Wallyhorse

Should the NFL go to a draft lottery?

NFL Draft Lottery  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NFL go to a Draft Lottery similar to the NBA for non-playoff teams?

• Yes
    • No

Too much pride in the game for tanking. How often do bad teams win late against a better team to ruin playoff chances within their division. 

Sure there are are some bad teams that surprise no one, but not even the Browns were purposefully bad. 

2 hours ago, homerpat said:

Too much pride in the game for tanking. How often do bad teams win late against a better team to ruin playoff chances within their division. 

Sure there are are some bad teams that surprise no one, but not even the Browns were purposefully bad. 

And what happens if you have a year where say the Eagles go 10-6, miss the playoffs but actually win the lottery and get the #1 overall pick?

BTW, the team that had the best record in the NBA to win the lottery was the Magic the year after they got Shaq I believe that finished 41-41 and had only ONE ping-pong ball and still got the #1 overall pick.  In more recent years, there have been teams in the NBA in the west who have had 48-49 wins and yet were in the lottery. 

7 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Not sure this needs to be said, but the NFL isn’t the NBA. 

True, but don't you think the TV ratings for an NFL Draft Lottery would be high, especially among cities whose teams are actually IN the lottery?

11 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

True, but don't you think the TV ratings for an NFL Draft Lottery would be high, especially among cities whose teams are actually IN the lottery?

Not sure why I care about the TV ratings. If the Eagles have a season bad enough to earn the top overall pick, but they end up picking later because of a lottery, I won’t give a damn about ratings. If a player the Birds could have had at a spot they warranted being in, but didn’t because of a lottery, and he goes on to have a great career elsewhere, I’m not going to look back later on and say, ‘Yeah we could have had that here, but do you remember the ratings that year?’

42 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Not sure why I care about the TV ratings. If the Eagles have a season bad enough to earn the top overall pick, but they end up picking later because of a lottery, I won’t give a damn about ratings. If a player the Birds could have had at a spot they warranted being in, but didn’t because of a lottery, and he goes on to have a great career elsewhere, I’m not going to look back later on and say, ‘Yeah we could have had that here, but do you remember the ratings that year?’

It works both ways.  It gives the more mediocre teams a better chance of improving by having a(n albeit slim chance) at getting a top four pick.  In recent years in New York, there has been talk the Jets and Giants should BOTH have been tanking to get the #1 pick and some people openly wishing for losses.  That would eliminate a lot of that talk. 

2 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

It works both ways.  It gives the more mediocre teams a better chance of improving by having a(n albeit slim chance) at getting a top four pick.  In recent years in New York, there has been talk the Jets and Giants should BOTH have been tanking to get the #1 pick and some people openly wishing for losses.  That would eliminate a lot of that talk. 

For starters, I don't care what people talk about. I follow next to no sports coverage, so talk means little to me. Next, mediocre teams can move up via trades if they'd like to get a pick closer to the top of the draft. 

On 2/1/2019 at 12:51 AM, Wallyhorse said:

And what happens if you have a year where say the Eagles go 10-6, miss the playoffs but actually win the lottery and get the #1 overall pick?

Ok and what happens if say you have a year where the eagles go 2-14 but another team that went 10-6 missed the playoffs got the number one pick?

Would you still be in favor of a draft lottery???

13 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Ok and what happens if say you have a year where the eagles go 2-14 but another team that went 10-6 missed the playoffs got the number one pick?

Would you still be in favor of a draft lottery???

Actually, yes:

There already has been been talk of the Dolphins going into total tank mode in 2019 to set themselves up to land Tua in the 2020 NFL Draft (or Justin Herbert) and that's what a draft lottery would prevent.  No matter how many players have pride, some NFL teams may be stripped bare almost to get that QB at all costs otherwise and that's what a draft lottery tries to prevent.  

1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

Actually, yes:

There already has been been talk of the Dolphins going into total tank mode in 2019 to set themselves up to land Tua in the 2020 NFL Draft (or Justin Herbert) and that's what a draft lottery would prevent.  No matter how many players have pride, some NFL teams may be stripped bare almost to get that QB at all costs otherwise and that's what a draft lottery tries to prevent.  

Talk by who, bunch of media heads tryin g to generate headlines.

Its tough to tank in the nfl because there are only 16 games and even then its not like in basketball where there are only two rounds and even then most 2nd rounders in nba dont pan out.

The nfl draft is a crap shoot, top picks bust all the time while 5th rounders make all pros.

The benefits of tanking to get a higher pick just doesnt have alot of merit.

If tanking to get top picks in the draft were succesful than the browns not the patriots would be winning super bowls.

If the NBA wanted to reverse tanking, the draft order would be based on:

Take the 14 worst teams in the league at the end of the season (lottery teams now)  and reverse the order in which they finished.  Take the first 5 teams and have a 5 team lottery.  Then take the other 9 and have a lottery.  No differences in number of ping pong balls.

The worst 9 teams in the league still have a chance at a top 10 pick.

2 hours ago, Utebird said:

Talk by who, bunch of media heads tryin g to generate headlines.

Its tough to tank in the nfl because there are only 16 games and even then its not like in basketball where there are only two rounds and even then most 2nd rounders in nba dont pan out.

The nfl draft is a crap shoot, top picks bust all the time while 5th rounders make all pros.

The benefits of tanking to get a higher pick just doesnt have alot of merit.

If tanking to get top picks in the draft were succesful than the browns not the patriots would be winning super bowls.

Actually, this was by John Jastremski of WFAN in New York who is a longtime Dolphins fan.  He noted the moves the Dolphins are making strongly suggest they are tanking to get Tua or Justin Herbert with the #1 pick in 2020.

the NHL has a lottery, thanks to the Pittsburgh Penguins..who practically stated that they were tanking to get Sidney Crosby...as such there is a lottery between the non playoff teams....and even if you finish dead last the chances of getting the #1 pick are 30%..I Think...

The NFL players themselves don't tank. They put to much of their bodies on the line to try to lose games for non guaranteed contracts. NFL players also have a short shelf life and they don't want to waste a year of it on a bad team if they don't have too. The closest teams get to tanking is when they strip the team of all of its talent and hope it's good enough to suck. 

On 2/4/2019 at 3:22 PM, Wallyhorse said:

Actually, this was by John Jastremski of WFAN in New York who is a longtime Dolphins fan.  He noted the moves the Dolphins are making strongly suggest they are tanking to get Tua or Justin Herbert with the #1 pick in 2020.

Then what was the point of firing Gase then? If they had no intentions of winning this year then why bother hiring another coach? 

On 2/6/2019 at 11:55 PM, bwestbrook36 said:

Then what was the point of firing Gase then? If they had no intentions of winning this year then why bother hiring another coach? 

Good question, unless sponsors wanted Gase out.

On 2/6/2019 at 11:55 PM, bwestbrook36 said:

To let a new, presumably better coach, get his program in place. Would make it easier on s rookie qb imo.

As for a lottery, I am completely neutral on it. I don't care if they do or they don't.