55thAndRams

If the Rams win the Super Bowl, who "won a Super Bowl" first, Goff or Wentz?

If the Rams win the Super Bowl, who "won a Super Bowl" first, Goff or Wentz?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. If the Rams win the Super Bowl, who "won a Super Bowl" first, Goff or Wentz?

• Goff
    • Wentz

If the Rams win the Super Bowl, who should be said to have "won a Super Bowl" first between the former #1 and #2 overall picks: Jared Goff, or Carson Wentz?

(Related question: if Wentz goes on to have a Donovan McNabb-like career the rest of the way--a handful of conference championship and Super Bowl losses--will he/should he be said at the end of the day to have "a ring"?)

4 minutes ago, 55thAndRams said:

If the Rams win the Super Bowl, who should be said to have "won a Super Bowl" first between the former #1 and #2 overall picks: Jared Goff, or Carson Wentz?

(Related question: if Wentz goes on to have a Donovan McNabb-like career the rest of the way--a handful of conference championship and Super Bowl losses--will he/should he be said at the end of the day to have "a ring"?)

:rolleyes: Winning a Super Bowl is a team achievement, so Wentz already has won a Super Bowl, he was also a huge factor as to why the Eagles were in the position they were in at the end of the year. I guess if you want to frame it that way, then Darren Sproles, Jason Peters and Jordan Hicks didn't win a Super Bowl ring either.

I notice you put "won a Super Bowl" in quotes. I can only assume you did that because players don't win Super Bowls, teams do, as Don pointed out. I tend to support that view, which is why I don't even care for mentioning QB's win/loss records.

In that regard, it would depend on whether or not someone shares that POV. Someone who talks in terms of QBs winning games, or winning Super Bowls would argue that Goff won a Super Bowl before Wentz did. Same with the 2nd question. They would view Wentz as "ringless". I view Wentz as already having been a contributor to a Super Bowl winning team, and he does have a ring.

If an asterisk is given because someone didn't play in the actual game itself, should an asterisk also be given for someone who only played less than 25% of the regular season enroute to the Super Bowl?

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Who has the ring right now? 

19 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

usatsi_10587201.jpg.86b4d148f857eb6bc9b66b45de0c263d.jpg

12 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Who has the ring right now? 

Maddie Wentz. 

:lol: 

If Wentz was the QB in the Super Bowl last year, I know all of us would have said Wentz won the super bowl at some point.  So I don’t see the point in trying to be technically correct. 

As far as who won and played in the super bowl, Goff would be first (the rams have to win first off), but who cares? Trent Dilfer won a super bowl before Peyton Manning. 

Because of this thread I hope the patriots win so that Wentz can possibly be the only one that ‘won a super bowl’ :nonono:

5 hours ago, 55thAndRams said:

They won't.

Wentz hasn’t won crap, but Foles carried him to a ring!

And don’t lie, because if this happened to any other QB in the division, you’d be saying the same thing.

1 hour ago, cowboy30 said:

Wentz hasn’t won crap, but Foles carried him to a ring!

And don’t lie, because if this happened to any other QB in the division, you’d be saying the same thing.

I think that depends. For the record, i voted Goff, but considering Wentz got hurt so late in the season, the reality is that Wentz won one first. If Aikman got hurt late in the season in 1992 and Steve Buerlein finished the deal, I wouldn't have said Aikman didn't earn it, or didn't win crap. 

Wentz has a ring and without him we don't go to the Super Bowl. Now we can't say that we would have definitely won it if he'd stayed healthy but we can't say that he wouldn't have either. 

The answer to the question of course is , Goff.  It's the reason that while I know I will end up rooting for Rams, I won't be mad if Pats win this time.

18 hours ago, 55thAndRams said:

He should be said to have 3/4 of one.  Like, maybe just the band or something, with an inscription that says: "the real league MVP".  How about that?😉

For one thing, a lot of people thought the Rams and Eagles were crazy for giving up several picks to move up to #1 and #2 to draft these two QB's.  But it's worked out very well for both franchises.

This is tough. I'm inclined to say Wentz, but I'm sure almost all Eagles fans and NFL fans in general would think otherwise. I spent the weekend in S. Philly and the majority of people I spoke with not only view that as Foles' SB, but most want to keep him and dump Wentz. Granted those people are just fans, and not football nerds like the people (myself included) that post on this board. 

The bigger question is has Goff passed Wentz in the QB rankings? All things being equal I think most would take Wentz, but aside from skill, availability is a QBs biggest asset. Wentz is one injury away from the dreaded injury-prone label. 

20 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

This is tough. I'm inclined to say Wentz, but I'm sure almost all Eagles fans and NFL fans in general would think otherwise. I spent the weekend in S. Philly and the majority of people I spoke with not only view that as Foles' SB, but most want to keep him and dump Wentz. Granted those people are just fans, and not football nerds like the people (myself included) that post on this board. 

The bigger question is has Goff passed Wentz in the QB rankings? All things being equal I think most would take Wentz, but aside from skill, availability is a QBs biggest asset. Wentz is one injury away from the dreaded injury-prone label. 

There's two ways to look at it (with regard to the players).

1. The Super Bowl as an individual game in which only those players who played, won the game

2. The Super Bowl Championship as a team/season accomplishment in which all players who participated (both in practice and games) won the Championship

So let's say that the Rams go on to avenge their Super Bowl Loss to the Patriots, and win this one and Goff plays in the game (which is a foregone conclusion, but you never know what can happen in life, like injuries in practice, car accidents, etc...).

Goff will have played in and won that individual game before Carson Wentz. But, Wentz will have won a Championship before Goff. I tend to look at a Super Bowl Championship as a season accomplishment in which all of the players won it. Not just the individuals who played in that single game.

There's a post by me on here somewhere where I was discussing Phil Simms and his 2 Super Bowl rings. I almost want to say that it was a discussion of whether he should be in the Hall of Fame or not, but it's been a year or more ago since that discussion. I also want to say that I was saying that he probably should be in, while a Giants fan was saying he shouldn't. But again, I'm not sure of all that.

Anyway, my point back then was that he had 2 Super Bowl Championships to his name to which the other poster was saying that he only had 1 because Hostetler had the other 1. I pointed out that that just wasn't correct, because without Simms' 11 wins that season (I think they were 11-2 when he broke his foot), the Giants likely don't get into position to win it all. His regular season record (if you credit the QB with W's and L's), were key to that season. (All of that was said before the Eagles won LII, as I recall).

So too, the Eagles likely aren't in position to win HFA without Wentz's 11-2 record. His regular season was key to the Eagles winning it all.

That's a really big IF for Goff.

Wentz led his team to 11-2 and got his team in position for home field advantage.

It's not like he was invisible David Carr on the 2011 Giants.

I’d say Goff as he’d be the first to win a Super Bowl he played in.  I also dislike how some players are noted as "Super Bowl Winning QB” on some tv networks (David Carr, for example).

I think people are putting too much store by Wentz being the nominal starter.  If the situation were reversed--starting QB wasn't available until the second half of the season, backup plays well in his stead for the first half of the season, then starter returns and leads team to Super Bowl win--I think very few people would be inclined to say the backup that played the first half of the season "won a Super Bowl."

But, I and most people in this thread are biased.  Maybe I should go post this question on a random team's message board. 

16 minutes ago, 55thAndRams said:

I think people are putting too much store by Wentz being the nominal starter.  If the situation were reversed--starting QB wasn't available until the second half of the season, backup plays well in his stead for the first half of the season, then starter returns and leads team to Super Bowl win--I think very few people would be inclined to say the backup that played the first half of the season "won a Super Bowl."

But, I and most people in this thread are biased.  Maybe I should go post this question on a random team's message board. 

Having started and played in 13 out of 19 possible games, isn't 'nominal'.