coaches, and fans far and wide over this disappointment,” Congressman Cedric Richmond (D-La.) said in a statement. "The Saints should be on their way to Atlanta to play in the Super Bowl. Instead, they are left with the memory of officials who failed to create an equal playing field and deprived them of that opportunity. Officials should not have the ability to determine the fate of a team who rightfully earned their place in NFL championship history.”

It’s one thing to express a concern, it’s another to specify action that can be taken in response to the concern. Richmond did.

"I have since spoken with colleagues on the Judiciary Antitrust Subcommittee about inviting NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to answer some important questions about the unfair call against the Saints,” Richmond said, "a call that he has the jurisdiction to overturn. I stand with Saints owner Gayle Benson on the urgency and significance of having this issue addressed so that it does not happen again. The Saints got the short end of the stick, and I am proud to witness the strength of the franchise and the unswerving support of Who Dat Nation. I look forward to conveying these views to Mr. Goodell soon.”

While it would be easy to dismiss the statement as pandering to those who elected Richmond into office, it would be unwise to assume that every effort to compel Goodell to answer tough questions about how the NFL officiates games will automatically fail. As legalized gambling begins to proliferate, the NFL should be concerned that any given controversy could be the controversy that prompts Congress to conclude that the NFL isn’t capable of taking care of its own business — and that Congress should do it for the NFL.

More specifically, the league should fear the possible creation of a federal agency that would oversee the NFL, and possibly other pro sports. That’s the last thing the league would want, since it would remove from the league the exclusive authority to determine the league’s business, subject to the authority of no one.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/23/u-s-congressman-wants-roger-goodell-to-testify-before-an-antitrust-subcommittee/

This has gone way too far at this point. Yeah, let's just spend tax payer dollars on something as trivial as this, because you Ftards can't move on with your life, great idea.

Who's going to represent us in the "No clear recovery" case? Will the same individual represent us on the Goedert OPI call, or do different reps represent different penalties?

8 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

And a US Senator once investigated Spygate.

If you're referring to Arlen Specter, I don't believe he investigated anything, just that he called for an independent investigation.

May 16th 2008

https://www.timesonline.com/b66240da-14f5-5581-aea0-228a50113707.html

June 17th 2008

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/lawmaker-news/44386-specter-calls-it-quits-on-spygate-investigation

Another year, another fanbase that shows their true colors. Feel like Eagles Saints is going to become a fairly bitter rivalry soon, if Drew Brees doesn't retire.

1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/23/u-s-congressman-wants-roger-goodell-to-testify-before-an-antitrust-subcommittee/

This has gone way too far at this point. Yeah, let's just spend tax payer dollars on something as trivial as this, because you Ftards can't move on with your life, great idea.

Maybe they should worry a little more about t b e 800,000 Federal employees and a little less about the NFL.

TO be fair, I do believe the Rams vs Saints game was already setup for Rams to win. NFL needed to inject life into the populace in LA and getting the RAMS to the superbowl was the best way to do it....  I dont feel bad for the Saints though, they are just a shi* franchise in general...

5 minutes ago, Jeep_Man said:

TO be fair, I do believe the Rams vs Saints game was already setup for Rams to win.

If you believe that then there's no reason to ever watch another NFL game again, because the outcome of the games is pre-determined and therefore it's just a fictional form of entertainment, and if that's the case then the NFL should invest a boatload of money into CGI like Madden games. That would save a lot of players from life altering head injuries.

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If you believe that then there's no reason to ever watch another NFL game again, because the outcome of the games is pre-determined and therefore it's just a fictional form of entertainment, and if that's the case then the NFL should invest a boatload of money into CGI like Madden games. That would save a lot of players from life altering head injuries.

I am not saying all games are setup, however some of it is. It's part of sports, not just the NFL, have you ever scratched your head and thought how the hell did Roger Federer lose a game to a nobody out of nowhere ? the 1980 Mr Olympia, how Arnold Schwarzenegger won ?..... Gambling/Betting or whatever other factors such as for instance the NFL themselves to promote its agenda is what determines outcomes of games, the avg fans like me and you are supposed to just live in our own little worlds with our every day lives thinking everything is righteous...

5 hours ago, Jeep_Man said:

I am not saying all games are setup, however some of it is.

Like I said, if that's what you believe, then there's no reason to ever watch another game. If one game is rigged, then nothing else matters.

Wow, and I thought that the Vikes fans were bad last year.

Here is what gets me, they believe that missed call was the only reason they lost. After the non-call the Saints still kicked the FG to make it 23-20, you want to go to the SB, stop the Rams O from putting any more points on the board. In OT they got the ball first and turned it over putting the Rams in position to win the game. What a bunch of crybabies, enough already!

8 hours ago, Jeep_Man said:

TO be fair, I do believe the Rams vs Saints game was already setup for Rams to win. NFL needed to inject life into the populace in LA and getting the RAMS to the superbowl was the best way to do it....  I dont feel bad for the Saints though, they are just a shi* franchise in general...

If the nfl wanted the rams to win, they could have simply called the obvious face mask on goff on the drive before. Imo The refs didnt want to decide the game so they swallowed the whistle on both sides late game and ended up letting a obvious blown call go.

The saints got the ball first in ot. 

3 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Like I said, if that's what you believe, then there's no reason to ever watch another game. If one game is rigged, then nothing else matters.

So you honestly, hand on heart believe there has never been a fixed game in the NFL ? Never , Period ?????????????

44 minutes ago, eagles_crazy said:

If the nfl wanted the rams to win, they could have simply called the obvious face mask on goff on the drive before. Imo The refs didnt want to decide the game so they swallowed the whistle on both sides late game and ended up letting a obvious blown call go.

The saints got the ball first in ot. 

I have never seen such terrible pass interference calls not get called, it was borderline abuse what the Rams DBs were getting away with and the Refs were watching it happen right in front of their eyes... I am not saying what you are saying is wrong, could be true, however I feel this game was fixed...

P.S. I hate the Saints,..............

2 hours ago, Jeep_Man said:

So you honestly, hand on heart believe there has never been a fixed game in the NFL ? Never , Period ?????????????

Think about the repercussions of what you are saying if it were true. If it were ever proven that an NFL game were fixed or rigged, think about the fallout. Not only would the fans be pissed and stadiums would empty, the players would feel betrayed for putting their health on the line for nothing.

There would be out and out revolt among players not only against the league, but against their own teams since ownership would certainly be viewed as in the know. 

For all the money to be made by fixing games, there is far too much money to be lost by doing so. 

Any politician who believes this is good use of his time should be fired immediately.

I don't believe the NFL is rigged on any level, the referee just 100% blew the call. Even saying that, it's still just a reality TV show, like the Bachelor or American Gladiators or Survivor.

Do we call for congress intervention if the tennis ball cannon stops working on American Gladiators?

I love the Eagles, but if this crap happens to us I'd tell everyone to grow up and get ready for next year. Beat the other team by more than 1 8 yard pass play, and you don't have to worry about the call. Or better yet, don't throw a bad interception in overtime. Everyone gets bad calls, Rams arguably had more than the Saints did.

5 hours ago, Jeep_Man said:

I don't believe that the NFL rigs games. I don't believe the Earth is flat. I don't believe that the Apollo moon landings were faked. I don't believe that aliens abducted Elvis.

6 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I don't believe that the NFL rigs games. I don't believe the Earth is flat. I don't believe that the Apollo moon landings were faked. I don't believe that aliens abducted Elvis.

Well its good that NFL has fans like you because they in trouble if ppl like me were in big numbers...  Lets agree to disagree my friend.....

1 minute ago, Jeep_Man said:

Well its good that NFL has fans like you because they in trouble if ppl like me were in big numbers...  Lets agree to disagree my friend.....

Again, if you believe that the NFL rigs games, any games, then there's no reason to ever watch another game. It's just professional wrestling with helmets.

Just now, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Again, if you believe that the NFL rigs games, any games, then there's no reason to ever watch another game. It's just professional wrestling with helmets.

Well I did say in one of my previous posts that I believe not all games were rigged, so that is enough for me to keep watching... 

51 minutes ago, Jeep_Man said:

Well I did say in one of my previous posts that I believe not all games were rigged, so that is enough for me to keep watching... 

Why though? If the NFL is going to rig games, it’s highly likely they’d rig the most important games. Sure, they probably don’t give a crap about a Browns/Bengals or Falcons/Bucs outcome, but if the playoffs are rigged a certain way, then it may as well invalidate the whole league. 

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

Why though? If the NFL is going to rig games, it’s highly likely they’d rig the most important games. Sure, they probably don’t give a crap about a Browns/Bengals or Falcons/Bucs outcome, but if the playoffs are rigged a certain way, then it may as well invalidate the whole league. 

Well if you read one of my previous posts,, I gave an example of why the NFL would want the Rams in this years Superbowl. League has it's own agenda, I find it concerning that most fans would not question the NFL, instead just follow them like it is written in a gospel and not use any intuition or think outside the square. Blind supporting is what NFL wants and needs, if people started questioning them then they are in trouble. Look at the way SPY Gate was handled for example, Goodell destroyed the tapes, NFL is just as corrupt as every other sport, as long as there are not enough people to challenge them or ask uncomfortable questions, they sitting pretty and rich....

1 hour ago, Jeep_Man said:

Well if you read one of my previous posts,, I gave an example of why the NFL would want the Rams in this years Superbowl. League has it's own agenda, I find it concerning that most fans would not question the NFL, instead just follow them like it is written in a gospel and not use any intuition or think outside the square. Blind supporting is what NFL wants and needs, if people started questioning them then they are in trouble. Look at the way SPY Gate was handled for example, Goodell destroyed the tapes, NFL is just as corrupt as every other sport, as long as there are not enough people to challenge them or ask uncomfortable questions, they sitting pretty and rich....

It sounds like too much of a leap, especially when factors that work against an idea are ignored. That's cherry picking. A facemask on Goff was missed. One official is supposed to be watching the QB I believe, and that would have given the Rams a 1st and goal. I believe another facemask was missed on a Rams receiver. Plus the few delays the Saints could have been called for. How about the late DPI called on the Rams in OT 2 plays before the INT? That doesn't seem beneficial for LA. I think Occums Razor can apply here. The officials make mistakes. It sucks, but it happens.

2 hours ago, Jeep_Man said:

But if even one game is rigged, ESPECIALLY the NFC/AFC Championship game, then nothing else matters. Having even a single game rigged, taints the entire league and ALL games.

This is a little overboard but, I'm not so sure Eagles fans wouldn't act the exact same way. I go into the game day threads it's non stop complaining over every single call. I've learned to just accept that the games will be called like crap.