Wallyhorse

Should the NFL go to a draft lottery?

NFL Draft Lottery  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NFL go to a Draft Lottery similar to the NBA for non-playoff teams?

• Yes
    • No

Something I thought of before but I think should be looked at:

With all the recent tanking we have seen in the NFL, I'm thinking it's time to see the NFL have it where ALL of the non-playoff teams go into a lottery that determines the #1 pick and so forth.

Such can be weighted like the NBA now does it, with the three worst teams given the best chances of landing the #1 pick, the 4th worst team having the fourth best chance of landing the top pick, and so forth, with no team able to drop more than say four spots in the draft order under any circumstances. 

The draft lottery could perhaps air either before say the Saturday Divisional Playoff Games or before the Pro Bowl.  I suspect such would do big ratings.

4 hours ago, Bored said:

No. The lottery system in the NBA doesn't stop anyone from tanking.

Exactly. It didn't stop the Sixers from tanking.

20 minutes ago, Fireeagle27 said:

No.  The one thing they should do though is to increase active roster size by at least 10.  

I like that idea. Guess they'd need to increase the cap to reflect that too? Now would that be a minimum and maximum of 63? Or could a minimum of 53 maximum of 63 arrangement work? 

Basketball needs the lottery because Basketball prospects are easier scout than football or especially baseball.  You just don't see many basketball stars picked outside the1st rd and superstars are disproportionately top 10 picks.

Also in Basketball you can just tank 2 years straight, pick up a pair of top 5 picks and you are set for half a decade.  In Football you just don;t see an abvious #1 overall pick instantly change a fracnhise that often, unless of course, you're the Colts.

1 hour ago, vsptroops said:

Exactly. It didn't stop the Sixers from tanking.

That's why the NBA changed it this year to discourage the level of tanking the Sixers did.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I like that idea. Guess they'd need to increase the cap to reflect that too? Now would that be a minimum and maximum of 63? Or could a minimum of 53 maximum of 63 arrangement work? 

I'd like to see it as just a max of 63 or rounded up to 65. Keep the current cap but lower the vet and rookie minimums.  The main reason for this is that they could do more substitutions that would actually increase the safety for the players and it's pretty obvious that I think they are paid too much and that is not just for football. Keeping the salary cap as is would make it a more competitive sport in general because teams would base higher salaries on performance and incentives. 

The NBA have just put in place a new set of lottery odds for the 2019 draft to help prevent the tanking problem they currently have (i.e top four lottery odd seeds now have a near 50% chance of falling out of the top four). Even the chance of falling in the lottery doesn't prevent tanking, so I doubt it would prevent NFL teams tanking either.

Realistically there's no ideal scenario to prevent tanking. The closest they could come to it is if they put every non-play off teams name in the hat and drew them out one by one. That way every team has the same odds of winning the top pick whether they went 1-15 and tanked or 10-6 and missed the play offs. 

23 minutes ago, NIBGoldenchild said:

Which team tanked this season? I don't think the NFL has a tanking issue. 

The Raiders for one.  Why do you think Gruden made the trades he did? 

And there were many in 2017 in New York who wanted the Jets to "Suck for Sam" (Darnold, who they wound up getting anyway).

And the Colts in 2011 when they "Sucked for Luck?"

Edited by Wallyhorse
Correcting year Colts "Sucked for Luck"

5 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

And there were many in 2017 in New York who wanted the Jets to "Suck for Sam" (Darnold, who they wound up getting anyway).

And the Colts in 2012 when they "Sucked for Luck?"

Jets and Colts had really bad teams those years. As far as the Raiders go this year, I think it's just Gruden getting his guys in there.

Just now, TheGodfather said:

Jets and Colts had really bad teams those years. As far as the Raiders go this year, I think it's just Gruden getting his guys in there.

Colts were actually 2011 and not 2012.  They were believed to be the team most screwed by the 2011 Lockout because Peyton Manning was unable to see certain doctors during the lockout and it led to his missing that entire season.  

Just now, Wallyhorse said:

Colts were actually 2011 and not 2012.  They were believed to be the team most screwed by the 2011 Lockout because Peyton Manning was unable to see certain doctors during the lockout and it led to his missing that entire season.  

Yea I remember that. Didn't they have 3 different starting qbs that year? 

No.  It's hard to tank when there are only 16 games in a season.  You can be 3-5 halfway through the season and you're only 2 games out from a playoff spot.  The Eagles were 4-6 this year and made the playoffs.

8 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

And the Colts in 2011 when they "Sucked for Luck?"

Raiders went 2-2 over their last 4, 3-4 over their last 7. For a team that went 4-12 on the season, they did everything they possibly could to drop their draft slot. Literally the opposite of tanking.

Nope, current system is fine, plus NFL players are more likely to bust than NBA,  tanking in the NFL doesn't guarantee landing a franchise player...get lucky and find that next superstar in round 5, while your first rounder won't get a second contract...

10 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Knew who posted this even before I clicked on it. No one but Wally

He wants every sport to be run the same way and how boring would that be?

No