Sign in to follow this  
Leonard's Memory Lane

Relooking 1991 vs Dallas

With this disappointing season over,  the resident historian can  bring old hurts back.  You may have discussed this question already but I lived in DC a the time and there was not the internet access there is today.  Now I could give a history on this but I will be brief.  If you want to hear anything more let me know.  I have on dvd the tremendous game the Eagles defense played in the 24 to 0 game at Dallas in September.  Fast forward to Week 16 when Dallas came to Philadelphia.  The defense got only one sack for a paltry 7 yards on Steve Buerlin and no turnovers. They did have some blocked passes. Buerline went only 9 for 25 as I recall.  What went wrong with Reggie, Clyde, Mike, and Jerome.   

I think it was special teams that lost that game. I seem to remember a punt return TD for the Cowboys that won it for them. Not to mention the fact that the Eagles were down to their fifth starting quarterback of the season by the time that game was played.

On 1/26/2019 at 9:13 PM, Leonard's Memory Lane said:

With this disappointing season over,  the resident historian can  bring old hurts back.  You may have discussed this question already but I lived in DC a the time and there was not the internet access there is today.  Now I could give a history on this but I will be brief.  If you want to hear anything more let me know.  I have on dvd the tremendous game the Eagles defense played in the 24 to 0 game at Dallas in September.  Fast forward to Week 16 when Dallas came to Philadelphia.  The defense got only one sack for a paltry 7 yards on Steve Buerlin and no turnovers. They did have some blocked passes. Buerline went only 9 for 25 as I recall.  What went wrong with Reggie, Clyde, Mike, and Jerome.   

IIRC, the decisive play was a punt return or kickoff return for a touchdown.  It broke the long Dallas losing streak against the Eagles and marked the team's rise to a Super Bowl power.

13 hours ago, Procus said:

IIRC, the decisive play was a punt return or kickoff return for a touchdown.  It broke the long Dallas losing streak against the Eagles and marked the team's rise to a Super Bowl power.

Yes I realize that and I think it was a guy named Al Harris that muffed a kickoff given the Cowboys a Safety.     Just to digress  Safeties, depending on your team, are very damaging or great scores.  Let's not run the comparison and look at the Safety from the Eagles' perch.  The Cowboys scored and the Eagles had to kickoff or punt the ball away.  Really get your nose rubbed in the dirt.  Forgetting the 87 strike, the Eagles had defeated the Cowboys 9 consecutive times.  That doesn't begin to erase the hurt.  From 1968 to 1978,  Philadelphia's record against the Cowboys was 2 wins and 20 losses.  There were only   three losses that were close.    

3 hours ago, Leonard's Memory Lane said:

Yes I realize that and I think it was a guy named Al Harris that muffed a kickoff given the Cowboys a Safety.     Just to digress  Safeties, depending on your team, are very damaging or great scores.  Let's not run the comparison and look at the Safety from the Eagles' perch.  The Cowboys scored and the Eagles had to kickoff or punt the ball away.  Really get your nose rubbed in the dirt.  Forgetting the 87 strike, the Eagles had defeated the Cowboys 9 consecutive times.  That doesn't begin to erase the hurt.  From 1968 to 1978,  Philadelphia's record against the Cowboys was 2 wins and 20 losses.  There were only   three losses that were close.    

It's over 25 years ago.  Time to let go and move on.

47 minutes ago, Procus said:

It's over 25 years ago.  Time to let go and move on.

History is very important in every area.  You cannot understand the present without knowing the past. Why do you think schools teach history?   And you put me in the dilemma as well  so I am speaking with forked tongue.   If you don't like writing don't read it.   At the same time thanks for reading and commenting on what I said.

9 minutes ago, Leonard's Memory Lane said:

History is very important in every area.  You cannot understand the present without knowing the past. Why do you think schools teach history?   And you put me in the dilemma as well  so I am speaking with forked tongue.   If you don't like writing don't read it.   At the same time thanks for reading and commenting on what I said.

There's where you are wrong Leonard - I do enjoy reading it.  My post was meant as commentary, not an admonition to react in a certain way.  Certainly a momentous game, that, if the team didn't lose in 91, they would have lost in a later year.  I was at the MNF game against Dallas where Rodney Peete went down with a knee injury.  Say what you want about his play, but the team won a high percentage of games that he started.

1 hour ago, Procus said:

There's where you are wrong Leonard - I do enjoy reading it.  My post was meant as commentary, not an admonition to react in a certain way.  Certainly a momentous game, that, if the team didn't lose in 91, they would have lost in a later year.  I was at the MNF game against Dallas where Rodney Peete went down with a knee injury.  Say what you want about his play, but the team won a high percentage of games that he started.

I was there as well. Rodney Peete's very unfortunate injury wasn't my main take away from that game though...and now I must digress.

For several years leading up to that season, Emmitt Smith had been running roughshod over our diminishing defense and it seemed like the Eagles couldn't find a player to counter him with. It seemed like they couldn't find anyone capable of tackling him with any consistency, and it was uber-frustrating expecting him to run on us for 150+ every game. Knowing the Eagles couldn't stop him was a nightmare that played out twice a year and was expected to happen a third time if the Eagles met him in the playoffs.

That was of course, until that night. The Eagles had drafted a rookie Safety out of Clemson named Brian Dawkins and he was touted as a really good tackler who could play in the box very well, so I wanted to see this rookie get his shot for myself against the best there was.

Early in the game, Smith took the hand off and started to run it inside between the center and right guard while Dawkins was flying in to meet him. The two of them met in the hole, and I saw what I had been hoping and wishing for.

Dawkins hit Smith's thigh stopping him in his tracks, and then he lifted that leg and drove him back on his rear end. It was one relatively small play but just like that, Superman met Kryptonite, and the nightmare that had been replaying since 1992 ended in an instant. When the play was over, they both popped up and Smith gave Brian a slap on the helmet as if to say good job rookie. They battled back and forth that game and Smith won a few of those battles too, but the Eagles finally had an answer. 

Dallas won the game that night, which was disappointing, but there was solace to be found in the fact that when it came to the heretofore unstoppable Dallas running back, the worst was over. 

On 1/26/2019 at 10:32 PM, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I think it was special teams that lost that game. I seem to remember a punt return TD for the Cowboys that won it for them. Not to mention the fact that the Eagles were down to their fifth starting quarterback of the season by the time that game was played.

That's my recollection as well.  IIRC, the Cowboys had a long punt return for a touchdown by Kelvin Martin that put them ahead for good in the 4th quarter.  As for the quarterbacks, Jeff Kemp was under center for the Eagles by that point in the season, replacing the injured for the year starter Randall Cunningham and perpetually injured backup Jim McMahon.  Kemp was near the end of his career and mediocre, but was at least serviceable, unlike "never was" Brad Goebel (who was a rookie free agent in 1991) and "has been" Pat Ryan (who was a solid backup QB for the Jets for many years, but had been out of the NFL since 1989 when the Eagles signed him).