55thAndRams

If the Rams win the Super Bowl, who "won a Super Bowl" first, Goff or Wentz?

If the Rams win the Super Bowl, who "won a Super Bowl" first, Goff or Wentz?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. If the Rams win the Super Bowl, who "won a Super Bowl" first, Goff or Wentz?

• Goff
    • Wentz

I don't care what anyone is claiming; when you're using CJ Anderson not just on power running plays but also on screen passes, any pretense is gone. 

40 minutes ago, 55thAndRams said:

I don't care what anyone is claiming; when you're using CJ Anderson not just on power running plays but also on screen passes, any pretense is gone. 

:lol: 

41 minutes ago, 55thAndRams said:

You score points with me for even being here after that.

I imagine it felt like this for Rams fans:

tenor.gif?itemid=9969573

I guess this thread is a moo point. 

That said, Happy one year Anniversary of the greatest sports day in world history to everyone. 

:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, 55thAndRams said:

They should have stuck with CJ in this game and I think it cost them.  I get sticking with your star Qb or Wr but when it comes to RB's you go with the hot hand no matter what.

11 hours ago, 55thAndRams said:

Well, not going to try to sugarcoat that.  That was pathetic. 

Can't wait to follow the flood of reports that are going to be coming out this week over WTF was going on with Todd Gurley's injury for the last month.

Maybe it’s mental from the Saints benching after that int

It really was a pathetic performance by Goff. For the game he was:

19/38 50% 229 YDS 0 TDs 1 INT 57.9 Passer Rating

At the end of the first half, he had 52 yards passing. Foles had more than that (61 Yards passing) after just the first drive of Super Bowl LII, and after the Eagles second drive, he almost doubled Goff's entire first half passing yards with 102 yards passing.

Goff's first half stats:

15 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Goff:

5/12 41.7% 52 YDS 0 TDs  0 INTs 54.9 Passer Rating 

When the Eagles value RBBC because: #1-if your "Star" RB goes down for any stretch *likely given the hits he regularly takes*.....................................

You actually have to play in the game to be credited as winning the game.  You still get a ring by being on the team, but Wentz certainly contributed to getting the team there.  The injury was certainly sad for him, but the way he was playing in 18, he could have done as well as Nick.  Goff if he had won would be considered the first of the two to win a SB.... but he lost so it's still up for grabs Carson.

16 minutes ago, Fireeagle27 said:

You actually have to play in the game to be credited as winning the game.  You still get a ring by being on the team, but Wentz certainly contributed to getting the team there.  The injury was certainly sad for him, but the way he was playing in 18, he could have done as well as Nick.  Goff if he had won would be considered the first of the two to win a SB.... but he lost so it's still up for grabs Carson.

"The game" and "A Super Bowl", as in the individual game, in a vacuum. Is a Super Bowl Championship only a single game though? Or is it the entire championship season?

5 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It really was a pathetic performance by Goff. For the game he was:

19/38 50% 229 YDS 0 TDs 1 INT 57.9 Passer Rating

At the end of the first half, he had 52 yards passing. Foles had more than that (61 Yards passing) after just the first drive of Super Bowl LII, and after the Eagles second drive, he almost doubled Goff's entire first half passing yards with 102 yards passing.

Goff's first half stats:

It was even worse than the stat line makes it look.

Overall, just a horrendous night for the franchise.  One of those Super Bowl losses that's probably a worse outcome than not getting there in the first place. 

5 hours ago, Greenakers2 said:

When the Eagles value RBBC because: #1-if your "Star" RB goes down for any stretch *likely given the hits he regularly takes*.....................................

Of course the big problem with this philosophy is when the entire committee goes down....

3 hours ago, Pallidrone said:

Of course the big problem with this philosophy is when the entire committee goes down....

Yes, but look at all the money they saved switching from Geico to Geico.  1 or 2 is only a flesh wound.......................

On 1/26/2019 at 3:16 PM, 55thAndRams said:

If the Rams win the Super Bowl, who should be said to have "won a Super Bowl" first between the former #1 and #2 overall picks: Jared Goff, or Carson Wentz?

(Related question: if Wentz goes on to have a Donovan McNabb-like career the rest of the way--a handful of conference championship and Super Bowl losses--will he/should he be said at the end of the day to have "a ring"?)

On 1/27/2019 at 7:51 PM, 55thAndRams said:

I think people are putting too much store by Wentz being the nominal starter.  If the situation were reversed--starting QB wasn't available until the second half of the season, backup plays well in his stead for the first half of the season, then starter returns and leads team to Super Bowl win--I think very few people would be inclined to say the backup that played the first half of the season "won a Super Bowl."

But, I and most people in this thread are biased.  Maybe I should go post this question on a random team's message board. 

Whoops.  Guess it's a moot point :roll: maybe you should go ahead and troll another board.  They lost - in reality - one player, Gurley - and the offense fell apart.  Your coach couldn't adjust even though Gurley basically hasn't been available since the Eagles beat your Rams up.  Which was how many games?  That should scare you more than Goff looking like a career backup over the last 2 months....at this point Wentz >>>>> Goff.  And it's not even fairly close.  

Honestly Rams fans should be concerned by the performance of Goff. I get that it was his first SB so to a degree an up and down game could be understood but... He didn't have an up and down game! He just looked outright terrible. At no point in that game did he look like he could do remotely enough to help his team. 

13 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Honestly Rams fans should be concerned by the performance of Goff. I get that it was his first SB so to a degree an up and down game could be understood but... He didn't have an up and down game! He just looked outright terrible. At no point in that game did he look like he could do remotely enough to help his team. 

Yeah, I don't really give him a pass for it being his first Super Bowl. Nick Foles played in his first Super Bowl last year and absolutely killed it. Russell Wilson won his first Super Bowl. Tom Brady won his first Super Bowl. Sure, he (Goff) was only in his 3rd season in the NFL, but Ben Roethlisberger won his first Super Bowl in his 2nd year. Joe Montana won it in his 3rd year.

I really think that part of Goff's problem is what many were praising about the Rams offense during the year, and that's that McVay would talk to him right up to the final second that he could, and help him in what was going on, on the field. So if McVay was helping him to actually read the defenses, and Belichick was disguising the defenses or doing things after the coach/qb communication was turned off, then it's possible that Goff couldn't read what they were doing.

If it's true that McVay was 'coddling' Goff by giving him all the 'answers to the test', then Goff is basically like a rookie out there when he's 'on his own' and good defenses can confuse him.

11 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If it's true that McVay was 'coddling' Goff by giving him all the 'answers to the test', then Goff is basically like a rookie out there when he's 'on his own' and good defenses can confuse him.

And this is where Goffs college career comes back to bite him... He played in a spread offense. It means he can put up big numbers for sure and he's done that... But he's limited and defenses are going to give him different looks once that communication has gone. 

On 2/4/2019 at 3:08 PM, 55thAndRams said:

It was even worse than the stat line makes it look.

Overall, just a horrendous night for the franchise.  One of those Super Bowl losses that's probably a worse outcome than not getting there in the first place. 

Oh geez. That.. is not a good look for Goff at all haha. Some of it is easy for us to say as fans on why do that after the fact, not knowing the play-call and read progression. You can find that true of any QB in the league. I think what is evident though is he was looking for the big play too often and he had plenty of guys open underneath on easy passes.

I still think he is a good QB and will only get better. Hopefully the shock from the Superbowl and how he played doesn't carry forward for him in his career.

On 1/27/2019 at 1:27 AM, cowboy30 said:

Wentz hasn’t won crap, but Foles carried him to a ring!

And don’t lie, because if this happened to any other QB in the division, you’d be saying the same thing.

I know one thing is for sure: Dak ain't never winning crap!

On 2/8/2019 at 9:03 AM, Phila.:chip said:

I know one thing is for sure: Dak ain't never winning crap!

Agreed. Not with Jerry and Garrett around.

Let's kind of turn this around a little.

Suppose that Goff had gotten hurt in week 13 of this past season and his season ended with the following stats:

295/458 64.4% 3,934 YDS 27 TDs 11 INTs 101.2 Passer Rating

Then, Sean Mannion comes in and leads them the rest of the way to a Championship. Would Mannion be the QB who got the credit for the Championship?

11 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Then, Sean Mannion comes in and leads them the rest of the way to a Championship. Would Mannion be the QB who got the credit for the Championship?

Really great point... To me not entirely no. I would of course give him credit because he had to come in and produce. But ultimately it was the starter for 13 weeks who put the team in a position to succeed with a #1/2 seed. 

This question has been asked and answered...

I already told him twice and I'm not going to tell him again.

On 1/26/2019 at 8:18 PM, PoconoDon said:

They won't.

On 2/3/2019 at 6:43 AM, PoconoDon said:

The point is moot. The Patriots are going to win. 

If you want Goff to win a Super Bowl before that dope learns enough to do it on his own (5+ more years), you have to change the rule and let the helmet cut off at the snap, so McVay can read the defense for him all the way.

On 2/4/2019 at 12:37 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

"The game" and "A Super Bowl", as in the individual game, in a vacuum. Is a Super Bowl Championship only a single game though? Or is it the entire championship season?

I would be inclined to say the game.  If you lose it, no one says you had a "Super Bowl losing season."

Obviously you don't get to the championship game without a successful season, which is why I don't discount Wentz's contributions, but the championship is a single game.